Sheet rocking tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
    Sounds to me more like they didn't get that part of your business and want to make sure they get paid for not getting that $$

I would say, well there is the door. bye!
    If you do a crappy job hanging, large gaps, holes, too many nails, over driven nails, edges not flush, overcuts at junction boxes, window reveals not shimmed, pieces cut leaving excessive seams, uneven cuts at outside corner, you won’t need to show me the door, I will find it quick enough. It’s easier to do a job right from the beginning than fix crappy work. The OP may do a bang up job, but if he doesn’t do it for a living, I doubt a contractor will appreciate his work.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
      Interview 5 new landscaper crews to take care of your yard.
      Say they all come up with a price of $45-$55 to do the entire yard a week.

Tell them that sounds fair, then tell them you plan on doing all the mowing and edging yourself, you just need them to clean up the flowerbeds & blow the concrete off. How does $10 sound?

Poof......They gone...

Same principle applies to the OP.
      Yeah I get it and that is their right to not do the work
      But to charge me more because I did some of the work as almost like a penalty for not using you, nah. Not cool.

The guy above said he is going to charge a person double assuming its hung just like he would do it. Why, if its just like you would do it? you charging me more because you didn't get that work?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
        If I was a sheet rocker I would charge you dbl to tape and float a job you hung. (Assuming it would look like I hung it).
        If you do a crappy job hanging, large gaps, holes, too many nails, over driven nails, edges not flush, overcuts at junction boxes, window reveals not shimmed, pieces cut leaving excessive seams, uneven cuts at outside corner, you won’t need to show me the door, I will find it quick enough. It’s easier to do a job right from the beginning than fix crappy work. The OP may do a bang up job, but if he doesn’t do it for a living, I doubt a contractor will appreciate his work.
        So you are saying if it looks bad, you would charge more. I can see that being the case.

I guess I was reading that even if it looked fine as if you hung it, double charge is still happening.

Comment

10-4. I'm on the other side of town near Boerne but might be able to come help you one or two weekends coming up. I haven't worked in Drywall for years and my hanging skills are prolly a little rusty but I'm good with finishing (tape/float/etc). Shoot me your number in a PM and I'll ping ya today or tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I never had any luck making it look right...

Comment

If I was a sheet rocker I would charge you dbl to tape and float a job you hung. (Assuming it would look like I hung it).
              I have never had this experience in any of my projects . My past experience is the Mudder/Taper finishing is done by a different crew or person than who actually hung the sheetrock. I have hung all of my own and just hired a finisher always.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                That’s a great tip! I’m actually going to hang some over existing sheet rock that has glued on foam tile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I learned the hard way and it took me a truck load of mud to get it to look half way right. My old ceiling was bowed so bad I had to use fended washers on the screws to keep them from pulling through the new drywall. After I got done, I thought of doing it with the strips. It would have made that job 1000x easier.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XST44kZ12f0&t=308s"]How To Drywall Without Sanding Part 1 - Tools And Supplies - YouTube[/ame]

watch this guy and the whole series, I think its one the best out there.
                  And if you're hanging sheetrock on the ceiling, get you a lift. They are pretty cheap and you can always resell it and get your money back when you're through.
                  Last edited by tdwinklr; 09-24-2020, 01:48 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                    They are going to charge more to fix all the mistakes they find after someone tried hanging it themselves.

It can work out but not very often.
                    This right here^^^^

Going in behind someone else who did not do the job correctly, or up to my standards creates more work therefore more $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilazo View Post
                      This right here^^^^

Going in behind someone else who did not do the job correctly, or up to my standards creates more work therefore more $$$.
                      How do you figure price? Per sqft?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                        How do you figure price? Per sqft?

I live in the commercial/industrial electrical world. Nothing is based on sqft pricing. Way too many variables compared to a drywall installation.

Comment

I don’t know how those guys eat. For what they charge to hang it... I’ll tear up and break more stuff than they charge to hang. I can tape good and they make my job way easier

Comment

Shop Calculated Industries Blind Mark Plastic Electrical Outlet Cutout at Lowe's.com. Perfect for first-time DIYs, the experienced handy person or those who do drywall infrequently, the patented Blind Mark electrical outlet locator uses powerful

get one of these it’s a tool to find and mark outlet boxes there awesome

Comment

Working...
                            X