Anyone in the roll off business??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone in the roll off business??

Thought about getting a few roll off dumpsters to maybe make some extra money....My concern is I am in a small town with only a few other small towns close by....

The waste disposal business is a tough one to break into -- the really profitable markets are already saturated and run and serviced by the corporate big guys.

You'll do better with the poop dumpers, but they usually come as a package.

I do know a woman that owns like 25 of the roll offs and over a 100 of the pots in a much smaller town than Hamilton, and they are all rented out -- like all the time.

You going to run the truck yourself?

Comment

Was planning on it at first and if it grew I would hire someone part time..

Comment

Anybody else?

Comment

I am not in the roll-off business, but I am PM for a general contractor and man oh man do we pay a pretty penny for roll-offs. The main thing for us is how fast can someone get out to get the dumpster and bring us a new one. I like the idea of port-o-cans, they make a pretty penny, and they can be rented to just about any construction site or event.

Comment

I was a roll off driver in Houston for almost 10 years. It is a capital intensive business with a lot of risk (one accident away from losing everything) and competition. I worked for a small company that only hauled scrap metal and sludge, that was great because they had a contract and guaranteed work everyday. Try to find a specialty that needs to be hauled often that is not related to construction.

Not sure about smaller cities, but you can make the same or better ROI with rental properties and not have to work 70 hours a week.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Thorcules View Post
              I am not in the roll-off business, but I am PM for a general contractor and man oh man do we pay a pretty penny for roll-offs. The main thing for us is how fast can someone get out to get the dumpster and bring us a new one. I like the idea of port-o-cans, they make a pretty penny, and they can be rented to just about any construction site or event.
              Where are y'all based out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyman View Post
                Where are y'all based out of.

Austin. So we are pretty hot right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would have a flatbed sled that can accept random size objects. Seems like there is always someone needing sheds, containers etc moved. I see a fleet of 3-4 F450s and 20-25 ft dumpsters everyday when I leave for work. Look busy to me. Versatility is key. Good drivers that take care of equipment is another subject.

Comment

Anybody else

Comment

I work with a guy that started it and he's covered up with business, always trying to buy new dumpsters. He's 2-3 weeks out.

IMO if the market is right then it's jump all over it. Just know when to bail out, cause when it crashes, you're gonna be stuck with a whole bunch of metal boxes rusting in your yard.

Comment

anybody else with info

Comment

I have a good friend that’s in this business and does pretty well. He also has the porta poop units and the portable fences. See lots of all three of these at the same site.

Comment

I could use a dumpster in Kempner right now and can't find anyone who will bring me one.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              I could use a dumpster in Kempner right now and can't find anyone who will bring me one.
                              Wish I was already set up...Pretty sure no one in Lampassas is doing dumpsters...There's several in Waco and they won't come to Hamilton..

Comment

Working...
                              X