Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Hillary
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria & Bandera County
Default Colorado, Unit 62, 3rd Season Mule Deer

Looking for advice, tips, if anyone has drawn or hunted this area.
We are 3rd season, Early November. I have found some info on-the-line but looking to see if anyone from TBH has experience in that area.

Thanks
Hillary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Hillary
Pope & Young

Bump for fun
Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 AM   #3
Billy02
Nubbin' Buck

Im sorry, i wish i could help. but best of luck
Billy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillary View Post
Bump for fun

Do you have a general area picked out? Is it your first time in 62? How do you feel about packing in 3 or 4 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Hillary
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen-Man View Post
Do you have a general area picked out? Is it your first time in 62? How do you feel about packing in 3 or 4 miles?

First time hunting in 62 and Colorado.
We donít have a set spot picked out yet, we are making a trip here in about a month to scout out as much as we can. Looking to stick towards the divide rd.
I feel comfortable packing out. We will be in a team of 2. If you have a location for us to check out I would be willing to put up with the pain!
Old 06-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

Your gonna see alot of orange. This is one of the most heavily hunted units in the state. Theres some big ones in there though. Good luck. I would try and get away from the divide as far as you can. That road is like an interstate of atvs during the season.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Pmíed you.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
Hillary
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutnBuk View Post
Your gonna see alot of orange. This is one of the most heavily hunted units in the state. Theres some big ones in there though. Good luck. I would try and get away from the divide as far as you can. That road is like an interstate of atvs during the season.

Thatís what I am finding about divide rd. We are going up in about a month to get a feel for the area.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Join, or at least follow, hunttalk forums. Search on there for unit 62. That forum has guys who have hunted elk, sheep, moose, and deer more hours than I have been alive.

If you really want to start scouting, start by desk scouting. Watch the Randy Newberg desk scouting video's. He will give you more tips and tricks, and your mind will be blown as to what is online that can help you narrow your search within the unit. For example, the state of Colorado has a website that shows various species winter ranges, summer ranges, migratory corridors, etc....his video's will point you to that stuff.

Call the local biologist, and even the ranger station. Those guys will have more info for you if you ask questions right. Gohunt has a story on how to ask the correct questions from a biologist.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/d...ng-a-biologist

Finally, don't ask questions like "what are some tips/tricks/places to check out". No one ever gives those out, and it comes across as lazy to guys and gals who put in the desk scouting/field scouting time, and they will be less likely to share anything with you. What specifically do you want to know?

I'm not trying to be a ****, but you will only get responses that are generally correct, like "there is lots of orange" or "there is not a lot of orange if you want to pack way in". Those two statements contradict each other, and do not help you very much in picking a spot to hunt.

Good luck this fall!
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
Hillary
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Good luck this fall!

I completely agree with your points.
I have been desk scouting for hours a day. My google earth has many pins at this point. I have also tracked migratory patterns and found the resource map you mentioned. Which has helped tremendously.
I am sure that we will have a large learners curve with things that you can only learn in the field.
I am also sure that I will have more specific questions when the hunt gets closer.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #11
moondog
Spike

Hunt In: Webb, Garza, Scurry and Borden Counties

I am planning a hunt there in September (archery elk). My 1st hunt in that area. I will let you know what I learn. Hopefully, have photos of what to look for .
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #12
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Guess yíall have seen reports of the of the Bull Draw Fire. Big section of divide road is closed. From Windy Pt west. I think it was 17 miles. Fire burning in 61. Iím leaving a week from today. 8/22/18
Hopefully itís under control by then, not holding my breath. If road is still closed will have to find a new honey hole or sneak in from the back side.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #13
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Guess yíall have seen reports of the of the Bull Draw Fire. Big section of divide road is closed. From Windy Pt west. I think it was 17 miles. Fire burning in 61. Iím leaving a week from today. 8/22/18
Hopefully itís under control by then, not holding my breath. If road is still closed will have to find a new honey hole or sneak in from the back side.

It's 19% contained as of now. I was out scouting earlier this summer when another section of Colorado was on fire. The main road was shut down, however it was only to get equipment/men in. On the way home, we were able to use the same road, pretty awesome watching those guys work. Hopefully it's the same situation for you, but I know at a certain point, the public land get shut down.

Hope your hunt works out!
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #14
Hillary
Pope & Young

I hate to hear about the fire.
Good luck with the scout. We had a great experience when we went a few weeks ago.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #15
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Quote:
I hate to hear about the fire.
Good luck with the scout. We had a great experience when we went a few weeks ago.

No scouting this trip. This is the real deal. Iíll call Monday and check on road closures and an update. Right now only plans that have changed is camp location. Iíll be in touch later next week.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #16
Hillary
Pope & Young

Quote:
No scouting this trip. This is the real deal. Iíll call Monday and check on road closures and an update. Right now only plans that have changed is camp location. Iíll be in touch later next week.

Oh that was a brain lapse on my end. Season snuck up on me!
Good luck!
Old 08-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #17
moondog
Spike

Counting the days, Leaving on the 14th.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #18
nonamehoff
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Join, or at least follow, hunttalk forums. Search on there for unit 62. That forum has guys who have hunted elk, sheep, moose, and deer more hours than I have been alive.

If you really want to start scouting, start by desk scouting. Watch the Randy Newberg desk scouting video's. He will give you more tips and tricks, and your mind will be blown as to what is online that can help you narrow your search within the unit. For example, the state of Colorado has a website that shows various species winter ranges, summer ranges, migratory corridors, etc....his video's will point you to that stuff.

Call the local biologist, and even the ranger station. Those guys will have more info for you if you ask questions right. Gohunt has a story on how to ask the correct questions from a biologist.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/d...ng-a-biologist

Finally, don't ask questions like "what are some tips/tricks/places to check out". No one ever gives those out, and it comes across as lazy to guys and gals who put in the desk scouting/field scouting time, and they will be less likely to share anything with you. What specifically do you want to know?

I'm not trying to be a ****, but you will only get responses that are generally correct, like "there is lots of orange" or "there is not a lot of orange if you want to pack way in". Those two statements contradict each other, and do not help you very much in picking a spot to hunt.

Good luck this fall!
What he said! Randy has a great E-Scouting Elk series that is helping me plan for my next elk hunt.
nonamehoff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2018, 10:20 PM   #19
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Well Iím back. Weather was great! Hunted 6 days. Never saw or herd an elk. Saw a few fork horn mule deer bucks but mostly does. Saw a few fresh elk tracks after Divide Road was opened up. We hiked in an area about 5 miles on first day road opened, first ones in area and saw 0 elk. Great trip if you leave out game seen. Hopefully we were just there to early. Hopefully the good lord blesses yíall that are going up later with a good hunt.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #20
Hillary
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well Iím back. Weather was great! Hunted 6 days. Never saw or herd an elk. Saw a few fork horn mule deer bucks but mostly does. Saw a few fresh elk tracks after Divide Road was opened up. We hiked in an area about 5 miles on first day road opened, first ones in area and saw 0 elk. Great trip if you leave out game seen. Hopefully we were just there to early. Hopefully the good lord blesses yíall that are going up later with a good hunt.

Well I wanted to hear a better report from your trip! But that area is beautiful and you canít go wrong being in Colorado, ever. Glad yíall had a good trip regardless.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #21
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Well I wanted to hear a better report from your trip! But that area is beautiful and you canít go wrong being in Colorado, ever. Glad yíall had a good trip regardless.

Yes it is beautiful. 36 degrees last morning we were there. Hated to come home. Hopefully we were just a few weeks to early and you have a great trip.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #22
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

I have been hunting bow hunting elk in 62 since 2002. We have always taken our mules and packed in. I have never been there that late but we have been drawn for the second rifle season this year. Will be a completely different experience for me. Good luck on your hunt.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #23
Needmo
Four Point

Hunt In: Bosque & Hamilton Counties

Be careful up there in November. We have been snowed out of higher elevations in unit 62 during the early first season rifle (elk) hunts. If the snow gets too deep, try the transfer road (it's the first road to the right after you cross into the NF off of 90/ Divide Rd.) and keep heading North/ North East there are some lower elevations in there that hold deer and elk when the snow is on. If you make it far enough there is an electrical substation on the right. At that substation there is a road that goes down into a big canyon that we have seen a lot of deer and elk in the late seasons (November.) Be very aware of the weather if you drive down into the canyon, its narrow and the road is almost impassible when wet. Good luck, we will be in unit 81 hunting deer and elk.
Needmo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #24
moondog
Spike

OKAY, I'm back. Did not take a shot but saw numerous elk (and bears). While I was there, it was very dry. I was told "if you want to find elk, find water". Most of the elk were at slightly lower elevations, in the oak brush. First the acorn crop is very good and some of the creeks had decent water holes.
Here are the coordinates to where I camped, N38*18.154', W108*04.430 .
Here are the coordinates to where I saw quite a few elk, N38*18.897', W108*01.818 .
The elk I found were several miles in (on foot). The elevation change is dramatic for a "fat, old" guy.
All that being said, we finally got some rain a couple of days before I left and a light dusting of snow, once. By the 2nd season, I expect the elk will have moved, but what do I know about that? Just speculation.
Incredible trip, would do it all again, exactly the same. Yes disappointed that I did not harvest a bull (had an either/or tag, but chose not to shoot a cow), but if you can't enjoy that area and just "being there"... probably need to find another hobby.
Hillary, PM for additional info, if you like!