.270 vs .308?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.270 vs .308?

I’m new to 30 cals (except my 30-30, of course) and recently acquired a 308 in a good trade with Aggiearcher12. It has always been my understanding (assumption?) that a 270 shoots flatter and a 308 hits harder. But reading over ballistics and energy charts has me confused, as many 270 loads have higher numbers than 308. Does it all depend on bullet selection and weight? Or does the long action case simply hold more powder than the short action?

I know the 308 gives you many more choices of bullet weight, on both ends of the spectrum. And it obviously makes a bigger hole.

Which of these two calibers would you take on an elk hunt, and why? Is a 308 a step up from a 270?
    Last edited by 30-30; 08-21-2018, 03:04 PM.

I’m excited to shoot this gun. It’s my first Savage.

Comment

Personally I would prefer a .308 for elk. That being said, I have a friend who lives in Quebec and he has killed many Moose with his .243. I have both calibers and both have their places. Shot placement is everything, just like an arrow. I believe the .308 has more knock down which I also believe is preferable on larger animals such as an elk. I have never hunted elk with an gun, only with a bow.

Comment

308 for elk. That being said, I am using a 7mm this fall. Shot placement and comfort with your shooting are the biggest keys, not caliber so much.

Comment

Bullet selection is more important than caliber.

Comment

I love both rounds, honestly depends on your preference, I think being able to shoot a 180 grain bullet is a difference maker for many on the heavier game. The 270 is O'connor's preferred sheep gun so it must be awesome as well.

Comment

Both are TRIED and PROVEN cartridges...Personaly I would have no problem with either...

Like aggie above said its Shot Placement with proper bullet

Comment

Randy Newberg chooses 308 for elk

They are both awesome. 308 does a little better with a shorter (which makes it lighter) barrel.

Comment

.270 All day, every day....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    This is my one rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Agreed

Comment

I would say both will work fine if you select a bullet/load appropriate for the job. I would also keep shots under 400 yards. I would give a very slight edge to the .270 just because it shoots a little flatter.

Comment

6.5 Creedmoor?

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            6.5 Creedmoor?

Somebody is drinking the koolaid. Anything with the right bullet and shot placement will do the trick.

Comment

If you cant kill it with a .270, it cant be killed.

Comment

Working...
                              X