Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Brackettville
Default Stand and Fill Choices

Iím about to upgrade both of my feeders and these are the two Iím looking at.....Both are the same price and both are 600#.

Which one and why?

Pros and Cons of each please...

Lamco Low and Throw

http://www.lamcofeeders.com/products...ow-corn-feeder

MB Ranch King Mighty Buck Feeder

http://ranchkingblinds.com/feeders/mighty-buck-feeder/
bowsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

I have 3 of the lamcos. I know of no cons. The are easy to fill , don't leave corn under the feeder, coons can't get to the timer and controls easy to get to.
Haven't tried or don't know anyone with the MB. The only thing I would worry aboyt is the eliminator plate. Not for sure, but I think that is what a buddy of mine had on his feeder & had some issues that it would get stiff and not work properly. Again ,this could be a different plate. Honestly ,both are probably top of the line products.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
Irish_25
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall, Texas

I will be getting one of the 1000lb lamco before next season. I have read they disperse corn pretty good cause of the plates and doest pile up under the feeder like others with cages.
Irish_25 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

LAMCO low and throw are the best stand and fills on the market. No corn under feeder, motor mounted on inside and out of the elements and the control unit mounted on the side for easy access.
RMW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #5
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Everything you guys are saying about the Lamco, I am seeing in the Mighty Buck Feeder also....Am I wrong in that thinking?
Old 01-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

I have the ASF and have zero complaints but that Lamco feeder is a good looking feeder. I'd probably lean that way if I were buying another.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #7
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I looked at both when I bought my Lamco's.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #8
Irish_25
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall, Texas

That mb feeder looks good and seems to have the same advantages as the lamco. The only reason I am going with the lamco is I can get them less than a mile from my house.

Last edited by Irish_25; 01-24-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Irish_25 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_25 View Post
That mb feeder looks good and seems to have the same advantages as the lamco. The only reasreason I am going with the lamco is I can get them less than a mile from my house.
I can get either one at the same place close to my house so distance is not an issue
Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

My only con against the MB would possibly the eliminator plate. I don't like anything more complex than necessary, if you knew my luck ,you would know why. LOL!
The lamco does the same thing with a regular spinner plate.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #11
takarge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bedias

Look at the krivoman feeders! I just bought one and love it. He has tons of different designs and does custom stuff also.
takarge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 07:07 AM   #12
mjhunter82
Four Point

Hunt In: Realitos

Bought Lamco for last season. Withstood critters and hogs w/o any issues. I'd buy again if had to.
mjhunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #13
finfeather98
Six Point

Hunt In: El Campo, Port O Connor, Freer

I have 3 lamco and they are great. Agree with everything DUKFVR said. The eliminator plate is good but I had one not close and pour all the corn on the ground. Not fun to watch on your covert when the lease is 5 hours away and you can get there for a few weeks. Never an issue with the lamco.
finfeather98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #14
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Frio, Blanco Counties

I have a might buck and love it. Timer in the lid, right at eye height. Te motor/spinner is in a sturdy housing. I'm not sure the Lamco is as sturdy, but haven't laid eyes on one. That's a lot going on underneath the Lamco with the sheetmetal plates?
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #15
Ruttin&Struttin
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

Looks like more guys have Lamcos. I don't have experience with either. That said, I would go ask the owner and or manager at the place you intend to buy a feeder and ask them their thoughts on the two. They would likely be hearing feedback from customers. Good luck.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #16
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

We have the All Seasons so I don't have any input on the two you are asking about. But, I do like the looks of that MB.
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #17
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I have a might buck and love it. Timer in the lid, right at eye height. Te motor/spinner is in a sturdy housing. I'm not sure the Lamco is as sturdy, but haven't laid eyes on one. That's a lot going on underneath the Lamco with the sheetmetal plates?
There's nothing "going on" those plates keep the coons out and slings all the corn out evenly. It pretty muck throws it about 18 yards in every direction. IMO the Lamco has a more sturdy base and skid plate. With those plates corn doesn't sit under the feeder

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 01-25-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #18
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Cant go wrong with either .

I have the ranch king and been going all season with no issues. Very good setup on the overall height for filling and where controls are located etc.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #19
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
There's nothing "going on" those plates keep the coons out and slings all the corn out evenly. It pretty muck throws it about 18 yards in ever direction. IMO the Lamco has a more sturdy base and skid plate.
I know you really like lamco....but.

I have seen and used both and I wouldn't say the lamco has a "more sturdy base".

If you want sturdy go buy one of the ones made by rambal on here in San angelo. Same style as lamco but made of out of real steel. We have one of those as well and it will outlast all of us.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #20
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post

I have seen and used both and I wouldn't say the lamco has a "more sturdy base".

If you want sturdy go buy one of the ones made by rambal on here in San angelo. Same style as lamco but made of out of real steel. We have one of those as well and it will outlast all of us.
I'm not sure Lamco is the best. I've never heard of Rambal, but I will look into it if I need another. Like some have mentioned you can't go wrong with most of the top of the line stand and fills.

I've personally seen and tested the Lamco, Mighty Buck, and ASF. I would put them in that order. I would add that I've heard nothing but good things about Krivoman's directional feeder, and would have bought one, but he was on vacation when I needed it.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 01-25-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #21
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Lamco hands down..... If you are still on the fence then go with best customer service. I'll tell you right now, Lamco wins that category too. I know from experience.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #22
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

There was a fairly big difference in price when I looked at the lamcos and the ranchking. I don't remember exactly but I think it was about 150.00 difference.
What are the prices where you are buying from. I bought the 600lb lamco and it was 720.00 out the door with the battery and the Timer.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #23
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntxhunter View Post
There was a fairly big difference in price when I looked at the lamcos and the ranchking. I don't remember exactly but I think it was about 150.00 difference.
What are the prices where you are buying from. I bought the 600lb lamco and it was 720.00 out the door with the battery and the Timer.

Prices are the same...
Old 01-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #24
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

I just ordered a 1000lb krivoman easy fill with a directional unit. Hope to pick it up the end of next week and get it set up in Tom Greene next weekend.
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #25
Todd-ty729
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County and formerly Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I'm not sure Lamco is the best. I've never heard of Rambal, but I will look into it if I need another. Like some have mentioned you can't go wrong with most of the top of the line stand and fills.

I've personally seen and tested the Lamco, Mighty Buck, and ASF. I would put them in that order. I would add that I've heard nothing but good things about Krivoman's directional feeder, and would have bought one, but he was on vacation when I needed it.
We bought 4 of the "Rambal" feeders this past year and they are great. Will be getting a few more this year. I'm a lamco fan and like Ranch King products but have never owned anything Ranch King.

I am done with the eliminator plates. Had several of the chain links break and get hung. Neat idea, just too many moving parts for an automatic corn feeder.

The "Ramball" feeders that are referenced are made by Double Barrel Fabrication in San Angelo. I am impressed with them so far.
Todd-ty729 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #26
MagicBlade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Never used either of the feeders your looking at but have two Capsule feeders and have never had a problem. Easy to fill and even have remotes available.

https://www.outdoorsforless.com/cap-...yABEgKJ0fD_BwE
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #27
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

http://www.doublebarrelfabrication.com
Old 01-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #28
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Anybody have any long term use on the MB? We've had a couple Lamco's (not the shorty but the econo where you stand up on the side struts to fill) on our lease for 9 years and it is by far the best set of feeders we have. No rust, no fading, nothing. They just work. Unlike some other feeders that rely on paint that have faded and rusted over time in the sun, etc.

Also, I would not be a fan of the eliminator plate on anything other than a road feeder. those things seize up, etc over time. I've seen it and heard it before. I just want my feeder to throw when I am not there... plain and simple. On a road feeder, springy things are all well and good because I can zap it with WD40 before I jump in the truck.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
We bought 4 of the "Rambal" feeders this past year and they are great. Will be getting a few more this year. I'm a lamco fan and like Ranch King products but have never owned anything Ranch King.

I am done with the eliminator plates. Had several of the chain links break and get hung. Neat idea, just too many moving parts for an automatic corn feeder.

The "Ramball" feeders that are referenced are made by Double Barrel Fabrication in San Angelo. I am impressed with them so far.
Do you have a picture of them?

Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #30
DamonJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

I really like the lamco design, some of the guys on our place run them. I have 4 of the ASF 600lb

I know some do not like bending down to adjust times, the external timer was one of the reasons I decided to go with these. A lot easier to work on if a motor goes out with a full feeder. And the price at the time buying 4 was a factor.

At 1st I was worried about corn under the feeder, but after 2 seasons running these things, some of the deer seem to like eating the corn from under the feeder more than what is scattered out, and plenty is thrown out..

If I was going between the lamco and the mighty buck, I'd go Lamco.
DamonJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #31
Casey
Administrator

Corn under a feeder is a non-issue. We have 3 different types of stand and fills, all with varying designs and corn never piles up, rots, or otherwise creates a problem being under a feeder. Deer, hogs, you name it, they get to that corn with ease. As far as I'm concerned, that's a made-up issue that doesn't exist in reality.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #32
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Corn under a feeder is a non-issue. We have 3 different types of stand and fills, all with varying designs and corn never piles up, rots, or otherwise creates a problem being under a feeder. Deer, hogs, you name it, they get to that corn with ease. As far as I'm concerned, that's a made-up issue that doesn't exist in reality.
I am glad I am not the only one who never understood the "corn under the feeder" thing. I get that you may want most of your corn thrown far to spread it out... but corn dribbling under the feeder has never been an issue that I have ever witnessed nor understood.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #33
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Not saying they don't eat the corn under the feeder but two issues. One, ruling arrows and broadheads shooting through the animals and hitting a leg and when the arrow hit the buck he jerks up his head and breaks a time or main beam in the cage under the feeder. So I'm careful where I take the shot.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #34
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

LAMCO! I have 3 of their regular feeders and my buddy owns 5 1000 Low Throw models. No issues among either of us
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #35
Casey
Administrator

Just happens to be the only pic I have handy and it's the Mighty Buck feeder. There is no corn under the feeder issue. We have similar pics with the Game Winners from Academy and the green ones the Lowe's grocery stores sell all over the Hill County. Corn under the feeder is not an issue with stand and fills.

Name:  IMG_0067.JPG
Views: 734
Size:  284.4 KB
Old 01-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #36
Todd-ty729
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County and formerly Mexico

Quote:
Do you have a picture of them?

I do, somewhere, but I can't find them.
Todd-ty729 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #37
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

I have a couple of all seasons and HB's too. No issue with corn underneath them. Deer and hogs clean it up fast.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #38
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

I have a Diamond VarmintX 600lb feeder that is my favorite design out of all the stand and fill feeders that I have seen on the market. The reason is the latches that it comes with which are the buckle design that you can actually lock. I like that because coins get very creative when trying to figure out a way to get into something that has food in it. I also feel like it is a much more sturdy feeder overall.

They have gone out of business since I bought mine...well someone else bought them out is the more accurate term I guess. Now they are called Judge Feeders and the ones they sell now are similar but the leg design doesn't have any cross braces and the mechanisms for latching the lids and access compartment for the battery and timer aren't lockable. The removable legs are for ease of shipping according to the manufacturer and Cabelas in Ft Worth are supposed to carry them. I paid 800.00 for my Diamond and the Judge is supposed to be 650.00 if I remember correctly.

I like the Lamco overall and the battery and timer compartment are lockable. My only issues or things I think they could improve on are the leg braces and the rubber latches for the lid.
In the big scheme of things these arent that big of an issue cause I stake my feeders down with 4 Tpost and I wired the Lamco lid with wire just in case the coons tried to get into it.

I thought the MB feeders might have been weak down at the bottom where the spinner plate was but they are heavy duty material and I don't see anything tearing them up I just didn't want to spend the e tra money for the MB at the time but I do like the overall design.

The AS feeders are okay but I think they could improve their overall design regarding the access of the timer and making it varmint proof without the cage on the bottom and the diverter plate to keep corn from piling up underneath it.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #39
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have a Diamond VarmintX 600lb feeder that is my favorite design out of all the stand and fill feeders that I have seen on the market. The reason is the latches that it comes with which are the buckle design that you can actually lock. I like that because coins get very creative when trying to figure out a way to get into something that has food in it. I also feel like it is a much more sturdy feeder overall.

They have gone out of business since I bought mine...well someone else bought them out is the more accurate term I guess. Now they are called Judge Feeders and the ones they sell now are similar but the leg design doesn't have any cross braces and the mechanisms for latching the lids and access compartment for the battery and timer aren't lockable. The removable legs are for ease of shipping according to the manufacturer and Cabelas in Ft Worth are supposed to carry them. I paid 800.00 for my Diamond and the Judge is supposed to be 650.00 if I remember correctly.

I like the Lamco overall and the battery and timer compartment are lockable. My only issues or things I think they could improve on are the leg braces and the rubber latches for the lid.
In the big scheme of things these arent that big of an issue cause I stake my feeders down with 4 Tpost and I wired the Lamco lid with wire just in case the coons tried to get into it.

I thought the MB feeders might have been weak down at the bottom where the spinner plate was but they are heavy duty material and I don't see anything tearing them up I just didn't want to spend the e tra money for the MB at the time but I do like the overall design.

The AS feeders are okay but I think they could improve their overall design regarding the access of the timer and making it varmint proof without the cage on the bottom and the diverter plate to keep corn from piling up underneath it.

Those look really good
Old 01-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #40
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBlade View Post
Never used either of the feeders your looking at but have two Capsule feeders and have never had a problem. Easy to fill and even have remotes available.

https://www.outdoorsforless.com/cap-...yABEgKJ0fD_BwE
Glad to hear you have not had any issues. One of the guys on my lease has had problems with the auger not working properly. It will not throw corn on occasion...gets stuck. I do not own one so I do not know much about them. I have checked his Feeder for him on four occasions to make sure it is working. Stuff happens though.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #41
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Bad pic but only one I could find quick on my phone of the double barrel feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #42
Philemone
Six Point

Hunt In: Blanket Springs

I use the ASF's and really like them. The other OP posted look great as well.
Philemone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #43
bowsticker
Pope & Young

All great information but I decided on the Lamco.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #44
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsticker View Post

I would have not got the Lamco....they are too silvery and will scare your deer for miles...all the way to Jeff and Joel's pens.....
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #45
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Quote:
You will be happy with them!
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #46
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Lmao! I doubt that when they have a vending machine at my spot to choose what to eat....LOL
Old 01-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #47
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Those look like some good feeders!
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #48
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I would have not got the Lamco....they are too silvery and will scare your deer for miles...all the way to Jeff and Joel's pens.....
I tried to tell him!
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #49
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
I am glad I am not the only one who never understood the "corn under the feeder" thing. I get that you may want most of your corn thrown far to spread it out... but corn dribbling under the feeder has never been an issue that I have ever witnessed nor understood.
If your feeder is not in a feed pen hogs will root under feeder and make a hell of a mess.
RMW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #50
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Lmao! I doubt that when they have a vending machine at my spot to choose what to eat....LOL
LOL>...just yanking your chain..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top