Story Of A Hitchhiker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Story Of A Hitchhiker

The thread about giving money to people begging reminded me of this story and I feel like sharing it.

Several years ago I got off work in Palestine about 11am and was driving home after a long night. There was an old man walking on the shoulder with a few bags. He was in an odd place so stopped and asked if he needed a ride. He hesitated a little and then got in. I asked where he was headed and he said he had a job south of Corrigan and was headed there from round rock.

He said he had not tried to hitchhike and had walked most of that distance. I told him I almost never pic up hitch hikers but figured he might need a ride. I'm guessing he was 75 years old but in good shape. He said he had been walking for 3 weeks or so. He was a jolly fellow. I stopped at a bbq place and told him I would buy him lunch. He said he had plenty to eat and stayed on the sidewalk while I went in. I bought him a sandwich anyway which he put in a little backpack. He said he didn't have any money to pay me for it. Of course I didn't expect pay.

As we drove he started telling me his life story. He said he had a nice ranch in the hill country. Made a good living. And retired in his dream home with his wife of over 40 years. They had no children. She came down with cancer. He said he spent his retirement treating her. Sold his property too. Then she died.

He said all he had left was his home and a new Cadillac. He said he was really bitter and mad at god. A few nights later he came home late at night (indicated he was drunk). Somehow the car caught fire in the garage and burned up along with his house. Of course he had quit paying insurance. Suddenly he was alone. Dead broke and homeless after a lifetime of prosperity.

He said he used a pay phone and called an old rancher friend near Corrigan who offered him a place to stay and work on his ranch. He started walking. He said he was very very angry at god and continually cursed god as he walked. Finally he said he told his that he didn't know why he was mad at a god that probably didn't exist anyway. (Continued next post)

Waiting to hear the rest of the story, but I have heard many stories similar to this and that's why I try not to judge anyone.

Comment

Well!!!!

Comment

In for the rest of the story

Comment

.... He walked as far as he could every day and slept under bridges. He said he was really thirsty and told god if he was real to give him a drink. He said he walked a few feet and saw a little blue ice chest laying beside the road. He showed it to me. He picked it up and it had 6 bottles of water and a little ice still in it. He drank a bottle and decided this was just coincidence but it kept churning in his mind. He said he yelled at god and said if you really cared for me this wouldn't be happening! Give me something to eat! He walk a short distance farther and saw some Wal-Mart Bags scattered along the roadside. Like the had fallen off the top of a vehicle yet he was now her close to a Wal-Mart. First was two loaves of sunbeam bread. Second bag had three cans of spam and a 6 Pac of Vienna sausage. The third bag had some other things I can't remember and two big blocks of cheese. Next was a small bag with a little new testament bible in it. He said he walked to the next good bridge and made camp. He said he sat there three days and read that bible and learned how to give his life to Christ. Which he did.

He started walking again with the assurance that god was in control and had provided for him. Eventually someone picked him up and he got a ride to close to Palestine. He didn't try to hitchhike. He said he had never asked anything of anyone but took the ride that god provided. I drove him way past my turn off and took him past Pennington toward Groveton. He realized I had done that as I originally told him I was going to Crockett and said that was far enough.

I stopped and let him out and tried to give him money. He wouldn't take it. I hope someonene else picked him up and was blessed as I was.

Steve
          Last edited by GarGuy; 01-25-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Great story! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Cool story.

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Sometimes we entertain angels, that is what the Bible tells us. Good story.
                  Have a few of those but maybe another time and place.

Comment

I finally remember what was in the other sack. It was a big pack of sliced ham and a jar of sandwich spread whack he put on the ice.

Comment

Great story, thanks for typing that up.

Comment

Yup, sometimes we just gotta listen to the spirit. Cool story

Comment

Yessir, can all be gone in an instant. Not the same, but I often wondered about the man out Hodo way that carried the cross up and down the road. What his story is/was.

Comment

Wow. Great story

Comment

Nice...!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X