Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are custom rifles worth it if you don't reload?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are custom rifles worth it if you don't reload?

I don't know enough about the high end range of rifles. Educate me, please.

For instance, is an $1800 totally custom gun, THAT much better than a $600 factory gun when both are using off the shelf ammo (that they like)?
    Last edited by TxAg; 01-04-2016, 04:11 PM.

Following this thread, curious myself... Looking into building a APR rifle and just curious how much better it is.

Comment

If you have to ask, probably not.

Comment

What exactly do you mean by, "THAT much better?"

Comment

I am probably in the minority but I say no.

After years of shooting, both hunting and competitive shooting (it really stands out in the latter) I have determined that MOST folks are not capable of out-shooting what their top quality production rifles can do

MOST folks are not nearly as good as the believe or profess to be

Most folks, not all folks
          But that is just IMHO and I am not trying to call out anyone in particular

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
            I am probably in the minority but I say no.

After years of shooting, both hunting and competitive shooting (it really stands out in the latter) I have determined that MOST folks are not capable of out-shooting what their top quality production rifles can do

MOST folks are not nearly as good as the believe or profess to be

Most folks, not all folks
            But that is just IMHO and I am not trying to call out anyone in particular

Pretty spot on here. Especially with the accuracy that can be had in an off the shelf rifle these days.

Comment

factory barrel vs. custom barrel

which one do you think will be more accurate ???

you can build a custom rifle for $1200-1300 if you do your research and buy used parts (action, HS Precision stock)

sell 2 factory guns for $1200 and invest in 1 custom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9zZqn00CA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9zZqn00CA[/ame]
              Last edited by Cajun Blake; 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

The first question you have to ask yourself is what do you want your gun to do. If all you need is something to kill a deer at 100 yards, anything you spend beyond the cost of a basic factory gun is wasted. If, on the other hand, you want to be able to consistently shoot 1 MOA or less, you will at least need to get lucky on your factory gun purchase if not spend the money for a high end factory gun or custom rifle. If it is important to you to also have a very good looking rifle, custom is the only way to go.

Comment

Accuracy is not the only criteria. Only with a custom build can your rifle be one of a kind.

Comment

With a custom everything is exactly the way you want it. My custom kills no better than my factory rifles but it's designed by me and it's my favorite.

Comment

Great feedback Keep it coming

still curious if getting the most out of a custom means handloads or is factory ammo (that it likes) good enough?

Comment

I'm with Thwackdaddy, my guns shoot better than me so I am the weak link. Personally for me there is no need for a custom gun but I can see the allure in one for sure. if I had no issue with funding I would definitely buy custom. I, like a lot of people on here, reload for my factory guns anyways.

Comment

Not for me. A great trigger on a good gun with the right ammo is all that I can utilize effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                            I don't know enough about the high end range of rifles. Educate me, please.

For instance, is an $1800 totally custom gun, THAT much better than a $600 factory gun when both are using off the shelf ammo (that they like)?
                            You get a gun... EXACTLY how you want it... Stock, barrel brand, barrel length, barrel contour, trigger, twist rate, color or coating... the whole set up

The action will be 100% right if a smith trues it. Head space will be perfect.

Most come with an accuracy guarantee. Most shoot UNDER their guarantee (i have seen this true with most smith's who are reputable, but they have to CYA.)

I think it is... I've seen 1 stock rifle that could shoot groups I've seen with customs... and it cost as much as the custom I'm looking at and I'd rather have it exactly the way I want.

I think it is worth every penny... but i'd rather have 1 NICE toy i trust and use... than 10 ehh toys

Comment

Yes.

My 6.5-284 shoots factory nosler trophy grade 140 grain accubond loads in the .2" range at 100. WTO actually did the testing with my rifle. Show me a factory gun that can do that....

And do it consistently. Cold bore shot and all the rest as it heats up.

However, I do agree that alot of folks cannot shoot well enough to even know any different. But, to the ones who can, its for sure worth it

Also, even if you dont reload, a good smith can build a chamber to shoot the factory ammo that you want and do so very accurately. They have full control over it.
                              Last edited by trophy8; 01-04-2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X