High FOC Arrow Build ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High FOC Arrow Build ?'s

Hoping to get some advice from anyone with one of the arrow building programs for an arrow build I am going to start.

Shooting a Mathews halon 32-7 with 30.5 inch draw at 70 pounds. The shortest arrow I can use will be about 29” carbon to carbon. (Possibly 28.5” if I drop down to 30" draw, I can shoot both lengths comfortably)

I want to try to get to 20% FOC which I know will be tough at my draw length. Looking at going with black eagle x impacts or possibly gold tip kinetic pierce platinums unless anyone has a better suggestion. I like the idea of the micro diameter arrow.

Was looking at either the black eagle 42 grain outsert or the Valkyrie archery 56 grain stainless outsert system. And then either a 200 grain or 250 grain broadhead, whichever would be needed to try to get to 20%. Also likely going with a 4 fletch set up to help steer these heavy fixed blade heads. Would like a lighted knock since they will be used for hunting purposes but will sacrifice that for a standard nock if you think it will make a large enough difference.

TIA for any advice

I’m sure one of the tuning people will be along soon. But also send muddyfuzzy a pm, he’s got a lot of knowledge especially on black eagles

Comment

Find the tuning post by enewman. Lots of great info

Comment

I sent enewman a PM but his program has been messed up since his last windows update. Also just sent a PM to muddyfuzzy to get his opinion on the build.

Comment

I've had a hard time figuring out what works together I wish someone would make a calculator to plan a build.

I'm thinking, VAP TKO's, Ethics Archery Outserts, RMS Cutthroats, and lighted nocs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
            I've had a hard time figuring out what works together I wish someone would make a calculator to plan a build.

I'm thinking, VAP TKO's, Ethics Archery Outserts, RMS Cutthroats, and lighted nocs.
            Goldtip used to have one on their site.
            Using their arrows and such.
            Haven't looked at it in awhile

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
              Hoping to get some advice from anyone with one of the arrow building programs for an arrow build I am going to start.

Shooting a Mathews halon 32-7 with 30.5 inch draw at 70 pounds. The shortest arrow I can use will be about 29” carbon to carbon. (Possibly 28.5” if I drop down to 30" draw, I can shoot both lengths comfortably)

I want to try to get to 20% FOC which I know will be tough at my draw length. Looking at going with black eagle x impacts or possibly gold tip kinetic pierce platinums unless anyone has a better suggestion. I like the idea of the micro diameter arrow.

Was looking at either the black eagle 42 grain outsert or the Valkyrie archery 56 grain stainless outsert system. And then either a 200 grain or 250 grain broadhead, whichever would be needed to try to get to 20%. Also likely going with a 4 fletch set up to help steer these heavy fixed blade heads. Would like a lighted knock since they will be used for hunting purposes but will sacrifice that for a standard nock if you think it will make a large enough difference.

TIA for any advice
              My pig arrows are 17.454% I think.
              I'll get the actual when I get home.

My draws 31.25 or 31.5”

I'm running GT Warrior arrows in 340 spine

Factory Fletching

100 grain insert
              50 grain screw in weight
              100 grain Grim reader Hog head

Comment

Here's a thread that had lots of info when I started on my FOC journey

Comment

Never heard of these but initially I'm really liking the idea. Could stick with much more standard broad heads and still get the heavy weight up front. Didn't think I had much of an option for this for a micro diameter arrow.

Comment

Well ive tried to send muddyfuzzy two different PM's but neither are showing up in my sent mail so I dont think they are going through. Hopefully he'll see this thread and chime in.

Anyone else think 250 spine x-impacts will have stiff enough spine to carry that much weight up front?

Comment

Here's the work up.

As you will see, the chart will show a little weak, but these arrows will work great for what you are doing.

You will not need the four fletch to steer the big broadheads, the more FOC you have the less steerage you need. However, they do help with the dynamic spine in your case, as do the Nockturnals.

Arrow Spec's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ClydeArrowV1.2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	24543076

Spine Spec's.

On this page look at Ideal Spine and Actual Spine, that is the difference in what you will be shooting and what it should be based on the math. It is impossible to get an arrow perfect, almost, but as a rule most of my HFOC or EFOC arrows are weak spine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ClydeSpineV1.2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	24543077

IOW, your arrow will be fine, build them and shoot them.
                      Last edited by Rat; 06-19-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Also, you are very close to a .200 spine in the ideal spine, if it were me, I would get a half dozen of each and build them, see which size shot best, and then use those.

My bet would be that both sizes will shoot great, but that's what I would do.

Comment

Rat is that an app you can download? What's it called?

Comment

Rat is that an app you can download? What's it called?
                            No, it's not an app, it's a program, runs on Windows. It's called The Archery Program Pro, TAP Pro for short.

He has three programs:
                            TAP Pro
                            TAPes
                            Spinal TAP

Spinal TAP is just for arrow building.
                            TAPes is just for making tapes.
                            TAP Pro has it all.

http://www.thearcheryprogram.com/products

Comment

I am shooting the GT Kentic Pierce 400 just for that very reason. I currently have about 13% FOC with 27 1/4" shaft, 100 gr. FT, wrap and blazer vanes. I improved the FOC about 5% with 3" fletch and left off the wrap and could have increased the percentage even more if I had gone to 125 gr. points. The outsert helps tremendously with built in FOC just by default. These are some tough arrows even by GT standards. Just my $.02, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X