Trail cams in hot weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post

Good idea. I’m going to try and make a few heat shields and see how that helps.

Comment

I’ve had almost all of my older Bushnell cams do that. At first I thought they were broken, but I figured it out. I try to put them in the shade but that doesn’t always help if the area they are pointed at is open. The ones in the thick woods don’t do that.

Comment

I just cut a couple buckets up. Longways in 1/3’s. I think they’ll make a pretty good little sunshade. We’ll see if that helps.

Comment

I've got one that uses IR and it helps cut down a lot on pics of blowing grass, dust devils, etc.

Comment

If your camera has a sensitivity adjustment set it on the highest setting. If it does not have a adjustment the heat will make it take pics when it is real hot.

Comment

I have this happen on 1 of my trophy cams. Only when it’s super hot.

Comment

If you face them to the north they don’t take as many pictures during the heat of the day of just nothing but if they are facing south they with take all kinds of pictures from what I have gathered. No matter the brand either.

Comment

I agree with facing them north, I feel like batteries die from heat before the camera will.

Comment

Yep Kyle, gave up last year. don't have any out yet... Only success I had was ones with shades from GunnyArt... I like to add side shields on 'em too. Tried to use coverts on our place last summer... killed my phone with so many pics of nothing...

Comment

Used to run them all year down south, but my camera bill got outrageous. I'd replace 3 or 4 a year at 100 a pop. Last couple of years I only started putting them out late July. Seems to help.

Comment

Mine have started taking pic of nothing for several hours during the hottest part of the day.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

We’ll see how this works. All my camera stands are 2x4s in buckets of concrete so I can put a couple screws on each one and be done quick.

Comment

Never had an issue in years. During high heat they will take more false pics.

Some of yall must post pics on FB too of your car reading over 100 degress too

Comment

Shading the camera will defenitly help. Most cameras become prone to an increase in sensitivity due to high heat. PIR Senors detect a change in the radiant heat in front of them. With ground and rock temps getting extremely high the camera will detect any blockage of said radiant heat. Therefore grass and or brush blowing in the wind will set them off. That includes stuff much further out than you would think...

We tape off the bottom (1/3 - 1/2) part of most of our PIRs to prevent ground level movement from setting them off. I know with a lot of the cams they have a "walk test" option. You can set camera to walk test and watch the cam to see how much movement sets it off. In addition, we generally set our cams to the lowest sensitivity level possible for the blazing summer heat.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                Never had an issue in years. During high heat they will take more false pics.

Some of yall must post pics on FB too of your car reading over 100 degress too

We don’t all have big bushy trees to put our feeders underneath! haha

Comment

Working...
                                X