LSBA Pheasants and Flu-Flus 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
    Pretty much the same thing happened when we foolishly tried to keep compounds out of archery in the early 70's... The world survived that too, despite many predictions to the contrary..
    There is a BIG difference! The compound is a bow, drawn by the hand and shot. The crossthingy is a gun which shoots a bolt that looks like an arrow instead of a bullet.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      There is a BIG difference! The compound is a bow, drawn by the hand and shot. The crossthingy is a gun which shoots a bolt that looks like an arrow instead of a bullet.

Bisch
      I knew a whole bunch of archers who would disagree about a compound being a BOW at that time in history..

So... I guess we'll just have to disagree
      Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 01-10-2012, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
        I knew a whole bunch of archers who would disagree about a compound being a BOW at that time in history..

So... I guess we'll just have to disagree
        The compound was a new invention. The crosthingy is not!

Yes, we will have to disagree on this one.........

Now lets get back to pheasant hunting.....anybody want to go?

Bisch

Comment

The compound was a new invention. The crosthingy is not!

Yes, we will have to disagree on this one.........

Bisch
          Jerry, I'd love to go but I can't for several reasons.

Comment

Bisch
            How many went last year? And who won the Contest?
            Before the guns were drawn.....
            I remember it was cold and I stopped in to meet yall on my way to see GW but barely missed you.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
              How many went last year? And who won the Contest?
              Before the guns were drawn.....
              I remember it was cold and I stopped in to meet yall on my way to see GW but barely missed you.
              I believe there was 6 last year. I won first place with one bird bagged and a second one stuck, Gene was second with one bird bagged, and I can't remember for sure who was third.

The gun was out the entire hunt. We ended up with one person on the gun and everybody else with bows (we took turns on the gun). Afer any flush where all the archers missed then the guy with the gun would shoot the bird if he could. It worked great this way. Everybody got to take an archery shot at nearly every bird and we had a bag full of pheasants to eat that we split between us at the end of the hunt.

Bisch

Comment

I don't need another magazine or bumper sticker.
                I don't and won't be shooting their shoots and have several ????'s about this statement.-
                7. A Legislative Committee to keep watch
                for any issues that may pose a threat to bowhunting.

Help support bowhunting in Texas How?

Where does the $ go? and where was this Legislative committee when CROSSBOW voting was going on and WHAT was their stance on the issue?

If my $ is going to be paying for traveling expenses or to hunt , I want it to be for me and not the Board members of an archery org.

This is not the place to ask anyway.

Have a FUN and SAFE HUNT and I hope yall don't have to pull out the shotguns this year
                Todd,
                Here is a little information for you. I served on as a regional representative for LSBA and during my tenure I did not recieve payment nor a free hunt! In fact, I gave much of my free time to the organizations for the right reasons:

1. I am a hunteress
                2. I am passionate about the outdoors
                3. I was and still am a BOWhunter.
                4. I believe in passing on the great outdoors to the next generation. Therefore, I volunteered MY TIME to teach kids the sport of archery. If they choose to hunt, shoot 3D targets or decide they do not like the sport it is okay. At least, they were afforded the opportunity to pull a bow back.

5. I may shoot a compound bow, a traditional bow and a rifle but I still have a PASSION for the sport of archery and BOWhunting;therefore, if I participate in the archery season, which was created thanks to other LSBA members and board members before I may passion bowhunting, then I should support the organization that created it for us BOWhunters.

6. I helped with the Targeting Cancer 3D shoot for the right reasons...to help two fellow bowhunter and give back to the archery community.

7. Finally, when I attended and gave my time to LSBA at the SNAF..it was free of charge to SNAF. Not like some other folks who got paid for their services, rooms and meals. After all, I did it for the kids becuase they are the future of this sport...it is call paying it forward by giving of myself!

I will stop here since the thread is about hunting birds not about shooting down bowhunting organizations and TBH site Sponsors. It is called sipport Todd...you may not agree with all aspects of every organization but you learn as a bowhunting family we are able to accomplish the impossible, if we just support one another. Something that I have experienced first hand in 2011...a stick and string has provided me the best family one could imagine.
                Last edited by axisbuck24; 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bountyhunter View Post
                  Yep Ronny is 110% right!!! Fought against Crossbows for many years, but the biggies just had more money and more people fighting. If LSBA had more members and support that might not have happened.
                  It's hard to go against the wishes of your sponsors and advertising. Hi-fence operations think Keith Warren is god, makes the sun rise/set, and is the salvation of hunting...

But back on topic. I think you're wrong for making it members only. LSBA claims it represents all bowhunters, then you go and hold your functions for members only ?????. You'd get more members and participation with an open forum and I really doubt any non-members would make the pheasant hunt. So often we loose sight of who's most important, that's the new/future bowhunter. Makes one question what defines today's LSBA.

For those that are concerned about where the money is going, consider this; Anti-hunters have an annual budget of 70m-100m with over 250 people making 70k+. They're working 24/7 to pass the laws that will some day end hunting.
                  Last edited by Thumper; 01-10-2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                    It's hard to go against the wishes of your sponsors and advertising. Hi-fence operations think Keith Warren is god, makes the sun rise/set, and is the salvation of hunting...

But back on topic. I think you're wrong for making it members only. LSBA claims it represents all bowhunters, then you go and hold your functions for members only ?????. You'd get more members and participation with an open forum and I really doubt any non-members would make the pheasant hunt. So often we loose sight of who's most important, that's the new/future bowhunter. Makes one question what defines today's LSBA.

For those that are concerned about where the money is going, consider this; Anti-hunters have an annual budget of 70m-100m with over 250 people making 70k+. They're working 24/7 to pass the laws that will some day end hunting.
                    Anyone can go on this hunt. If they are not a member then they have to join to go on this hunt. This hunt was put together to be an LSBA member fellowship hunt. It was organized so that LSBA members could get together for a hunt and comeraderie (sp).

As this thread has obviously gotten way off topic I am going to see if I can get it pulled and start another one for this hunt that maybe will stay on topic. If we want to have a debate about the pros and cons of organizations like the LSBA then we need to start a thread just for that.

I am sorry for my help in getting this thread so off topic but I, as do many others, have some strong feelings on some of these topics.

Bisch
                    Last edited by Bisch; 01-10-2012, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I believe there was 6 last year. I won first place with one bird bagged and a second one stuck, Gene was second with one bird bagged, and I can't remember for sure who was third.

The gun was out the entire hunt. We ended up with one person on the gun and everybody else with bows (we took turns on the gun). Afer any flush where all the archers missed then the guy with the gun would shoot the bird if he could. It worked great this way. Everybody got to take an archery shot at nearly every bird and we had a bag full of pheasants to eat that we split between us at the end of the hunt.

Bisch
                      Thanks, I couldn't remember. How far do they fly when flushed? And how high do they get? Do you have time to get drawn when the dog is on point? Or is it draw and shoot Asbell style?

Comment

You have time but they fly pretty fast

Comment

Thanks, I couldn't remember. How far do they fly when flushed? And how high do they get? Do you have time to get drawn when the dog is on point? Or is it draw and shoot Asbell style?
                          They fly a country mile unless someone hits them. The can get pretty high too. They tend to rise like a helicopter to a certain point then take off like a jet fighter. You have to get them before they get to the jet fighter part. Most of us drew while the bird was on point then shot after the flush. But that did not happen every time that way either. It definitely happens prety fast.

Bisch

Comment

DE-RAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im dang sure working on this one. my 10th anniversiary is on the 14th. trying to talk my ole lady into making this happen. hope i can make it.

traditional bow hunter magazine said the NRA pushed the crossbow issue. stirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Found this on TT

Check out the video These look Like they would be pretty good

Comment

Bowhunter apathy is the biggest threat to Bowhunting.~Randy Ulmer

It is really sad how some of you guys continue to rag on the LSBA without knowing all the facts.

Todd please feel free to call me at 409 739-2630. I will be more than happy to discuss with you on all of the things the LSBA has been done legislatively and administratively for bowhunters of Texas. We have not always been successful, but we certainly have tried and responded.

The hunt will be open to non-LSBA members. The fee will be $300.00. Our supporters do receive a benefit for being a LSBA member. May your arrows fly true!

Dena Kana
                                LSBA President
                                409 739-2630
                                denakana@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X