Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 06-07-2018, 05:21 AM   #2051
Bowhuntinonly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Decker Prairie Tx.

Love me some honey, I got 2 and a half gallons out of a rent house last week!
Bowhuntinonly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #2052
elgato
Ten Point

Sunn hemp, cowpeas, soybeans, buckwheat and sunflower planted late April. The mix has done really well everywhere planted this year. This with heavy utilization.
Attached Images

elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #2053
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Dang
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #2054
Puncher51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Holy smokes! That’s a jungle!
Puncher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #2055
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Sunn hemp, cowpeas, soybeans, buckwheat and sunflower planted late April. The mix has done really well everywhere planted this year. This with heavy utilization.
Looking awesome Gato! Just need a little devil's lettuce in the mix
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #2056
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
First batch of honey in for the year. Very light colored. Suspect mostly clover. 8 gallons plus all the little honey bears
Very nice!!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #2057
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Old Mexico

Quote:
that looks like a scene out of a horror movie. You are just missing the machete!

I know you do a ton to improve your soils, but do you feel like the floods had a beneficial effect on your soil? I have always heard that flooding is good for soil rejuvenation, but in some ways I think it may hurt you as your soils are drastically improved relative to the surrounding areas.

Also, I have a ranch question for you. Did y’all ever kill Dos Sientos? You sent me a video that followed him a few years ago. Figured he should be 7-8 years old now. He was a cool buck!
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #2058
elgato
Ten Point

I think flooding on net is good for the soil in most places. Interestingly here on our farms the flooding occurs where we have red brick clay. I only have one plot that floods regularly and it is one of my science projects. It is hard red clay and I have been planting hemp, heavy rye and all sorts of stuff to see if I can change its structure, I haven't really seen flooding help it much.The habitat is entirely different where we flood vs. not with different plant species and growth patterns. Very productive in many ways. The pic I posted is from a field that never floods.

I also am involved with property between the Ms. river levee and the river. It floods annually and is some of the most fertile soil in the country. It is amazing what the river does for the soils there. Top soil is several feet thick.

Dos Cientos... At 7 he damaged the left side of his rack in velvet and was wildly nontypical on that side. Well over 200" but I let him go hoping he would balance out at 8 last year. We got pics of him in hard antler and he was spectacular. Nontypical but very balanced as he had been most of his life. Again well over 200". I had him as a top priority, While we got pics of him in October he was never seen at all after that. I do not know if he just went underground with the lush ranch conditions of last year or a lion got him. Fingers crossed but I'm fear the worst as he was always so mellow and visible.

There were several deer on the ranch last year that never showed up. Big ones. I've never had predator phobia but when they start killing several 200" deer a year things may change.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:18 PM   #2059
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Really enjoying this thread. Excellent work Mr Gato
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #2060
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Old Mexico

Quote:
I think flooding on net is good for the soil in most places. Interestingly here on our farms the flooding occurs where we have red brick clay. I only have one plot that floods regularly and it is one of my science projects. It is hard red clay and I have been planting hemp, heavy rye and all sorts of stuff to see if I can change its structure, I haven't really seen flooding help it much.The habitat is entirely different where we flood vs. not with different plant species and growth patterns. Very productive in many ways. The pic I posted is from a field that never floods.

I also am involved with property between the Ms. river levee and the river. It floods annually and is some of the most fertile soil in the country. It is amazing what the river does for the soils there. Top soil is several feet thick.

Dos Cientos... At 7 he damaged the left side of his rack in velvet and was wildly nontypical on that side. Well over 200" but I let him go hoping he would balance out at 8 last year. We got pics of him in hard antler and he was spectacular. Nontypical but very balanced as he had been most of his life. Again well over 200". I had him as a top priority, While we got pics of him in October he was never seen at all after that. I do not know if he just went underground with the lush ranch conditions of last year or a lion got him. Fingers crossed but I'm fear the worst as he was always so mellow and visible.

There were several deer on the ranch last year that never showed up. Big ones. I've never had predator phobia but when they start killing several 200" deer a year things may change.
Hope it was just a case of big deer getting lost in a sea of brush. My fingers are crossed for ya. In a couple of months I am sure you will know more.....
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 12:18 AM   #2061
No-Tox
Four Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Elgato - I'm finally starting some good cucumber production. Made the first batch of pickles this past weekend. Tomatoes are kicking in too and the corn ended nicely.
No-Tox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 12:26 AM   #2062
bukkskin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
Elgato - I'm finally starting some good cucumber production. Made the first batch of pickles this past weekend. Tomatoes are kicking in too and the corn ended nicely.
Mmmmm-mmmmmm!!!
That looks delicious.
As always, way to go Rusty and family.
Oops, way to go no tox. Lol

Last edited by bukkskin; 07-04-2018 at 12:29 AM.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #2063
elgato
Ten Point

I’m so glad you posted those pics.we are all in Colorado escaping the heat and I’m missing my garden. Been watching gardening YouTube’s.....desperate Looking good
Old 07-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #2064
elgato
Ten Point

I have an 18 acre field that is red brick clay. Hard as a rock!. I call it my science project and have been working for years to try and loosen soil. When wet it grows well but cracks wide open when dry. I planted a bit over 11 lbs sunn hemp/acre along with the rest of my mix mentioned above. Everything came up and the buckwheat went to seed. Then we had a rainy week and the sunn hemp exploded! I decided to mow it back to about 2-3' and let it start growing again. I understand this causes more root growth which I think may help that tough soil. I did about half the field. It got quite tall and thick choking everything else out .
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #2065
ethic1
Six Point

Man your Sunn hemp has done awesome Rusty! I planted some but I donít think I got it deep enough or something as I havenít seen much growth.

My 2.5 acres of cowpeas on the other hand are doing awesome and are getting nailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #2066
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

I love seeing your food plots! Keep up the good work!
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #2067
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Can barely see that tractor in there! Wow.

Ethic those peas look awesome.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #2068
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Quote:
I love conversations that don't need me. Do what garguy says Jason.

Here's one more from my buddies side. I saw him two years ago then he disappeared. We never got a picture, saw him in summer, nor hunting season last yr. He best not walk by me again this yr.
Is this the dead deer you found in the flooded area?
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #2069
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
Is this the dead deer you found in the flooded area?
Hmmmm, without going back and figuring out which deer and when if you will give me a post # I'll take a look. Too many bucks for me to keep up with.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #2070
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
Hmmmm, without going back and figuring out which deer and when if you will give me a post # I'll take a look. Too many bucks for me to keep up with.
1532 was the post number. I was reading back thru and he looked really similar to the buck you said you found (post 1965) when the flood waters came down

Last edited by sweetinlow660; 07-15-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #2071
texastiger1984
Nubbin' Buck

Don't have time to read through 42 pages but curious to know a little background. Is this your farm or are you managing for others? What parish is it in and how many acres are we talking? Do you have an ag background or have you learned through years of trial and error?
texastiger1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #2072
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastiger1984 View Post
Don't have time to read through 42 pages but curious to know a little background. Is this your farm or are you managing for others? What parish is it in and how many acres are we talking? Do you have an ag background or have you learned through years of trial and error?
Not trying to offend, so dont take it that way, but do yourself a favor and read all 42 pages of the thread, even if it takes you a week. This is probably the best, most informative post on this entire forum, and you will enjoy every post Rusty makes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #2073
texastiger1984
Nubbin' Buck

No offense taken. I haven't been here in a while but remember reading most of this thread in its' early days. Just rediscovered it recently and have been trying to get caught up. I'm just genuinely interested in how the heck he found himself in this line of work. It's fascinating and i'm insanely jealous.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #2074
the marshall
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

Quote:
No offense taken. I haven't been here in a while but remember reading most of this thread in its' early days. Just rediscovered it recently and have been trying to get caught up. I'm just genuinely interested in how the heck he found himself in this line of work. It's fascinating and i'm insanely jealous.
subscribe to the thread it is worth it. Lots of good information
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #2075
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
1532 was the post number. I was reading back thru and he looked really similar to the buck you said you found (post 1965) when the flood waters came down
That is some excellent forensic work. Yes same deer I think from year before as pic was in 2016. I saw him during the summer last year in a vetch field and now that we can compare the pic to the rack in '17 looks like he may have gone down a bit. Was an old codger. Shame we couldn't get someone on him.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #2076
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Unless you have severe insomnia I'll save you a bit of historical reading and try to answer your questions. It is my farm and I have had complete mgt. control for over 40 yrs. Guess that ages me. I'm in Rapides Parish with the farm being a bit over 1300 acres. My background is business though I have had the wonderful opportunity to befriend and work with some of the top biologist in the country.{ One just named his puppy after me ] Beyond that there has been extensive trial and error....lots of error!

My career has given me the delightful opportunity to play deer and habitat manager for many years. It afforded me the farm and a ranch along the Rio Grande where I can celebrate being at play in the fields of the Lord. It is a blessing along with countless others to numerous to count.

As always I appreciate the encouraging comments about this thread.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:48 AM   #2077
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
That is some excellent forensic work. Yes same deer I think from year before as pic was in 2016. I saw him during the summer last year in a vetch field and now that we can compare the pic to the rack in '17 looks like he may have gone down a bit. Was an old codger. Shame we couldn't get someone on him.
Lol. Thanks. Itís not really that hard to pick out and recognize an 8 point that goes over 160Ē. He had a very distinctive forward leaning frame as well. Youíve got an amazing place love tagging along for the ride.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #2078
texastiger1984
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Unless you have severe insomnia I'll save you a bit of historical reading and try to answer your questions. It is my farm and I have had complete mgt. control for over 40 yrs. Guess that ages me. I'm in Rapides Parish with the farm being a bit over 1300 acres. My background is business though I have had the wonderful opportunity to befriend and work with some of the top biologist in the country.{ One just named his puppy after me ] Beyond that there has been extensive trial and error....lots of error!

My career has given me the delightful opportunity to play deer and habitat manager for many years. It afforded me the farm and a ranch along the Rio Grande where I can celebrate being at play in the fields of the Lord. It is a blessing along with countless others to numerous to count.

As always I appreciate the encouraging comments about this thread.
Prime real estate in rapides! Had a roommate @ LSU from Eleck. Is your place low fence, i know that's usually the norm in Louisiana/MS. We have about 175 acres in Liberty, MS where i hunt that i'd love to turn into a deer haven. But my dad is retired and now plays with cows up there so i can't do a lot of thing's i'd like to. Plus, its a 6hr drive now living in Houston.

One day I hope to be able to get out of the city and live the type of life you're living.

Thanks for sharing your experience & wisdom!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #2079
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Prime real estate in rapides! Had a roommate @ LSU from Eleck. Is your place low fence, i know that's usually the norm in Louisiana/MS. We have about 175 acres in Liberty, MS where i hunt that i'd love to turn into a deer haven. But my dad is retired and now plays with cows up there so i can't do a lot of thing's i'd like to. Plus, its a 6hr drive now living in Houston.

One day I hope to be able to get out of the city and live the type of life you're living.

Thanks for sharing your experience & wisdom!
Eleck. Lol! Thatís the nickname for Alexandria. I grew up 30 min south of there in Cheneyville. Even had a few good times at LSU A.
Alex is the big city we went to when it was time for major groceries and clothes.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #2080
texastiger1984
Nubbin' Buck

Know a guy from my LSU days from Chaneyville, M. Munson.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #2081
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Know a guy from my LSU days from Chaneyville, M. Munson.

I know the Munsons. They owned property and a big home on Bayou Boeuf.

We used to call it the old Munson place.

Was it Mike? I remember one that was older than me who was a heck of a ball player. I think his name was Mike.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #2082
texastiger1984
Nubbin' Buck

Myles Munson. I didnít know him in high school but I know he was an athlete. He was big into wake boarding. Heís friends with my freshman year roommate from Eleck. Andrew Gremillion. Thatís how we all knew each other, used to hang out a lot back in the day, hell that was 15 years ago now

Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 AM   #2083
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Myles Munson. I didnít know him in high school but I know he was an athlete. He was big into wake boarding. Heís friends with my freshman year roommate from Eleck. Andrew Gremillion. Thatís how we all knew each other, used to hang out a lot back in the day, hell that was 15 years ago now

LOL! Y'all are babies. I probably knew his daddy
Old 07-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #2084
elgato
Ten Point

My dad took me to the Munson plantation when I was a youngster. They were friends. That. Was prolly over 50 yrs ago. Guess that might have been the grandad
Old 07-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #2085
elgato
Ten Point

Let the new season begin.....
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #2086
elgato
Ten Point

Another look. 5 yr old
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #2087
ParishTiger
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:

How long have you been involved with this property?
ParishTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #2088
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParishTiger View Post
How long have you been involved with this property?
Its called Winter Quarters and my father put the deal together in the late 60's.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #2089
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Oh yeah! and another month of tine length ahead!
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #2090
texastiger1984
Nubbin' Buck

Let me know if you need some help working the farm. Iíll be glad to donate my time for a hunt ha

Those are some monsters. Headed to our farm for the first time in months to pull cameras for the first time this year. Excited to see what we have walking around

Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #2091
ethic1
Six Point

Best time of the year!! Keep the pics coming. What a hoss!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:47 PM   #2092
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Awesome buck
Old 07-20-2018, 12:31 AM   #2093
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Quote:
Let the new season begin.....

How many inches you think in on his g2ís

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 01:20 AM   #2094
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
My dad took me to the Munson plantation when I was a youngster. They were friends. That. Was prolly over 50 yrs ago. Guess that might have been the grandad
It was. Really good family. We used to rabbit and squirrel hunt the woods behind their place.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #2095
elgato
Ten Point

I know its a long time till season but still its fun to have teasers.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #2096
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
I know its a long time till season but still its fun to have teasers.
WOOOOOOWWW!!!! Awesome, Rusty!
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #2097
ethic1
Six Point

Old 07-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #2098
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Beast!!!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #2099
triple_duece
Four Point

Hunt In: Louisiana, Midwest

Moose!
triple_duece is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #2100
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Quote:
Myles Munson. I didn’t know him in high school but I know he was an athlete. He was big into wake boarding. He’s friends with my freshman year roommate from Eleck. Andrew Gremillion. That’s how we all knew each other, used to hang out a lot back in the day, hell that was 15 years ago now

Ha, who is this? I know Myles and Magan and Gremillion. Myles was a fraternity brother of mine. Small world.

Your deer are looking great. Growing up hunting in LA, this thread fascinates me. Our place in St. Francisville had the genetics but if it was brown it was down unfortunately. Deer went underground after opening weekend if they had antlers.

Last edited by TildenHunter; 07-26-2018 at 11:13 AM.
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top