Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #51
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

My son's company just built a new Oil/Gas supply company site that doubled in size from the one he is managing. That and there is a lot of pipe line sites in Hood County going in?

I know little about the industry so just commenting. Best of luck to all of you and hoping natural gas prices will eventually increase...my royalties need it.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #52
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
I work in O&G, but in the refining sector. We are not affected by any of the boom and bust cycles that constantly take place in the oil field. Boom or bust, we still have product that has to be refined 24/7 and 365. If I were to ever find myself working in the oil field (my entire family did/has from the 30s all the way till now) I would plan accordingly so that I didnt fall on any hardships during the down times. When the money is good, everyone lives well beyond their means in this mindset of temporary wealth. Rather than living this way, why not live a lower cost life and save money so that you could live comfortably for 1-2 years if you had to during a down turn? You clearly know the line of work you are in. You clearly know things will at some point go south. Why not plan accordingly so that you are not affected by it? This goes for the individual worker as well as the business/shop owners.
I agree completely. But on the business end, that is much harder than it sounds. As a small shop, we only have the capacity to do so much when its hot so its not we are making all that much more. When you do make money you spend it on eqpt. to increase capacity. Then it slows down and you have to spend any saved cash to coast till the next run up. So basically always broke either way haha. I will say, at least in my experience, on the manufacturing side, the money isnt NEAR as good as some say/believe. Costs are ridiculously high.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #53
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas, in your stand when you aint there :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
I agree completely. But on the business end, that is much harder than it sounds. As a small shop, we only have the capacity to do so much when its hot so its not we are making all that much more. When you do make money you spend it on eqpt. to increase capacity. Then it slows down and you have to spend any saved cash to coast till the next run up. So basically always broke either way haha. I will say, at least in my experience, on the manufacturing side, the money isnt NEAR as good as some say/believe. Costs are ridiculously high.
Agree with this 100%

At this point in time operators are squeezing motor companies on pricing who turn around and squeeze us on pricing. Profit margins in the past few years have been cut in half at a minimum, and overhead isnt getting any cheaper.

Youre also very right in saying we dont make nearly as much as people think we do
JTRichardson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #54
tim21877
Four Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
Market is going to soften up big time in Q4 but we are forecasting a strong Q1 in 2020. All of the big E&P companies blew their wads early this year and just dont have the capital to drill or frac many more wells in Q4. Almost everyone in the Permian is stacking rigs and cutting frac crews. Oh well, more time for hunting and less time for work this winter!
We let go of about 50 employees today, frac pump sales have tanked recently. I hope you are right about a turnaround.
tim21877 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #55
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I worked for a forgiving mfr. from 2012 until earlier this year. It dropped off considerably in 2015 and has never really recovered. I had the chance to move to a pipeline company as a controller and took it, from what I understand the boom and bust doesn’t affect us in the same way as there is always product to be moved.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #56
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_g View Post
NOV has been laying off a large portion of employees at my location. Always know its coming when they start making rounds for drug tests, followed by early retirement offerings, and finally layoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim21877 View Post
We let go of about 50 employees today, frac pump sales have tanked recently. I hope you are right about a turnaround.
Dang, I sure hate to hear that
Old 08-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #57
Dc78
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle

Our company offered Volunteer Severance. I took package, I am 59 and will retire till after hunting season. Then look for something part time.
Dc78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #58
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc78 View Post
Our company offered Volunteer Severance. I took package, I am 59 and will retire till after hunting season. Then look for something part time.
Smart move IMO
Old 08-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #59
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

I work for a fracing chemical company in Sales and Field Support, the field stuff in STX has been slower this year, but we are still doing pretty well
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #60
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

I am in the pipeline business and we are booming...we cant get enough pipe in the ground...
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #61
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
I am in the pipeline business and we are booming...we cant get enough pipe in the ground...
Im sure ya are, its all clogged up in the Permian and yall need to build ways to get it out!

Theres wells out there ready to be pulled from waiting on ya!
Old 08-21-2019, 10:55 PM   #62
tim21877
Four Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
I have been in upstream my entire career, do you have any advice for someone looking to transfer over to a midstream role? Something a little more stable? All of my experience is in downhole tools and frac equipment.
tim21877 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #63
coach51
Six Point

Dc78--Sent you a PM
coach51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #64
tribute06
Six Point

Hunt In: Lometa

It may be slow but I guarantee when all the infrastructure is complete to support the several offshore loading platforms it will be a boom like no other. Were in the process of adding storage and in and out capabilities at work now. New pipeline from midland being built. Gonna get wild middle of next year

Last edited by tribute06; 08-22-2019 at 09:45 AM.
tribute06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #65
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribute06 View Post
It may be slow but I guarantee when all the infrastructure is complete to support the several offshore loading platforms it will be a boom like no other. Were in the process of adding storage and in and out capabilities at work now. New pipeline from midland being built. Gonna get wild middle of next year
I hope your speculation is true, for all involved. Just hope that a lot of us can make it that far with the doors open.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #66
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
I expect a decent slow down before a wild boom of any kind. We already don’t need all we are producing now.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #67
doublearrow
Ten Point

Quote:
You work for enterprise?
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #68
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Im in the Barnett pumping wells. I have close to 80 wells on my route. I stay busy.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #69
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

Bringing a pipeline from Wichita Falls to Katy.
buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2019, 12:12 AM   #70
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

My Dad just got laid off in the Permian area. Im praying he gets out of O&G and moves to something stable. I don't see how you guys deal with this stuff.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #71
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville/Refugio
Default Oilfield guys... yall hangin in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
My Dad just got laid off in the Permian area. Im praying he gets out of O&G and moves to something stable. I don't see how you guys deal with this stuff.

You start doing it and before you know it, you have 10-20 years invested into it.

In 2016-2017 I was looking for a different career path and I couldnt get as much as a call back after putting in countless resumes and applications. This was with about 17 years of product development engineering and product development management for down hole tools with two major companies. Many times you pigeon hole yourself into an industry but what I saw was other companies have incredible bias towards people in upstream roles.

Last edited by kyle1974; 08-24-2019 at 08:21 AM.
kyle1974 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #72
Radar
Pope & Young

I had my driveway re sealed yesterday. One of the guys doing it works for HP, I asked what in the he** are you doing driveways for? He told me they are stacking rigs, and it is slowing down, so he was doing a little side work for beer money. He works Cuero, Gonzales areas.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #73
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

I think it’s going to turn around with in the next 18-24 months. My buddy is in Singapore. He is a sub sea pipeline engineer they are building a massive rig that will be off the coast of corpus
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #74
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Quote:

I hate to hear that. Been in the oilfield since out of high school. Very stressful but its all I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #75
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
Market is going to soften up big time in Q4 but we are forecasting a strong Q1 in 2020. All of the big E&P companies blew their wads early this year and just dont have the capital to drill or frac many more wells in Q4. Almost everyone in the Permian is stacking rigs and cutting frac crews. Oh well, more time for hunting and less time for work this winter!

This is what my customers are expecting. Im solid through Q-3 but Im preparing for a slow Q-4
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #76
tribute06
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
You work for enterprise?
sure do
Old 08-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #77
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Quote:
My dad worked for Halliburton for almost 40 years so I grew up thinking that working in the patch was a good way to have a good life and provide for the future family.

After college my dad begged me not to work for Halliburton, so I went to the manufacturing side for downhole tools for a privately owned company in 2014.

I always wanted to work in the oilfield like my dad did, and now that Im part of it, I do wish I would have had a different mindset growing up!

All things equal, when its good I dont know if theres a better industry to be in. Folks are for the most part my type of people (hunting, fishing, golf) and theres money to be made (and saved)

But when its bad... well you know the rest.

Maybe we are all just gluttons for punishment? Lol
Old 08-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #78
Bumpy
Ten Point

Quote:
sure do
What do you do Bud?
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #79
tribute06
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
What do you do Bud?

Day operator. Permitting all the major projects and construction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-25-2019, 01:27 AM   #80
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Hunt In: Push Co

Little investor ran company I work for in WV shut down for 4th Qtr but should be back at it for the 2020. Guess Ill hunt for a few months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AntlersBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #81
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg

Seems like these booms are getting shorter and shorter. More like a fart. This one sure didn't last long at all. Barely even noticed it in deep water.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #82
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I was laid off on the 16th. I was on midstream projects.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #83
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Well I’m feeling a slow down now in the equipment moving business.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #84
robert97dodge
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston/trinity/Nacogdoches county NF

Still drilling ahead in west Texas. The rig I’m on didn’t get stacked during the slow down in 14-15 so hopefully we will be good and keep drilling on. Just finished a 5 Well Pad and moved to a 3 so we at least got a couple more months
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #85
bphillips
Pope & Young

Rig count has dropped for sure and know of some more coming down but all have plans of coming back online first of the year. I think too many got ahead of themselves this year. We have actually been picking up work but don't expect it to keep up through the end of the year.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #86
miket
Pope & Young

Somehow I have had a big bump the last 5 weeks ( machine shop ) and taking all I can get. Been working 7 days/week hoping to save some cash. Hearing from multiple sources last qtr will be slow.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:18 PM   #87
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Im expecting lay offs on my end.

My customers are all slow unless theyre working on a new project for Q1, but regardless, ITS THE SALES TEAMS FAULT! Lol
Old 09-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #88
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Quote:
Somehow I have had a big bump the last 5 weeks ( machine shop ) and taking all I can get. Been working 7 days/week hoping to save some cash. Hearing from multiple sources last qtr will be slow.
Mike -

Are you machining motor parts?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #89
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:

Glad you got the 3rd qtr bump! Im convinced 4th qtr is going to be slow but so far my customers keep sending POs and one old customer came back this week so Im hopeful.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:04 AM   #90
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

We just finished the first well on a new project for a new operator. 19 day well when they previously averaged 47 days per well. We have a lot of room to improve on 19 days, but the CEO made a rig visit and was very pleased. He said this rig has guaranteed work until Dec 2020 and they’re picking up 3 more rigs. Things can go south in a hurry but for the foreseeable future we’ee doing alright.
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #91
JSAPP
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Rig count has dropped for sure and know of some more coming down but all have plans of coming back online first of the year. I think too many got ahead of themselves this year. We have actually been picking up work but don't expect it to keep up through the end of the year.

We are stacking out for the year it looks like. This will most likely be my last hitch then it's time to look for work. Y'all are doing well in a stagnant time because of the way your company does work, the quality of tools y'all have and the people you employ. As you know I've been in the industry a while and have worked closely with your company. Y'all just do it right.
JSAPP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #92
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAPP View Post
We are stacking out for the year it looks like. This will most likely be my last hitch then it's time to look for work. Y'all are doing well in a stagnant time because of the way your company does work, the quality of tools y'all have and the people you employ. As you know I've been in the industry a while and have worked closely with your company. Y'all just do it right.
Thank you sir. It’s taken some time to get there but hopefully it continues. The motors are continuing to get better and have more options in the works.

You guys are some of the ones I knew about. Hopefully it won’t last long
Old 09-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #93
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
We just finished the first well on a new project for a new operator. 19 day well when they previously averaged 47 days per well. We have a lot of room to improve on 19 days, but the CEO made a rig visit and was very pleased. He said this rig has guaranteed work until Dec 2020 and theyre picking up 3 more rigs. Things can go south in a hurry but for the foreseeable future weee doing alright.
You on 659?
Old 09-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #94
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

In the Permian basin things are still busy and still screaming along around pecos north to Carlsbad. A few smaller companies have slowed a bit due to overspending earlier in the year. The bigger players are still busy

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #95
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
You on 659?
Yes sir.

I drove from Kermit to Mentone on 302 this morning and if its slowing down over this way they sure forgot to tell the idiots on the road!
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #96
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes sir.

I drove from Kermit to Mentone on 302 this morning and if it’s slowing down over this way they sure forgot to tell the idiots on the road!
Those guys did a smart thing picking up a rig that had just left EOG. Pair that with y’all and good tools they shouldn’t ever see the slow wells again
Old 09-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #97
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Quote:
Those guys did a smart thing picking up a rig that had just left EOG. Pair that with yall and good tools they shouldnt ever see the slow wells again
are they running the Atlas tool?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #98
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Yes sir.

I drove from Kermit to Mentone on 302 this morning and if its slowing down over this way they sure forgot to tell the idiots on the road!
That's the whole dam Permian. I got a guy over there in Mentone today and he was telling me all about the idiots. I'm in Barstow and the rest of the idiots were on 20 this morning

Y'all boys keep drilling!!! Keeps me and my guys out here running gas lift equipment.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #99
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Glad you got the 3rd qtr bump! Im convinced 4th qtr is going to be slow but so far my customers keep sending POs and one old customer came back this week so Im hopeful.
I appreciate it. Tell em to keep em coming, dont want them to start the new year behind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRichardson View Post
Mike -

Are you machining motor parts?
A few here and there, but the customer that has me slammed lately is liner hangers. I have to admit, I dont know what most of the stuff we make is. I am familiar with hanger stuff since I worked for an OEM for almost 10yrs.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #100
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thank you sir. Its taken some time to get there but hopefully it continues. The motors are continuing to get better and have more options in the works.

You guys are some of the ones I knew about. Hopefully it wont last long

What motor are yall running?

PM if you want.