No announcement yet.

Best way to transport a ladder stand in the field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lock froze and the cable is one of those that can't be cut. My excuse!

Comment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The cart is the stand-I took a game winner stand and at the bend near the seat drilled holes and used spacers and bought some bicycle wheels and it works great

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
          The cart is the stand-I took a game winner stand and at the bend near the seat drilled holes and used spacers and bought some bicycle wheels and it works great

Cool idea. I'd be a little nervous about weakening that bend by drilling holes. Other than that it looks genius.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Perow:

That is truly ingenious! If rednecks had their own NASA, you'd be a chief engineer.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
              Good evening:

Thank you so much to all of you for your thoughts, ideas, advice and recommendations. Last year, my son hunted some of the places we are going to this season, and he said the deer are very wary and skittish. My thought was that we should be off of the ground - even at a small height such as 8-10ft. - and that might improve our chances for a successful hunt. I am leery of climbing a tree and sitting in a stand, thus my thoughts of hunting from a ladder stand. I do have a nice 8ft. tall tripod stand, but it doesn't fold or collapse, and would be challenging to transport in the field.

You guys have given me some good thoughts, though, and I'm going to think about ways of modifying the ladder stand and tripod for easier transport. I'll follow up and provide an update of what I decide to do.

Again, many thanks to all of you for your thoughts and consideration.

Regards,

Dave
              Why not just hang a lock on at 8 to 10 feet if that is as high as you are going to get? Just as safe if you get a decent one, lighter, more versatile. Lots of upside to using a lock on stand. At that height you are going to need tree cover and getting a ladder in a tree with cover is going to be hard. 8-10 feet needs to be treated just as sitting on the ground IMO. They can and will see you if you aren't careful.

I was scared of them for years and would only hunt ladders. When I lost weight and am no longer pushing or over the limit of all stands that all changed. It only takes a couple of sits to get comfortable in it.

Comment

Climber is the way to go. Really not too scary once you get the hang of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
                  Perow:

That is truly ingenious! If rednecks had their own NASA, you'd be a chief engineer.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Dave

Have to be careful about this option, as some public lands state no mechanical machines can be used in trails. That eliminates bikes and leaves to foot and pull buggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
                    Bolt a bicycle wheel on each side of the frame where the ladder stand and seat come together and you can drag it behind you. Also, If the ladder is in sections you can take a section or two off and stack them together to shorten the whole thing up for transport. You can also use this as a game cart.
                    is what I did to mine several years ago, works really well.

Comment

What state will you be hunting that doesn’t allow the stand to stay up over night?

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                        Why not just hang a lock on at 8 to 10 feet if that is as high as you are going to get? Just as safe if you get a decent one, lighter, more versatile. Lots of upside to using a lock on stand. At that height you are going to need tree cover and getting a ladder in a tree with cover is going to be hard. 8-10 feet needs to be treated just as sitting on the ground IMO. They can and will see you if you aren't careful.

I was scared of them for years and would only hunt ladders. When I lost weight and am no longer pushing or over the limit of all stands that all changed. It only takes a couple of sits to get comfortable in it.
                        It sounds like you're sold on the ladder stand, but a lock on with a reasonable price and weight is the Helium XL - $159 and it waighs 12lbs.

Match it with a light weight pair of climbing sticks and you're set.

Comment

Working...
                        X