Best snake shot in .22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best snake shot in .22?

I just got on a lease in east Texas, and I was informed that I should invest in some snake boots (they're on the way) and carry some snake shot on me at all times. I plan on carrying my .22 Browning Buckmark with some snake shot in it. Will that type of ammo do any damage to the rifling in my pistol? Will it be able to cycle after each shot? Also, I'm not sure if I should go with the CCI version with the blue plastic cap on the end or the Federal version that is crimped like a shotgun shell. What do y'all use? Pros and cons of both? Being born a Yankee, this will be my first experience in heavy snake country. Thanks for your help.

Just backhand them. They'll go away.

Comment

I've always used the ones made by CCI/Speer and always used them in a revolver, not a semiauto. I've always had good results with them, but you have to be close - within about 3 yards or so.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Any rat shot to the head works great.

Comment

The danger is getting bit by the snakes you don't see. Once you see them, you can kill them (if that is your choice...and that is mine), you don't need any particular type of shot to kill them. A rock, stick, or stock of a rifle will do the trick.

I've never understood the need to carry a "snake gun." Once you spot the snake, it is easy to avoid it or kill it with whatever is available.

Comment

I actually shot a BIG rattler in south Texas with .38 rat shot, and had to shoot it several times to dispatch it. A regular .38 cartridge would have done much better.

Comment

Snake shot is junk. It doesn't mangle them up at all and you might only get a few holes in the snake because the pattern is so wide. You'll probably just make a big Diamondback mad at you. Best way to not get bit....Don't get close enough to hit it with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                I actually shot a BIG rattler in south Texas with .38 rat shot, and had to shoot it several times to dispatch it. A regular .38 cartridge would have done much better.
                I'll have to double check with the lease manager, but I think he specified the only gun you can carry around the camp area has to be specifically for snakes. I have a .40 that I conceal carry, but I don't think I can carry that around the camp.

Thanks for all the tips so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  Just backhand them. They'll go away.
                  I debated on this method as well.

Comment

.22 rat shot just tics them off, you would have to be within striking range to do any real damage.

Comment

I have only tried two different brands of rat shot in my Buckmark and it wouldn't cycle either brand. The 2-3 rattlers I have killed with it only needed the first shot. Wear snake boots and you will feel invisible! I always put mine on at the gate and load the pistol at the same time. Deep South TX is covered in rattlers.

Comment

22 shot doesn't have enough pellets unless you get within striking distance...go 38 or bigger for any real effect.

Best thing about the #12 shot is that it does not mess up the skin if you want to save it...the larger rounds are effective at safe ranges. 44 special & 45acp being the best.

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
                          I have only tried two different brands of rat shot in my Buckmark and it wouldn't cycle either brand. The 2-3 rattlers I have killed with it only needed the first shot. Wear snake boots and you will feel invisible! I always put mine on at the gate and load the pistol at the same time. Deep South TX is covered in rattlers.
                          I don't think any brand of 22 rat shot will cycle thru a semi auto....at least I haven't found one....I've tried two different brands in three different 22 semiautomatic and they all just single shot. I would rather have a m a magazine full of LRHP ammo anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jmw View Post
                            I'll have to double check with the lease manager, but I think he specified the only gun you can carry around the camp area has to be specifically for snakes. I have a .40 that I conceal carry, but I don't think I can carry that around the camp.

Thanks for all the tips so far.
                            If it's just for around camp, just keep 3-4 shovels and hoes around for that. Leaning up against the camp house or a tree or whatever.

Comment

It won't cycle in an auto. I have found that if you are not close, it will not kill a rat, at least not right now, and they run away and die later, stinking to high heaven. A .38/.357 is much more effective. You can buy shot cups for these, and load your own. Also you can use cardboard circles cut out with a sharpened empty hull and get more shot. I cut open a couple of shells and use 9 shot. Cheaper than buying a bag of shot. I want to try some in .44 mag.
                              Last edited by double bogey; 05-24-2017, 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X