Travelling with gun IAH (houston)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling with gun IAH (houston)

Has something changed recently with travelling with guns at this (IAH) airport?

I have brought my gun many places out of that airport, with little to no issues. My last few times, i merely placed the card in the gun case, and they sent it along on the conveyor belt.

Yesterday my friend flew out, with a gun and was forced to go through many hoops and the process took almost 3 hours.

Even though he was flying out of terminal C they forced him to go (with, his young son, two coolers, the gun, and a suitcase to terminal B to check in. Then TSA had to come inspect his .243...and of course they swabbed it , which of course tested positive for gunpowder which i am sure many of you know triggered a whole protocol with supervisors etc. when this was finally all done, he had to return to terminal C to catch his flight.(which luckily was delayed)

So has something changed there? I have a hunting trip coming out where i fly out at 5am....and now i am wondering if i should reconsider bringing my gun? With the flight being so early, it's no like i can show up early to allow time as security and ticketing wont be open.

thanks for you help with this decision

The TSA is beyond terrible, each airport has different rules and yet the same oversight. In Houston you are not made to take everything out of your bags or pockets yet in Louisville you must take everything out. The very nice, over weight TSA lady yelled at me so that I understood Houston rules do not apply in Louisville. I explained to her that Houston had no such rules, she let me know that she did not care what Houston does, in Louisville you empty everything....
    I have not herd of anything changing but it seems like it all depends on who you get that particular day.
    Best of Luck

Comment

I flew out of IAH Friday with my shotgun. I did have to go from Terminal C to Terminal B back to C. Once there, the process went smoothly. Nowhere close to 3 hours.

Comment

I just want to know where Instant read GSR kits are available at?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          I just want to know where Instant read GSR kits are available at?

When they checked mine they put the swab in some machine for a few second then told me I was good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
            When they checked mine they put the swab in some machine for a few second then told me I was good to go.
            Scanning electron microscope maybe?

Gun shot residue consists of lead, antimony and barium which is what gsr looks for.

We have to wait 4-6 months for results on murders but TSA can get it in seconds. That's pure awesomeness

Comment

Would sure be nice if TSA could hire people with at least a high school education and no criminal background instead of overrated rent a cops.

Comment

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
                Has something changed recently with travelling with guns at this (IAH) airport?

I have brought my gun many places out of that airport, with little to no issues. My last few times, i merely placed the card in the gun case, and they sent it along on the conveyor belt.

Yesterday my friend flew out, with a gun and was forced to go through many hoops and the process took almost 3 hours.

Even though he was flying out of terminal C they forced him to go (with, his young son, two coolers, the gun, and a suitcase to terminal B to check in. Then TSA had to come inspect his .243...and of course they swabbed it , which of course tested positive for gunpowder which i am sure many of you know triggered a whole protocol with supervisors etc. when this was finally all done, he had to return to terminal C to catch his flight.(which luckily was delayed)

So has something changed there? I have a hunting trip coming out where i fly out at 5am....and now i am wondering if i should reconsider bringing my gun? With the flight being so early, it's no like i can show up early to allow time as security and ticketing wont be open.

thanks for you help with this decision

If you’re using an outfitter, I would ship it to them in advance and have them ship it back to you. You could avoid a whole lot of headache that way.

Comment

T s a employees were probably ****** at Trump for taking out their hero

Comment

Unfortunately this is telling me not to book a hunt for which I am not willing to drive.

Comment

My guess is nothing changed. TSA just doesnt know from one minute to the next what rules they will follow. Everytime I fly with a bow I get different actions from those idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                        I flew out of IAH Friday with my shotgun. I did have to go from Terminal C to Terminal B back to C. Once there, the process went smoothly. Nowhere close to 3 hours.
                        sounds like trying to do this with a 5am flight is not going to work

Comment

Amazing. Swabbing a gun for residue. "Hey, John, let's run the guy through the ringer. This gun has actually been fired before."

Comment

I don't understand swabbing for gsr. Do they not expect a gun to have been fired? And if it has been, so what, isn't that what it is made for?

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                              I don't understand swabbing for gsr. Do they not expect a gun to have been fired? And if it has been, so what, isn't that what it is made for?
                              I've had my gun/inside case swabbed more than a few times. After the alarm goes off, and the supervisor shows up, the supervisor always seems to tell the underling that they should have done just a physical check(under padding etc) and NOT swabbed gun or case

Comment

Working...
                              X