Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
chunkinlead
Eight Point
 
chunkinlead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idalou
Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.
Default Dog training help

I have been working with my almost 9 month GSP on FF. I need some help from the trainers on here. He has hold down very well, but he absolutely will not “fetch” the pvc I am using with an ear pinch. We have been working on this for a month now and he still won’t. What am I doing wrong?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
Playa
Pope & Young
 
Playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

I don’t have the force fetch solution, but I could bring my dog out to spark some competition if you think that could help
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
GoneSouth
Six Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default

Have you tried the hump method
GoneSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 PM   #4
chunkinlead
Eight Point
 
chunkinlead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idalou
Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
I don’t have the force fetch solution, but I could bring my dog out to spark some competition if you think that could help
He loves to fetch Greg. And him and the springer are always competing when I have them together I was just hoping to FF him so he would be automatic retrieving birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
Have you tried the hump method
Haha I have not tried it. I hear it has only worked once though.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
hoghunter69
Ten Point
 
hoghunter69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: san antonio
Hunt In: looking for one
Default

call jeff brown at dawg on it retrievers in taft, tx i had the same problem with my lab, he fixed the problem, a great guy, who gets results, here is his number 361-793-1999 has great fascilities and training grounds, $700 a month i think
hoghunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
CaprockRoamer
Four Point
 
CaprockRoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lubbock Co.
Hunt In: Anywhere I can get permission
Default

Try a toe rope/hitch maybe?! Haven't had to use that method often, usually the ear pinch gets the desired results.
CaprockRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #7
Horn a holic
Eight Point
 
Horn a holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lindale, Texas
Hunt In: Antlers, Oklahoma
Default

You may try the toe hitch method. This method has worked on my GSP. Try Youtubing it to see how it works. Good luck!
Horn a holic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #8
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
Have you tried the hump method

When I saw the title I knew this comment was coming but I had no idea it would be post #3!
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
Tex21
Ten Point
 
Tex21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Huntington
Hunt In: Angelina, Val Verde Counties
Default

You may already be doing this but use something metal(collar buckle is what I used). Put part of his ear between the metal and your thumb to put more pressure when you pinch it.
Tex21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
rferg84
Pope & Young
 
rferg84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweetwater TX
Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkinlead View Post
I have been working with my almost 9 month GSP on FF. I need some help from the trainers on here. He has hold down very well, but he absolutely will not “fetch” the pvc I am using with an ear pinch. We have been working on this for a month now and he still won’t. What am I doing wrong?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My GSP doesn't like to retrieve unless there are other dogs around, I know it sounds weird. She will hold point all day long, she will honor point, but if we are by ourselves, she won't look for a bird. If there is a dog behind her, shes always the first one on it.

Just my experience lol.

I've got a great trainer in Abilene if you want a professional, let me know.
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
chunkinlead
Eight Point
 
chunkinlead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idalou
Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferg84 View Post
My GSP doesn't like to retrieve unless there are other dogs around, I know it sounds weird. She will hold point all day long, she will honor point, but if we are by ourselves, she won't look for a bird. If there is a dog behind her, shes always the first one on it.



Just my experience lol.



I've got a great trainer in Abilene if you want a professional, let me know.

That could possibly be the same way he is. When I have both dogs they won’t stop retrieving.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex21 View Post
You may already be doing this but use something metal(collar buckle is what I used). Put part of his ear between the metal and your thumb to put more pressure when you pinch it.

I am doing that and he will reluctantly open his mouth, but won’t actually go to the pvc.

I will try the toe hitch and see if it works. Thank y’all. I am hoping I can do it myself and not have to send him to a trainer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #12
chunkinlead
Eight Point
 
chunkinlead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idalou
Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.
Default

In just 2 days of using the toe hitch he is already grabbing the pvc. Thanks for the help hopefully he will keep getting better.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com