Game warden LEO question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game warden LEO question

On the way home tonight from Waco we passed a buck that just got hit by a car. The deers back was obviously broken. I pulled over to check on the person in the car & told my wife to call the Local Law Enforcement to ask about putting the deer out of its misery. Cause he was just frailing around. The lady on the phone with my wife said yes I could dispatch the deer but she had to be in the phone with me when I dispatched the animal so she could hear the shot. Is this correct? I didn’t have to dispatch that deer it had died while getting the Law Enforcement in the phone. I thought I read somewhere before that only a Game Warden could dispatch a wounded animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have called them before I put them down just to get a verbal OK. I imagine it varies across the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
      On the way home tonight from Waco we passed a buck that just got hit by a car. The deers back was obviously broken. I pulled over to check on the person in the car & told my wife to call the Local Law Enforcement to ask about putting the deer out of its misery. Cause he was just frailing around. The lady on the phone with my wife said yes I could dispatch the deer but she had to be in the phone with me when I dispatched the animal so she could hear the shot. Is this correct? I didn’t have to dispatch that deer it had died while getting the Law Enforcement in the phone. I thought I read somewhere before that only a Game Warden could dispatch a wounded animal.

at least you tried bro

Comment

Not sure on the correct answer, but I would say that is the time to not ask questions and not get caught.

Comment

I dispatched a doe last year after hit on the road just down from my house. I called out local GW on her cell phone and she was 30-45 min away. She gave me the go ahead to dispatch it and I gave her the location. Coach

Comment

Absolutely true that a dispatcher has to confirm the sound of a gunshot because there is no way that a person (not on the phone but his wife is relaying info) could simply fire a shot into the ground.

I have actually never heard of such an outcome or clearance but I have only been a cop for 36 years.

Never say never but I will go out on a limb and state....

The dispatcher was probably not an officer of any kind and probably has no clue as to the law. I would guess that only a GW could give clearance to kill the deer.

That might be something the dispatcher made up on the spot or has heard it from another dispatcher or officer. You know, say it once and it’s a rumor. Say it twice and it becomes fact.

Hopefully a GW doesn’t come in here and tell me that there is actually such a “put a wounded game animal out of its misery if a dispatcher can confirm that shot” law.

Comment

keep driving!!

Comment

Local LEO should have the Game Warden's # so why not call them?? It sucks to leave an animal to suffer but I would move on rather than get an ok from a dispatcher.

Once upon a time, a black bear was hit by a car and I happened to be on seen along with a Game Warden, and an NPS Ranger. The Warden was on the phone with someone in Austin for what seemed like for ever before they green lighted the OK to dispatch ole smokey. The ironic part is they wanted me put the bear out of its misery to which I refused and let the game warden do the deed.

Obviously, a situation requiring a black bear and a whitetail needing to be put down are not comparable.
                Last edited by Pedernal; 12-01-2019, 03:02 AM.

Comment

I had one I pulled over after it was hit and actually had the cop tell me to cut its throat bc the cenent embankment was too close to fire shot
                  That buck went home w me and buddy made it into jerky

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                    Absolutely true that a dispatcher has to confirm the sound of a gunshot because there is no way that a person (not on the phone but his wife is relaying info) could simply fire a shot into the ground.

I have actually never heard of such an outcome or clearance but I have only been a cop for 36 years.

Never say never but I will go out on a limb and state....

The dispatcher was probably not an officer of any kind and probably has no clue as to the law. I would guess that only a GW could give clearance to kill the deer.

That might be something the dispatcher made up on the spot or has heard it from another dispatcher or officer. You know, say it once and it’s a rumor. Say it twice and it becomes fact.

Hopefully a GW doesn’t come in here and tell me that there is actually such a “put a wounded game animal out of its misery if a dispatcher can confirm that shot” law.
                    Yea gota agree...That dispatcher tryin to (cover there hiney) in a strange way..

Comment

I hunt neighborhood deer. A few years ago I hear the neighbor fire up and leave for work one morning about 10 minutes after I climbed up in the stand. Thud. She stops for a second, then hurries off wherever. Fast forward to time to climb down. Truck comes around the corner, then slams on the brakes and backs up. Several guys pile out and look in the ditch. They start looking around and see me in the stand and wave, then load back up and take off. I climb down and walk over and there is a young illegal buck laying there, still alive with a broken back. I call the local warden (who actually lives in this neighborhood) to inform him (and also to CYA in case those guys called in about an illegal deer being shot). Tell him about neighbor lady and all and ask him what he wants to do with it. Can you safely put it down? Bang! I shot it with my carry pistol. He chuckled and told me to hang around a few minutes and he would come give me a tag for it. Cleaned it and only lost about 6” of one backstrap to the injury.

Comment

As a few have stated your best best is to call the GW directly if you can find or have their number.

As for LE response, it varies by agency and area of the state.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If an LEO has to put one down, with a department issued weapon that a “discharge of weapon” form to be filled out.

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
                            If an LEO has to put one down, with a department issued weapon that a “discharge of weapon” form to be filled out.

Haha some guys wish it was just a form being filled out.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post

Thats why you use the "Other Gun"........

Rookie

Comment

Working...
                              X