What tree/ shrub to plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tree/ shrub to plant?

Getting to be planting season so trying to get a game plan together. Looking to fill in some areas cleared by a previous owner. Near Lake Somerville. Something beneficial to deer. There's already large post oaks so doesn't need to get huge. Maybe more of a faster growing mid sized. Any suggestions on species?

I think live oak for that area is a good choice

Comment

In a landscape or pasture?

Comment

Fruited mulberry

Comment

Fruit trees. Obviously you have plenty of oaks so I would stay away from those unless you plant a White Oak.

Comment

Persimmon Tree. Deer love them!

Comment

Sawtooth oaks grow pretty quick and deer love em. If not an oak I’d go with fruit trees of some sort.

Comment

I'd be looking at fruit trees. The cheapest pear trees can work wonders. Pears are extremely drought tolerant and deer love them. You can look into some other mast producers such as Sawtooth Oak, which is another great mast producer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                  I found Missouri DOC has bare root saplings pretty cheap. Just ordered 200 persimmon for $36/100. We already have them growing naturally and I know deer love them so hopefully they should do well.

Also added 100 buttonbrush to plant around a pond for wood ducks.

Comment

Nice! We have a few Persimmon and deer hit them hard every year.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                      I found Missouri DOC has bare root saplings pretty cheap. Just ordered 200 persimmon for $36/100. We already have them growing naturally and I know deer love them so hopefully they should do well.

Also added 100 buttonbrush to plant around a pond for wood ducks.

https://mdc12.mdc.mo.gov/Applications/TreeSeedling/
                      Thanks for sharing. How much was shipping? Do you have to be a Mizzou landowner to take part?

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                        This^^
                        We have mexican persimmon trees on our place (small purple fruit) and deer devour them.

Comment

Thornless Mesquite. Burr Oak, Overcup Oak, Western Soapberry, Pecan (Desirable and Pawnee).

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                            Thanks for sharing. How much was shipping? Do you have to be a Mizzou landowner to take part?
                            do not need to be from Missouri - it will be around 15 to 20$ extra for shipping and handling

I have bought 400 seedlings this year. mostly on mdc, but Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Maryland are other options you don't have to be from the states
                            just hopped back on and bought 50 more persimmons after seeing the post above. they had been sold out for a few months.

planted around 100 oaks from wildlife group last year and 90%+ have survived.
                            going with the #'s this year

Comment

American beautyberry is a shrub that does great in that area. Great for a host of critters, large and small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X