Covert solar panel + enloops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    Ah. Sorry for a simple question, but I'm new to these cameras and trying to learn how to use them.... So if Remote Control setting in the app is set to Real Time, the camera uses battery constantly checking in to see if any settings have been changed, but if I set it to some number of hours, then it only uses battery periodically (however many hours I set Remote Control setting to) in order to check for setting changes??

Yes sir like smart said once you get a solar panel setup you’ll be good to go on having remote control set at real time [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, guys. And, from some of y'all's other comments about time it takes to upload a pic to the cloud.... You recommend setting the time between pics to 3 or 4 minutes rather than 1 minute or less, right? I typically like 1 minute between pics. But if that doesn't work well, I'll adjust. Does having a solar panel change this, or is it simply a function of signal strength and upload speed regardless of battery and solar panel?

Comment

Leave it on real time when you first out it out so you can make quicker updates those first couple of days and once it’s like you want change to 24 delay.

Comment

Thanks, guys. And, from some of y'all's other comments about time it takes to upload a pic to the cloud.... You recommend setting the time between pics to 3 or 4 minutes rather than 1 minute or less, right? I typically like 1 minute between pics. But if that doesn't work well, I'll adjust. Does having a solar panel change this, or is it simply a function of signal strength and upload speed regardless of battery and solar panel?

If you have good signal you will get the notification about as fast as a typical text message takes to go through. If on a trail i do every 1 minute if on a feed station i do every 3 mins as i have high deer populations at most my spots so i spread the trigger out more so my sd doesn’t fill up as fast. Signal is the biggest factor in how fast you receive a pic.

Comment

Was told by a Covert several years ago to set it on no less than 3min to keep it from log jamming in less than ideal signal situations on feeder or high deer density areas. I was a one minute per person on TCs but on a feedpen, 3 is plenty with the wireless and you get used to it. I tried the 1 minute at my west Texas place and had instances of it locking up or fumbling and then sending me several pics an hour or two later. They may have improved on that but it’s served me well. Just feel out your individual camera and location. You’ll find in a feedpen situation that 3 is about perfect... and 1 is too many.

Comment

We have a pretty decent signal at our lease. I figure with the big double antennas, the camera will probably get better reception than my phone does. The spot I'm gonna put it is on a hill too, so I shouldn't have weak signal issues (hopefully).

Comment

We have a pretty decent signal at our lease. I figure with the big double antennas, the camera will probably get better reception than my phone does. The spot I'm gonna put it is on a hill too, so I shouldn't have weak signal issues (hopefully).

It will of course get better signal...

Comment

Yes cams get better signal than my iPhone 7s does. Ive been able to get away with 1 and 2 minutes but as others said I end up on 3 or 4 for pic consumption reasons typically.

Comment

If your phone works where you want to put your camera (and maybe even if it doesn’t) the camera will work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                      Y’all having any trouble with your Verizon cams? I called covert today and they said they are getting blown up with people saying their cameras aren't connecting. Mine hasn’t sent me pictures for 2 days now. They said it’s on Verizon’s end, that everyone that has called them has been Verizon.
                      Mine has been working great for the last month up until 3 days ago. No pics since. Hope they get it worked out soon on the Verizon end

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                        Y’all having any trouble with your Verizon cams? I called covert today and they said they are getting blown up with people saying their cameras aren't connecting. Mine hasn’t sent me pictures for 2 days now. They said it’s on Verizon’s end, that everyone that has called them has been Verizon.
                        Both of my Verizon cams have been working fine. Hope they don't go down

Comment

Well no luck on my cams in Mexico even with booster, the service is to spotty to justify leaving them down there. Next trip they’ll be making the trip home valiant effort though lol [emoji23]

Comment

I got the camera set up at the lease yesterday. Getting pics now. It was taking a lot of pics of the wind blowing. We cut down all the tall grass in front of it, but still got lots of wind pics. Either it was picking up moving trees back behind the feeder, or the wind was blowing the antennas and making the camera shake. I set sensitivity to Low, and that cut down on the wind pics a lot.

One thing that sucks is the extra charge to get high quality full resolution pics. That's BS. After paying for the camera and then paying a monthly subscription, you ought to have full access to all the pics at full resolution.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I got the camera set up at the lease yesterday. Getting pics now. It was taking a lot of pics of the wind blowing. We cut down all the tall grass in front of it, but still got lots of wind pics. Either it was picking up moving trees back behind the feeder, or the wind was blowing the antennas and making the camera shake. I set sensitivity to Low, and that cut down on the wind pics a lot.

One thing that sucks is the extra charge to get high quality full resolution pics. That's BS. After paying for the camera and then paying a monthly subscription, you ought to have full access to all the pics at full resolution.

If they allowed that you'd be paying a higher monthly data/subscription charge.

For 3 cents each I'd rather be able to call for the ones I want versus paying for everything up front. I have had my 2018 LTEs for 3 months and I bet I have have called for 12-15 pics total and my deer are get closed to being finished. I found most of the pics are good enough. That's 45 cents in a full billing period.. Before the 2018 cameras you got what you got. There was no calling for HD. I'm happy to have a choice.

If the tree or pole your camera is mounted to waves or moves in the wind, it will trigger pics. I secure my poles, cut grass in front of them and place the sensitivity on low. You can also use the timer to turn it off midday when the wind is at its highest. I don't have much problem with it.

Like I said above in another post.....folks including myself enter into this thing wanting it to be like a regular TC and expect it to be just like one. If I have my pics set at 1 pic every minute, I get close to 7-8000 pics on my Browning TC a month. That would be nuts on a wireless camera... I slowly learned to accept it as something that gives me a little more gap in between pics but a great opportunity to watch my 4 feeders from my office desk all week without having to drive 10 hours round trip.
                              Last edited by Smart; 07-21-2019, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Yeah, pros and cons for sure. Being able to see grainy pics in real time is better than waiting to check cams the next time I go to the lease. It's still a rip off though. They have the HQ pics on the Covert cloud site, so that's what the cameras send when they upload (and why you have to set it to only upload every 3-4 minutes in weak signal areas). They're just not allowing you to access them without an additional charge. Seems kinda lame to me. But I do like the real time pics, so I'll live with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X