My burger needs help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My burger needs help...

Ok, I need help with cooking my burgers on the grill. The ground meat is half whitetail and half pork. I make 9 ounce patties, well seasoned and cooked on the grill at a medium heat. I cook them for 3 minutes then a quarter turn for 3 minutes, flip for 3 minutes and lastly a quarter turn for the last 3 minutes. During the last 3, I puncture the burgers with an ice pick to let out the excess juice that is red. I also push down the patties with a spatula, to let out more of the red juice. The burgers look and taste awesome when put on a brioche bun with other fixin's.

The problem is that a lot of red juice/blood squirts out when you take a bite. What's up with that? I have had this issue for years. Is this operator error or is it in the deer processing?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like either undercooked or way too much fat.

Comment

Unless under cooked l, tbat sounds like a great burger. Always say a messy burger is a good burger. The messier the better!

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
        Sounds like either undercooked or way too much fat.
        They are medium to medium well. Maybe too much fat, but I don't get a big build up of fat on my hands when preparing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
          Unless under cooked l, tbat sounds like a great burger. Always say a messy burger is a good burger. The messier the better!
          This. Sounds like a great burger to me

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
            This. Sounds like a great burger to me
            Thanks, they are pretty good, and best of all my wife loves them.

Comment

If juice is running off your elbows it's a great burger.

Hate over cooked and over squeezed burgers. Leave it to cook. Get your minutes where you like them and flip once.

Now lets talk boiled eggs. I like mine at 6.5 minutes and then shocked with ice water....

Kinda the same discussion.............

Comment

Sounds good to me!

Comment

IMO the problem is pork needs to cook longer than the venison - if you leave it on long enough for the pork to cook, the venison can dry out. I would stack really hot coals on one side, sear each side for 3 minutes then move off the direct heat for another few minutes to cook through

Comment

Flipping too much. Let the heat work it’s way to the middle on each side.

Comment

Don’t be scared of the juice

Comment

Let them rest and they won’t squirt

Comment

Perfect burger to me. Don't over cook. Takes out the flavor

Comment

ive always been told you cant cook a burger anything but well bc as soon as the meat hits air it has chance of growing bacteria and causing food borne illness. Now steaks are a different story, they can be chewed essentially raw after seared.

to each their own but just dont be offended when someone looks at the red juice coming out and cant help but wonder if its blood

id imagine if you process it yourself and care for it you would be fine eating it undercooked...just not the pork
                            Last edited by kingranch; 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Personally I've found 1/2 venison 1/2 pork to be too much fat. I typically use 2/3 venison to 1/3 bacon ends and pieces, run them both through the grinder then mix and run through again.

Also are you letting the burgers rest? Cover them with foil and leave them be for 5-10 minutes before you serve them, could solve your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X