Picked up new truck and trailer today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
    So, what he’s trying to say is drop your axles to 7,000 lb singles and you should be under 26,001.

His machine weighs 14.5...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      I pull a 24’ lowboy on 7k singles with my 17’ 350 SRW. Technically I’m still in CDL territory. Truck GVWR is 11,500. Trailer GVWR is 15,850. Combined is 27,350 lbs. Luckily DOT doesn’t screw with single tandems much. The issue is if they saw that giant machine on a single tandem I’d bet they’d check him for being over loaded. I’ve got roughly 11k of payload left on my 24’ of the 15,850 GVWR. Nowhere near enough for that heavy machine, especially if I want to throw a bucket and post hole digger on the trailer as well.
      Better get a class A. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wouldn’t have guested that machine was more than truck.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        His machine weighs 14.5...

Comment

DOT sucks, ****ed if you do ****ed more if you don’t. You’ll either get popped with that rig for no CDL or you go singles, bend axles, blow out tires, and get popped for being overweight. Just bite the bullet and get the CDL, there’s nothing to research. Don’t try farm tags cause they’ll get you on that too!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
            I’ll do some research on it. I don’t want any bad dealings with the law dogs.

Thank y’all for the info.
            You'll also need a fire extinguisher, and safety triangles....seems like there's more but I can't think of it right now.

The advantage you have right now is that all of your stuff is new. Keep it all clean and looking squared away, and they will rarely mess with you as long as you have the numbers displayed. Get all the paperwork you need and keep it all together at arms reach in the truck (i use a bank bag), and keep your stuff looking nice, and you won't get bothered much. Unless you cross state lines, then I would recommend you try to do so on a smaller road.

Good luck with your venture.

Comment

Originally posted by STICKIT View Post
              Better get a class A. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
              It will require a class A, really crazy, my 68000 lb concrete trucks require a class B, never did understand how they come up with having to have a class A for pick up and trailer over 26K.

Comment

Curious why didn’t you buy yourself a dually? That’s a lot of machinery on a single rear wheel axel. I wish you were in East Texas I would throw some easy business your way.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                  It will require a class A, really crazy, my 68000 lb concrete trucks require a class B, never did understand how they come up with having to have a class A for pick up and trailer over 26K.
                  One because it’s commercial and two he is over 26k! That’s why I said he should of gotten a dually for two reasons. That’s a lot of weight for that single axel truck and it will be way more stable on a dually. I cringe thinking being behind that truck and he has a blow out. I hope his business excels but he needs to do some more research on what he has purchased so far. People think just because it’s a diesel truck it can do everything but that’s not the whole story.

Comment

I believe you will want a dually pretty soon as well. I sold mine a couple of years ago because I don’t haul that heavy anymore very often, but I miss it on the rare occasion that I do… That’s what they were made for.

Comment

That single axle will do just fine. Will a dually be a little more stable yes and def helps of he has a blowout. Single will pull it just fine and do what he needs to do. I pull some weight every day with mine and she has always trucked along.

Comment

Generally speaking all dual tandem trailers will put you in the CDL requirements. That's why you're seeing more single dual axle trailers on the road. Farm tags will usually pull the heat off for me, but with you having a company, that's out of the question.

To address some of the comments above, the only problem with the single dual axle trailers is on a 25 or 30' trailer, they're so easy to overload. My 30' deck over is only rated to haul 9,090 pounds. People always confuse their trailers GVWR with how much they can put on the trailer. Once you deduct the trailer weight from the GVWR, there's not much left on dual 7k axles. Since you got dual tandems it's obviously not a problem.

You got some awesome equipment. Good luck on your new business!
                        Last edited by Arrowthreat; 07-19-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I didn’t want a dually and I don’t need one. Would it be more stable, sure. But my truck will work just fine. I greatly appreciate all the helpful advice and info I’ve received from everyone so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                            I didn’t want a dually and I don’t need one. Would it be more stable, sure. But my truck will work just fine. I greatly appreciate all the helpful advice and info I’ve received from everyone so far.
                            Run the truck over the scales. My truck is very similar to yours, and has a payload capacity of 3283 lbs. Your rig is 14,500, and I’m guessing your trailer weight at roughly 6500-7000 lbs. A typical gooseneck load distributes 15-20% of total weight to the pin. That’s a pin weight of 3100-4100 lbs. The truck completely empty of tools and just that load could be legally overweight. The truck is more than capable of handling it, but that doesn’t mean DOT isn’t going to write you a very large ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              Run the truck over the scales. My truck is very similar to yours, and has a payload capacity of 3283 lbs. Your rig is 14,500, and I’m guessing your trailer weight at roughly 6500-7000 lbs. A typical gooseneck load distributes 15-20% of total weight to the pin. That’s a pin weight of 3100-4100 lbs. The truck completely empty of tools and just that load could be legally overweight. The truck is more than capable of handling it, but that doesn’t mean DOT isn’t going to write you a very large ticket.

Yep. If you get scaled, you’re axle weights have to be in spec too. You’ll have to learn where to park the machine on the deck.

Also, when it comes to single rear wheel vs dually, it’s not what the truck can handle, it’s what the tires can handle...and what happens WHEN you blow one out.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X