Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
buckhunter98
Spike

Default TPWD Whitetail Draw Hunts

Been looking at putting in for some draw hunts the past couple years. Was really interested if the areas that have draw hunts even have good deer numbers or not? Or is it really just a waste of time? Gonna apply either way this year, but just wanna hear yalls opinion
buckhunter98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=733607
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Awful deer numbers and a waste of time..
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
furtrapper
Six Point

Hunt In: Navarro and Freestone counties

Save your money so I get a better chance
furtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

lousy hunts...no animals...bad service.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #6
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

It depends on the hunt but you can make some kills for sure. I've never drawn anything in 7+ years of putting in for every category since before the online system, but if you're a 1st time applicant in the online system you'll probably draw 2-3 hunts. My theory is there's some sort of weight for 1st time applicants, we see it every year. My kids on the other hand have been drawn here and there for youth hunts and they've mostly been pretty good hunts and pretty good systems setup.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

No good deer on public land.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
hilltop101
Spike

If you look through the catalog it will list last years success rate at the bottom of each unit if a hunt was held there the previous year. That will give you an idea.
hilltop101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop101 View Post
If you look through the catalog it will list last years success rate at the bottom of each unit if a hunt was held there the previous year. That will give you an idea.
My wife says I'm super OCD about hunting but I've kept the last several years worth of draw hunt books. I look back on them as a reference to keep track of year after year success rates on places I wanna put in to try and draw a hunt on. Lets me know if a WMA has had continued success or not.
BradBryant1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #10
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

They also publish their data online through their webiste, in case you lose the book or are missing one.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...atistics.phtml

This is how I mapped out which hunts I applied for. You can sort and filter from highest probability to lowest if you export to excel. The notes included are interesting as well.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #11
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Double post

Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-10-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
They also publish their data online through their webiste, in case you lose the book or are missing one.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...atistics.phtml

This is how I mapped out which hunts I applied for. You can sort and filter from highest probability to lowest if you export to excel. The notes included are interesting as well.
I guess I've never really looked at that report before. Definitely gonna look it over more.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #13
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

It is critical for us to also look at the harvest statistics, in addition TO the published info in the hunt booklet. We like to hunt and attempt to get on new WMA's to target an exotic hunt or a deer gun or archery hunt for a reason. The hogs, coyotes or non-target exotics are extra in our minds and don't accurately reflect the true success. I don't drive 2000 miles to Texas to shoot a doe, when I can kill 3-4 here. Always look at the true success rates, and make your mind up from there.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #14
bigchiefj
Six Point

They're hard to draw, but fun hunts. Where else can you get a deer hunt from $80 to $130?

Some hunts are harder than others, but no two hunts are created equal. Hunting mule deer with a bow is going to be a lot more difficult than using a rifle to shoot a doe over corn.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #15
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
It is critical for us to also look at the harvest statistics, in addition TO the published info in the hunt booklet. We like to hunt and attempt to get on new WMA's to target an exotic hunt or a deer gun or archery hunt for a reason. The hogs, coyotes or non-target exotics are extra in our minds and don't accurately reflect the true success. I don't drive 2000 miles to Texas to shoot a doe, when I can kill 3-4 here. Always look at the true success rates, and make your mind up from there.
If you are driving from Idaho to hunt Texas public lands for anything other then a bighorn sheep tag you already screwed up.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #16
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
If you are driving from Idaho to hunt Texas public lands for anything other then a bighorn sheep tag you already screwed up.

Is that a fact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #17
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
No good deer on public land.

All deer taste good. Can't eat the antlers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #18
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

Some are really good and some are not. Do some thread searching on here and you can find info on almost all of em.
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #19
db@100
Eight Point

I've been applying every year for the last 20 years...still waiting to get drawn!
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #20
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
Is that a fact?

Letíem know! Haha

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #21
bowhuntingw
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
what ^^^ he said. As a NR coming to texas to hunt, I would much rather go somewhere else, unless you have private access. our public land draw hunting system is the least opportunistic of any ive seen, and i'm referring to getting drawn. I would not come to hunt national forest here either. residents have a big time advantage in that dept. just my .02.

Last edited by bowhuntingw; 07-11-2019 at 05:27 PM.
bowhuntingw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #22
SHSU18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

ive always said i was gonna apply just for the experience... maybe this year..
SHSU18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #23
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #24
LoneStarCarnivo
Four Point

I have been pretty successful, I create a spreadsheet every year with draw odds, success rates, etc of the locations I am interested in. I created a simple algorithm that assigns them a "weight" and the best are the ones I apply for.
LoneStarCarnivo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #25
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
Is that a fact?

Very nice buck. I have shot nice ones as well on Texas public lands. Iím just saying a 2000 mile trip from something you could find in your home state isnít really worth it. Even more so when you add in the average success rate, overcrowding, etc that comes along with Texas public lands. Not saying good deer canít be found but just that it isnít worth a 2000 mile trip just so you can complain about it later.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #26
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

Hey guys, figured I better jump back in here. Don't want to get an argument started and sure don't want to get the thread off-track. I just happen to be a good old boy that likes to hunt, anything and anywhere, and I happen to live in another state now after being in Texas for a while. Finally being retired, we can make our schedules fit any of the hunt dates.

I can, and do, shoot multiple trophies in 3 states within two hours of my house here in Idaho. Deer/elk/bear are OTC and I can go any time I'm free. Have a Utah muzzy antelope tag for Sept., and a late WY whitetail hunt in November this year. They don't take a lot of commitment or travel. Got a really patient wife that loves to hunt also, so no arguments in the house about it.

We just love public land hunting, and do tons of it here too. If you came up here to hunt, that is most likely where I would take you. In Texas, it happens to be WMA's and each has a unique draw of its own. Aoudad, oryx, axis are all things we can't find here. Even WT and MD are an attraction, just because we get to pit our skills against them in a different area or different style.

Its not that we don't trophy hunt, but we do want to be successful too. We managed to kill the best deer on the Chaparral in the last 10 years at 172+" and 14 points, and have hunted other areas where some studs were taken. On a percentage basis, I can probably kill more 120" deer here in Idaho on the river thru town, but have a chance for bigger ones there in Texas.

If you want to reverse the trip, call anytime and we will give you a taste of Idaho public land hunting.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 01:34 AM   #27
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Hey guys, figured I better jump back in here. Don't want to get an argument started and sure don't want to get the thread off-track. I just happen to be a good old boy that likes to hunt, anything and anywhere, and I happen to live in another state now after being in Texas for a while. Finally being retired, we can make our schedules fit any of the hunt dates.

I can, and do, shoot multiple trophies in 3 states within two hours of my house here in Idaho. Deer/elk/bear are OTC and I can go any time I'm free. Have a Utah muzzy antelope tag for Sept., and a late WY whitetail hunt in November this year. They don't take a lot of commitment or travel. Got a really patient wife that loves to hunt also, so no arguments in the house about it.

We just love public land hunting, and do tons of it here too. If you came up here to hunt, that is most likely where I would take you. In Texas, it happens to be WMA's and each has a unique draw of its own. Aoudad, oryx, axis are all things we can't find here. Even WT and MD are an attraction, just because we get to pit our skills against them in a different area or different style.

Its not that we don't trophy hunt, but we do want to be successful too. We managed to kill the best deer on the Chaparral in the last 10 years at 172+" and 14 points, and have hunted other areas where some studs were taken. On a percentage basis, I can probably kill more 120" deer here in Idaho on the river thru town, but have a chance for bigger ones there in Texas.

If you want to reverse the trip, call anytime and we will give you a taste of Idaho public land hunting.
No arguments here. My original comment was meant somewhat jokingly anyways. Glad you enjoy the hunts. I wish I could get to more places to hunt. Always enjoy getting to learn new areas and new styles of hunting. One of the days Iíll have a bit more free time to do some traveling for hunts.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #28
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:

Sounds like a well thought out and planned way of life you've got going on, impressive.
I'd love to take a look at Idaho someday, need to conquer Wyoming and Colorado first as I've just recently started hunting out of state but I'm gonna be interested in a different look in a few years for sure.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #29
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

Donated $110. Good luck all.

gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #30
Grumpyfoot
Four Point

Hunt In: Public Land,Zapata County

Every hunt is an adventure in and of itself. You don’t have to kill to have hunted. It’s about what you enjoy, and learn from the experience. If you’re interested, do it.
Grumpyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #31
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyfoot View Post
Every hunt is an adventure in and of itself. You donít have to kill to have hunted. Itís about what you enjoy, and learn from the experience. If youíre interested, do it.
Sometimes I'd rather not kill, a lot less work that way. LOL
Old 07-30-2019, 08:06 PM   #32
Torqman
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyfoot View Post
Every hunt is an adventure in and of itself. You don’t have to kill to have hunted. It’s about what you enjoy, and learn from the experience. If you’re interested, do it.
This, I have a lease, am fortunate enough to be able to afford any hunts i want to go on, however can't wait to get the email that my group got drawn! It's awesome and we bounce around the state seeing things that i wouldn't have seen and hunt places i wouldn't have unless drawn.
Torqman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #33
Grumpyfoot
Four Point

Hunt In: Public Land,Zapata County

Not killing is more the rule than the exception for me.
Grumpyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #34
Freight Mover
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF & Cleveland

I've been on quite a few drawn hunts. I've been fortunate to draw at least one hunt every other year. For the other years I have found a place that I have been able to get on as a standby

Some of the hunts have been great hunts and challenging. Others have been nothing more than hunting a campground. I have literally hunted next to a picnic table on one.

The bad part is some of the hunts I like to go on have reduced the overall permit numbers. This will make it more difficult to draw.

Just put in for one. You never know when you will be drawn. Pick the areas you would like to hunt in that you normally can't.
My son and I drew Laguna Atasscosa last year and it was the first time for this area. This one has low permits and a high number of applicants. Probably will never draw it again.
Freight Mover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top