Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preliminary weights and FOC on GT Kaos arrows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preliminary weights and FOC on GT Kaos arrows.

I did some preliminary playing with some items today and this is what i came up with. Let me hear it from everyone on their thoughts. Hopefully I will get to shoot these next week. Only problem with the footings is, I have to install the 2" 2013 footing before I epoxy the halfout in as it will not fit over the fletchings or over the halfout due to the halfout being tapered out from the end of the shaft out. The short, black footing will fit over the halfout so no problem there.
    I measured the entire length of the shaft and BH so the overall length I started with was 31 3/4" before I found the balance point of the arrow.
    Here you go:

Gold tip Kinetic Kaos 200
    Cut length 28” nock throat to end of shaft.
    3 5” right wing feathers
    Gold Tip Kaos nock
    Aeronock Stainless halfout @51 grains
    BH/point adapter by Tuffhead; 75 grains (short) and 125 grain (long)
    Big Foot carbon arrow footing kit #3, using the long aluminum piece 1” in length, 11.5 grains
    2013 aluminum footing 2” long, 17.8 grains
    Tuffhead Right Single bevel 225 grain broadhead.

These components have not been glued or epoxied together, just dry fitted, weighed on a grain scale and tested for FOC with the BH on. Arrows are fletched and cut with the nock installed. Here are the preliminary results:

Arrow w/75 grain BH adapter and no footings: 697 grains, 16.92% FOC

Arrow w/75 grain BH adapter and double footings: 747 grains, 19.29% FOC

Arrow w/125 grain BH adapter and no footings: 727 grains, 18.5% FOC

Arrow w/125 grain BH adapter and double footings: 777 grains, 20.07 FOC

In all honesty, I do not like the looks of no footings or the single 2013 (gold) footing. I like the looks of the double footings (gold & black). The black footing fits all the way up to the rear of the broadhead and is snug on the 2013 shaft along with the 2013 being snug on the Kaos shaft.
    The arrow weight of the 125 adapter and double footings puts me a little above the mark I was looking for while the 75 grain adapter puts me right in the middle of my target finished arrow weight.

Thoughts?

First pic is the whole arrow, 2nd is no footing, 3rd is the single and last is the double footing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0776[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	25061395

Name:	IMG_0779[1].jpg
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	25061396

Name:	IMG_0778[1].jpg
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	25061397

Name:	IMG_0777[1].jpg
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	25061398

I'm liking the whole arrow with both footings.

Comment

Looks good Mud , double footing all the way. As far as broadhead adapter weight let your tune decide which is best.

Comment

I'm with Fergeris. Both footings.

Your only around 27 above your target weight. That is still good.

Need to just see what speed are at so we can calculate the momentum.

Good thing is just change out the adapters if at the end you don't want the weight

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
          I'm with Fergeris. Both footings.

Your only around 27 above your target weight. That is still good.

Need to just see what speed are at so we can calculate the momentum.

Good thing is just change out the adapters if at the end you don't want the weight
          True on this. I am going to epoxy the halfouts in according to Dorge at Firenock and then use hot melt on the adapters and FP's and BH's.

Comment

FWIW i know you are using hot melt on the field point to broadhead for testing but you may want to use JB Weld on the final assb. I believe Joe also suggests JB Weld.
            I have a friend that has shot 2 water buffs with a 90# longbow and 1000gr arrows, hitting bone is going to happen and on his first 2 shoots 2 differnet Tuffheads broke loose at the epoxy he used, 2nd trip used JB Weld and Zero problems.
            Tuffheads are near bomb proof and penetrae awesome.

Comment

OK, the black 1" black footings from Vintage Archery I think are probably either a 2215 or 2214 shaft. A 2213 OD is .3175 and these fit over the 2013 without much slack and then fit over the end of the Aeronock halfout and bump up against the bottom of the BH adapter.
              A 2013 is .3125 OD with a 2215 being .31375 ID, a 2214 being.31575 ID, and a 2216 being .31175 ID.
              I think the 1" footing needs to be a 2215 for a good tight fit or am i looking at something that might be too tight and need to go to a 2214?
              I have measured with calipers, but with my eyesight and the, "do the lines line up on the calipers", might be making my figures a little off. Based on these figures, i think the 2215 is my best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by SAVIOUR68 View Post
                FWIW i know you are using hot melt on the field point to broadhead for testing but you may want to use JB Weld on the final assb. I believe Joe also suggests JB Weld.
                I have a friend that has shot 2 water buffs with a 90# longbow and 1000gr arrows, hitting bone is going to happen and on his first 2 shoots 2 differnet Tuffheads broke loose at the epoxy he used, 2nd trip used JB Weld and Zero problems.
                Tuffheads are near bomb proof and penetrae awesome.
                I agree. On the testing I will use epoxy to do the halfouts in the shaft, but use hot melt on the adapter and FP's and BH's. On the final make up when that is decided, I will use a Devcon 2 ton epoxy with a 2500 tensil strength on the halfout, and BH/adapter and probably on the double footing also.

Lots of fun fixing to happen next week hopefully.

Comment

Looks good, the double footing seems to be the best.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                    Looks good, the double footing seems to be the best.
                    I agree, just have to see what shoots or tunes best the 75 grain adapter or 125 grains adapter.

Comment

Mud what are the bow specs you are shooting ?

Comment

Originally posted by SAVIOUR68 View Post
                        Mud what are the bow specs you are shooting ?
                        Wait till you see this. That old man is still shooting 70 lbs. I'm hoping to be pulling 60 at his age.

Comment

62 years old and still shooting a High Country 2009 Speed Pro at 70#'s with a 29" draw. No problem on drawing since I lost 45#'s and started running an working out (lifting weight) about 2 years ago.
                          The arrows I have been using are GT 75/95 at 560 grains shooting 270 fps thru my cheap chrono!
                          No sense in spending a ton of money on a bow that will not shoot much faster than the one I have now with a 7 1/4' BH!

I will post all the speeds and such when I get all this stuff glued, epoxied and put together hopefully next week.
                          If I pass this SE test, you will definitely hear a yell from up here, but I am also remodeling a lot of my house so that will take up time instead of tinkering and shooting, BE PATIENT!

Comment

Man mudslinger you are a busy man lol lots going on

Comment

Halfouts are epoxied in 3 of the arrows and waiting until tomorrow for them to dry, then I will hot melt some adapters (75 and 125 grain) in the filed points and start shooting and tinkering.

Comment

Working...
                              X