DIY Stand on Tailgate and fill Double Barrel Directional Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Stand on Tailgate and fill Double Barrel Directional Feeder

I had the idea a while back to make a Double Barrel “Stand on Tailgate and Fill Feeder”. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ighlight=stand

I could have gone with a 90 gallon barrel and achieved similar results but those barrels cost about $90 and then I’d have to buy the rest of the materials… so the build got put on hold.

Fast forward 3 or 4 months, a Double barrel feeder shows up in the classifieds for $50. Game on! I figured this would be a relatively fast build with little complications…. HA these builds always seem to morph into more and need way more effort.
    Once the feeder was received I decided to also make it a directional feeder while I was at it.

I bought one of those ultramatic type directional feeder assembly’s.
    I fabricated a large plate that would attach to bottom of the feeder stand. One large obstacle was the funnel did not clear the 1 by 3 box metal base. This meant that the spinner would not fully clear the base. Luckily I was able to find some metal rings at the scrap yard that fit perfect and it dropped the funnel down enough for my needs. I then fabricated a metal shroud to extend the directional shroud that was already part of the assembly. I them encapsulated it. Then after discussing with a buddy he mentioned that if I have hogs they will surely break the feeder box if I didn’t cage it…. So I build an additional metal box that covers and protects the entire feeder assembly.
    Next was the solar panel mount and cutting down the feeder legs to make a sleigh. I wanted a solar panel mount that was protected with no exposed wires and did not hinder transport. I added some ½” round bar to the sleigh for further protection and could be used as a ladder of sorts. I achieved my plan but it was way more time consuming than I had thought. The good news is it’s done and it should be Varmint, Hog, and Aoudad proof!
    The feeder throws about 15 yards with the bulk of the corn landing 8 yards and in.
    Attached Files

More pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice work! How does it throw corn?

Comment

Heck yeah...that will work!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
          Nice work! How does it throw corn?
          It throws it about as I expected, I tested it with and without the added shroud. Honestly there was no difference.

When it first starts to spin there is a decent amount that shoots out about 1 to 2 yards and then the rest is flung further. It has to clear the plate of the corn sitting on the spinner before it can fling it further.

10 yards is about the max distance with the majority between 2 and 5 yards. A few kernels made it 15 yards but they were the exception.

For my setups with a pen this is perfect.

Comment

Cool build. That should stay full for a while and looks very heavy duty.

I have a similar barrel design sitting at the ranch.
            This motivates me to cut it down into something similar to this. Weld on the skids...etc.
            I will probably weld a cage on the bottom and do a conventional slinger though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Where are you buying 90 Gallon barrels at for $90?

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                Where are you buying 90 Gallon barrels at for $90?
                Same question here!

Comment

saw some in the Houston classifieds a while back. I believe they were in the Pasadena area. I haven't looked in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                    saw some in the Houston classifieds a while back. I believe they were in the Pasadena area. I haven't looked in a while.
                    Craigslist is what I meant

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                        That’s funny because I saw the same ad and bought all the guy had. I got 10 total.

Comment

Great setup you built!!!!! I used an 85 gallon barrel like many others on here have done. My barrel cost $85 about 15 years ago. If you found one for $90 that was a bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                            Cool build. That should stay full for a while and looks very heavy duty.

I have a similar barrel design sitting at the ranch.
                            This motivates me to cut it down into something similar to this. Weld on the skids...etc.
                            I will probably weld a cage on the bottom and do a conventional slinger though.

You and me both. I’d like to do something with this thing since I’ve switched to stand n fills on all my other feeders. This one still kicks my butt [emoji30]

Comment

Forgive my ignorance but what's the point of it being directional if it doesnt throw very far? Wouldnt a broadcast type be the same? I like to hide my directional feeder so it looks like hand corn but 10 yards wouldnt be enough to clear the brush its hiding in.

Comment

Working...
                              X