No announcement yet.

Food plots and hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering trying the Turner Spring Mix on 1-1.5acres this year and Hogs are my concern as well. But since cost isn't too bad for a couple bags I feel it's worth a shot to know. Will likely be adding another feeder pen as well...

Comment

Fence your food plot with hog wire or horse wire. Run a barb wire on bottom A lot cheaper than panels.

Comment

Good info here, this is my first attempt at a food plot in Texas, Kinney county no less. Will see how it goes. I give my seed a 20% chance of growing, lol. Rain chances in the forecast keep going down, .
        Attached Files

Comment

There was a small amount of turnips in this clover and brassica blend. Planted to improve the soil organic matter content and nitrogen levels. Hogs hit it and we all know the rest. Anyways, that is why I will not plant turnips at my place anymore. 100 acres of oats and clover untouched but the second I plant turnips in a 1/2 acre staging area they wiped it out.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hogs did that? Wow they really tore up your set up. I’m from the Houston area, and I am just getting around hunts I heard the hogs are damaging lands and food plots. But I have never seen what kind of damage they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Junogwat View Post
              Hogs did that? Wow they really tore up your set up. I’m from the Houston area, and I am just getting around hunts I heard the hogs are damaging lands and food plots. But I have never seen what kind of damage they do.
              Yup, they root up fields in a hurry. Hogs cost Texas $52 million in ag damage a year. Even with traps and night vision we cant keep the numbers down.

Comment

Well if you need some help. I’ll be more than glad to take some home for groceries.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                  Fence your food plot with hog wire or horse wire. Run a barb wire on bottom A lot cheaper than panels.
                  It is a lot of work. But the results of no hogs rooting grazing or flushing deer out of your plots is worth it.

Three years later , no pigs in the plot and about 12 deer visit it daily. Sped allot of time there browsing or bedding.

Comment

Here is some hog damage, they were after Nut Grass. I have seven acres of plots in different places and of different sizes. Fencing would work, but for me it would have to be electric. The problem with electric is the constant maintenance it would require. I know my neighbors are using electric fence, and they spend two days a week working on the fence.
                    Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I avoided electric for the maintenance reason.
                      But since I own the property, I viewed my two fenced
                      plot as big improvements for the place.

Comment

What was your cost to fence in your plots? I forgot how expensive hog panels are until I started looking into into it. For one of my small small plots I am looking at 600 feet of hog panel. If I throw in a T post every 6 feet I am looking at 100 T posts.

Redwire: $320 for wire. $400 for posts.

$720 for a small plot. OUCH!

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                          What was your cost to fence in your plots? I forgot how expensive hog panels are until I started looking into into it. For one of my small small plots I am looking at 600 feet of hog panel. If I throw in a T post every 6 feet I am looking at 100 T posts.

Redwire: $320 for wire. $400 for posts.

$720 for a small plot. OUCH!
                          I’m glad we don’t have hogs! I just did the math on fencing my plots using your estimate and came up with $9,100 to do mine at the house.

I like to deer hunt, but there’s not a buck out there worth that kind of money to me!

Comment

I spent more counting corner posts and H frame posts, Staples, barbed wire, and cattle panel for gate.
                            But look how many years it will last. Spending money and time on a plot makes me try to protect it worse.
                            It ain’t about killing the deer, it’s about improving the habitat and allowing me to manage the deer better.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                              I’m glad we don’t have hogs! I just did the math on fencing my plots using your estimate and came up with $9,100 to do mine at the house.

I like to deer hunt, but there’s not a buck out there worth that kind of money to me!
                              No hogs? Well that's embarrassing! Woooooooo.Pig.Sooie!

Comment

We have lots of hogs and lots of food plots, no problem.
                                I always wait to plant until just before a good rain is forecast. Otherwise the dang turkeys will eat the wheat and oat seeds.
                                Last year we were wiped out by army worms and had to replant everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X