OTC tag Colorado Elk Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
    How are you and your father getting more than 1 Elk tag in CO? I'm fairly certain that's not possible or legal in any one unit.
    1 bull 1 cow each maybe or is there only either sex tag?

Comment

I’m 1/1 on public archey OTC in unit 79. I stuck the first elk I crossed paths with as I didn’t want to go home empty handed. Beggars can’t be chooser. I’ll go back one day when I’m not a beggar.

Comment

I’m 2 for 4 on archery elk. I hunt between Craig and Meeker on public land with OTC tags.
        Attached Files

Comment

How are you and your father getting more than 1 Elk tag in CO? I'm fairly certain that's not possible or legal in any one unit.
          It is certainly possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Deer Tamales View Post
            I’m 2 for 4 on archery elk. I hunt between Craig and Meeker on public land with OTC tags.

That’s awesome. I’m sure there’s plenty of work involved along with a little luck to take a bull like that on a DIY hunt. How many days did it take on that trip to get him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Took him on day 7, last day of the hunt.

Comment

These guys posting above blow away the statewide statistics.
                2017. 2nd rifle. 14%
                2017. 3rd rifle. 12%
                2017. Archery. 12%

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                  2017. 2nd rifle. 14%
                  2017. 3rd rifle. 12%
                  2017. Archery. 12%

Somewhat encouraging. Maybe TBHers are doing somewhat better than the average bear, so to speak, by educating themselves here and elsewhere to maximize their chances. Or, maybe, these guys have been particularly lucky. I know that Darrell Royal said something like: the harder I practice (or prepare), the luckier I get.

Comment

Are you kidding. Google is at your fingertips. You can have a Type A and Type B. Bull OTC is type A, cow draw is Type B. Some units have 100% draw guarantee. You can do this every yr, without preference points.
                    If your hunting Colorado, which you should be if your calling me out, you should know this .
                    Free tip, now figure out the units.

Comment

2017. 2nd rifle. 14%
                      2017. 3rd rifle. 12%
                      2017. Archery. 12%

Buddy, I crushed that stastc, until 1 day at the ripe ole age of 18, I watched a pair of Colorado game wardens turn into my driveway. I lived in Ar . They had us dead to rights. My mother is the one who turned me in. It wasn't pretty, but lesson learned. Back then it wasn't a big deal, to shoot a cow if you saw one, and there were 3 old men back at camp with cow tags. Or gets down to the last few days and there are still all tags but mine(I was always the youngest) unfilled, well I kinda thought it was my duty to go fill tags, and they did too. In the end they got us all. They offered us a plea, or they would go after the Lacy Law, for taking them back to Texas, therefore crossing state lines. We plead guilty. Quite the ordeal, but I ain't saying I was innocent by any means.

Comment

Nevermind.
                        Last edited by tradtiger; 09-24-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          Are you kidding. Google is at your fingertips. You can have a Type A and Type B. Bull OTC is type A, cow draw is Type B. Some units have 100% draw guarantee. You can do this every yr, without preference points.
                          If your hunting Colorado, which you should be if your calling me out, you should know this .
                          Free tip, now figure out the units.
                          Easy Cowgirl, don't get your panties in a wad. I have hunted CO OTC 5 out of the last 6 years. I've read the Big Game brochure several times, and as confusing as CO makes it, haven't seen a possibility of multiple tags in one unit. Why use Google when you've got TBH at your fingertips

Comment

2017. 2nd rifle. 14%
                            2017. 3rd rifle. 12%
                            2017. Archery. 12%

A buddy and I were talking about that as we hunted an OTC unit this year. He killed a 5x5, I missed a cow.

A resident elk tag is under $50, so I’ll bet there are a lot of guys that buy one and never actually end up hunting when they get busy with other stuff, or only make it out one day. I know I’ve bought duck stamps several years where I’ve never even made it out to hunt.

Comment

this year OTC elk blew all year previous away . Seems more people are hunting elk now if you look at the sales 2018 was a banner year . so more people on the public land no water this year , so the elk where pushed very hard .

I already have a spring trip planned to scout a new area harder to get into thus I hope less people .

Comment

Easy Cowgirl, don't get your panties in a wad. I have hunted CO OTC 5 out of the last 6 years. I've read the Big Game brochure several times, and as confusing as CO makes it, haven't seen a possibility of multiple tags in one unit. Why use Google when you've got TBH at your fingertips
                                Can't argue that logic

Comment

Working...
                                X