Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 06-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
tdwinklr
Six Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX
Default plot supplements and such...

Who uses salt and/or mineral blocks? Buried or open?
We used them back home with good success, especially buried.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I’ve had good luck with TSC trace mineral blocks as far as deer using them. I think the jury is still out as far as how much good minerals actually benefit the deer. I use them to get pics of bucks and to look at my fawn crop.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 12:20 AM   #3
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Iíve had good luck with TSC trace mineral blocks as far as deer using them. I think the jury is still out as far as how much good minerals actually benefit the deer. I use them to get pics of bucks and to look at my fawn crop.
Same here. Put a Trace Mineral block next to a Salt block starting in Feb and they work on it pretty good up to early fall. Try to keep near water source too and I also use mostly for inventory.
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
Dushon
Ten Point

I use loose mineral, Purina brand. Have the last couple years. Not sure if itís doing any good but they sure hit it hard. Start feeding it right about the time antlers drop to when they get hard horned. Lots of studies on salt/minerals with cows that say to feed loose mineral. They just canít get enough with a block type feeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dushon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
elgato
Ten Point

I put them out every year. 20Plus stations on my farm. Frankly the deer hardly use them. Have used many different kinds over the years.For a few years I put out trophy rock. Then I shifted to Redmunds mineral which is same thing . Even though I see minimal deer use I keep putting them out cause its something I can do in the spring. Cheap and can't hurt anything.

I had one of the top biologist in the nation tell me to simply fertilize my food plots. Same outcome.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
tdwinklr
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushon View Post
I use loose mineral, Purina brand. Have the last couple years. Not sure if itís doing any good but they sure hit it hard. Start feeding it right about the time antlers drop to when they get hard horned. Lots of studies on salt/minerals with cows that say to feed loose mineral. They just canít get enough with a block type feeding

Interested, where would I find that? How much do you put out too?
thx
Old 06-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
Interested, where would I find that? How much do you put out too?

thx

My local feed store carries it. It comes in a 25 lb bag, and I just dump it on the ground in the protein pens. When I first started it, I dumped some corn on top and mixed it up a little bit. Donít have to do that anymore

Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I have also used the granular minerals in the past. I’ve used three different brands, but the one the deer liked the best was the 30-06 from Whitetail Institute. They really tore that up. But, since it’s the most expensive, I just switched to the blocks because I’m mostly interested in pics. I’ve never seen any definitive proof that they make a difference in deer health, but I don’t see how they can hurt.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #9
tdwinklr
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushon View Post
My local feed store carries it. It comes in a 25 lb bag, and I just dump it on the ground in the protein pens. When I first started it, I dumped some corn on top and mixed it up a little bit. Donít have to do that anymore

I like that idea more, they should find it easier too. But do the hogs bother it?

I think I'll still use a couple of salt blocks and bury them in the area to make some artificial salt licks as well.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
I like that idea more, they should find it easier too. But do the hogs bother it?

I think I'll still use a couple of salt blocks and bury them in the area to make some artificial salt licks as well.

Iím not sure onthe hogs, I would imagine so though. I feed it behind panels on the protein pens so the deer only have access to it

Old 06-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I remembered this thread today as I passed an old mineral site while mowing a trail that hasn't been mowed in over a year. I used to have a little secluded clover plot here but had to abandon it because the wind was always funky. This site was made 3 or 4 years ago with Whitetail Institute 30-06 granular minerals. As you can see, the hogs took it over. These holes are 12" to 18" deep and has obviously been worked this year, when the ground was wet. There were tracks in it that weren't very old also.

Still got a little of that WINA clover growing in there too, despite the fact that it hasn't been mowed, sprayed, or fertilized in 4/5 years.
Attached Images

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 06-12-2018 at 03:44 PM.