Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Hunt In: Beeville, tx
Default Cruise line help

Hey there, possibly planning a trip in december -january . Something leaving out of Galveston, 5-7 days. I have been on princess and royal carribean. But it has been a while and curious as to what cruise line you seasoned cruisers like the most. Not positive if this trip will happen but im looking into it. FYI- there will be 2 elderly people with us. One gets around well and the other uses a wheelchair for long walks.
j.trevor123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke

Royal.. I've been on a RC line twice and it's been an exquisite experience each time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hully1029 View Post
Royal.. I've been on a RC line twice and it's been an exquisite experience each time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have heard good things about them
Old 08-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Deerguy
Eight Point

I've done Princess 3 times (Alaska) and Carnival twice (Bahamas and Mexico). Haven't done RC yet, but are booked with them for a cruise in about 10 days or so t the Caribbean. From all the looking I've done it looks like the RC cruise will be the best of all of them, really like the way the ship is done. But, can't speak for the food and entertainment yet, though. Carnival is definitely is last place (although it is still nice).
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
rudedog47
Four Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Royal C.....
rudedog47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

We did a carnival cruise... once. Never again!!!

Pretty much ruined the idea of cruising for me all together. I have no other experiences to compare it to, so Iím not sure about the other lines. But if I was to ever give it another shot, it would not be on any carnival ship.
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

we go on carnival, lot of kids on there in the summer but when school is in its not bad.
I guess we need to try another cruise line but have always been happy with Carnival, we are pretty simple people though...we have been on 10+ cruises and really only had one bad cruise. We leave Sept 14 to go to Aruba with Carnival, can't wait.

Last edited by TENRMORE; 08-29-2019 at 10:02 AM.
TENRMORE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
meangreen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke

Royal is the best for the money in my opinion
meangreen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
DWS
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazoria County

NOT CARNIVAL!!!!! Just got back. Terrible!
DWS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #10
Maddox
Ten Point

Disney
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #11
Deerguy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENRMORE View Post
we go on carnival, lot of kids on there in the summer but when school is in its not bad.
I guess we need to try another cruise line but have always been happy with Carnival, we are pretty simple people though...we have been on 10+ cruises and really only had one bad cruise. We leave Sept 14 to go to Aruba with Carnival, can't wait.
Sweet. We're leaving Sept. 8th on RC for Puerto Rico, Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, and St. Maarten. Never been that far south in the Caribbean, looking forward to it as well.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Texas

I have only cruised with Carnival and I am not opposed to them again but I will probably try R.C. next. Carnival has a reputation as a booze/party cruise and RC has a reputation of being a little classier with better food. Carnival has always been a party when I have cruised. Either way, its a total no brainer vacation. I love it.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas, in your stand when you aint there :)

I cruised carnival out of Galveston in May of this year and had a fantastic time. Iíve taken 5-7 cruises and theyíve all been carnival and I donít have any complaints at all.

My parents are over 50+ cruises by now I believe and they are fans of Royal Caribbean but will still take Carnival if the deal is right. They like RC because of the perks of their membership level, they say it far exceeds anything that carnival can offer.

Enjoy yourself regardless of which line you choose!
JTRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #14
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: The river

We just took Celebrity to Alaska, no complaints. But, I'm a first timer, so nothing to compare it to.
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #15
Leemo
Ten Point

Carnival ships smell like doooo doooo
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #16
Kelmat
Four Point

Hunt In: Shelby county

We’ve done a couple RCs, one out of Miami and one out of San Juan. My wife did a RC out of Galveston with her Mom and sister- said the Galveston cruise is not as nice as the others we did- different type of passangers��
Kelmat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 12:15 AM   #17
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

Cruised carnival this year on the vista out of Galveston. Would go again. Wife and I went without the kids. Food was great in the dining rooms. Plenty of entertainment.
Would also go on RC without hesitation if we go again based experiences our friends had on multiple crises with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
basschump is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 06:38 AM   #18
huntindude
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazoria county and Menard

Weíve done RC twice and liked it. Whichever route you go if you like to drink spend the money upfront on the drink packages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
huntindude is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #19
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Yah we are looking into royal Caribbean. We will see, anyone taken someone who needs a wheelchair often? How was the experience with that?
Old 08-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #20
FIRE59
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Have been on 27 cruises, all on RC. Was on the Liberty out of Galveston 3 weeks ago. You will not have any issues with your wheelchair passenger, there are plenty of elevators and room to get around. i would make sure to look into booking a handicap accessible room for them however. The cabins would be the toughest part to navigate.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
FIRE59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #21
Tx_Wader
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Carnival has the new ship Visa which is their largest. Friends going on it soon.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #22
cwd500
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sour Lake, Tx Hardin Co.

Ive been on serveral Carnival ships total of 8 cruises out of Galveston. I have had a great time on everyone of them. My wife and I will be on the Carnival Dream for NYE, leaving on Dec 28 and coming back on Jan 2. Although the price is alot more for a NYE cruise.
cwd500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #23
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Royal
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #24
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

Just back from our first cruise last week - RC out of Galveston. We hit Cozumel, Grand Cayman, then Jamaica.
The staff/crew were all great; food was great; everything was way above expectations.
Due to (especially) the small round showers, we wondered how not only disabled folks took showers, but how some of the quite obese folks on board fit in the showers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE59 View Post
You will not have any issues with your wheelchair passenger, there are plenty of elevators and room to get around. i would make sure to look into booking a handicap accessible room for them however. The cabins would be the toughest part to navigate.
While a lot of folks did a WHOLE lot of drinking (not that I'm opposed to it), we did not experience much in the way of obnoxious drunks. We did not buy the 'beverage package' because we were going to be off the ship for three days and there is no way we would have averaged 5 drinks a day for the 7-day cruise to make it worthwhile.

The only 'negative' I would mention had nothing to do with the ship/cruise - once I logged on to RC's website/app, I started getting an email (or two) every day for two months offering me 'last minute' savings on extra packages, excursions, etc. They were relentless.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #25
BrandonH
Pope & Young

We've been on Carnival, RC, Princess & Disney. Disney was by far the best experience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
jtr
Nubbin' Buck

Carnival has been ok. Would like to try RC in the future though. Had an issue with my accident and found out there are no security cameras in the hallways. Son got his arm broken and they never could or didnt want to find the person who pushed him into the wall. I'm sure the kids were being kids but no excuse for an adult to hurt a kid. Probably a good thing I didnt find out who it was...
jtr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top