No announcement yet.

protein question for the experts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would ditch the corn out of hunting season unless you are using it to attract something else... throw in protein year round and keep your feeders full... can't hurt...

Two or three feeders...

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
      I would ditch the corn out of hunting season unless you are using it to attract something else... throw in protein year round and keep your feeders full... can't hurt...

Two or three feeders...
      this is what I was thinking,
      If you have food plots you probably have plenty of food available, but by having protein in place, the deer will be used to it, and when we have a dry summer, the deer will probably hammer your protein, so I think you would see the biggest differences in dry years, and less of a difference in plentiful years
      ...just my theory, don't have anything to back this up

Comment

Originally posted by Eskimo2 View Post
        I'd say this. You just have to be prepared to watch / listen to your neighbor shoot your protien fed deer. But that's really no different than any other low fence place. For every deer that may leave your place, another is likely to be coming in from your neighbor. The better the food, the more likely they are to stay on your place.
        Totally agree with Eskimo...The deer in my avatar was killed on my dad's 110 acre ranch in which there are only about 30-35 acres to hunt. After two years you could definitely notice a difference with both young and mature bucks. But when I finally was able to take him it was all worth it for me,

Comment

Didn't think of this but I like this idea, not a huge difference in cost and still have the same benefits of it being an attractant and provide a better source of nutrition at the same time. Great idea Marko

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

Two or three feeders...

Comment

It is a HUGE attractant, we pull deer from all over the place. Most of our neighbors only feed corn from October through December. I had easily 20-25 different bucks on TC last fall, on only 125 acres. Not bad for East Texas.

Comment

Discuss aging, scoring, management ideas and all things related to improving hunting conditions

Comment

protein can only help a deer. Ditch the corn, put you a couple of protien feeders centrally located on the place and open your spinnerplate on your corn feeder up and throw shelled peanuts from your corn feeders. Your neighbors that hunt will hate you, but you will see plenty of deer. Shelled peanuts are like crack for deer, MUCH more than corn is.

Comment

Codie - Where do you buy shelled peanuts, at the feed store? Are you talking about the kind of peanuts they have at Texas Road house...

First I heard of feeding peanuts, but I have not been hunting long.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                    Codie - Where do you buy shelled peanuts, at the feed store? Are you talking about the kind of peanuts they have at Texas Road house...

First I heard of feeding peanuts, but I have not been hunting long.
                    OK, just saw your other post asking where to buy them.

Lee - If I was hunting your place I would set up a protein feeder (or 2 or 3). You may not get the same results that you would if you had 60 feeding stations on 25,000 acres, but I think you will get more deer, in particular bucks. I have 2 stands 500 yards apart. One with a protein feeder, corn feeder, and fence. The other with just a corn feeder. The 2 stands are like night and day. At the one without a protein feeder you would be lucky to even see a buck. I finally enclosed the other stand with a fence and set up a protein feeder. I am hoping this will make this spot better.

It might take a while for the deer to start eating it, but they will. You can mix in corn to begin.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                      protein can only help a deer. Ditch the corn, put you a couple of protien feeders centrally located on the place and open your spinnerplate on your corn feeder up and throw shelled peanuts from your corn feeders. Your neighbors that hunt will hate you, but you will see plenty of deer. Shelled peanuts are like crack for deer, MUCH more than corn is.
                      im listening... are you pulling my leg or is this really work?

Comment

I have some protein in my spinners year round and in late Aug early Sept. I will mix horns plus which is a mix of corn and roasted soybeans. They love the soybeans and its I think around 13% protein if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by leebtattoos View Post
                          im listening... are you pulling my leg or is this really work?
                          not pulling your leg at all

Comment

So where do you get shelled peanuts (hey it's worth a try) and how much are they relative to 50# bags of corn?

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                              So where do you get shelled peanuts (hey it's worth a try) and how much are they relative to 50# bags of corn?
                              I am working on that (location & price) right now. I will post up when I get the info. My uncle bought theirs in bulk, which we could do, but I would rather have them bagged.

Comment

Working...
                              X