Florida school shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
    There were armed folks on campus already.

Who's to say the armed teacher might not have shot the gunman and two kids while the gunman only shot 12 kids?

More guns in schools are not the answer
    There is no single answer, but having more armed good guys/gals in the schools is most certainly a sensible part of the solution. Dealing with mental health issues more effectively, particularly with those who express and exhibit violent tendencies, is the biggest part of the solution. Strengthening families, promoting better values, ending all the publicity for the perpetrators, curbing extreme violence in video games, etc.... All those would help as well.

Even if we do EVERY single thing better though, there will still be some crazy nutjob that will find a way to do evil. We can't prevent it all. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't take steps to prevent some though. I get sick of all the arguments against sensible efforts on the grounds of "that won't stop it all". No, nothing will stop it all. But we can dang sure stop a lot of it if we'd just use some common sense instead of letting political correctness be our guide.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
      I wont accept the suicides of mentally ill children that were failed by the very adults that were charged with taking care of them.
      They're committing mass shootings now ... So something has to change.

Comment

Saw a interview online and thought it’s very odd. Student says they are taught to run during fire drills(never heard of that for one) She says they were supposed to use blanks for a drill but turned out to be real bullets. I saved the video but don’t know how to load it on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
          They're committing mass shootings now ... So something has to change.
          I don't disagree. All the signs were there for adults to intervene. Calls to the FBI, 39 time police were at the residence. Expelled from school for violence.

What if he had been removed from his home and properly medicated. What if this was one of your children?

This kid didn't slip through the cracks, he was propelled through with rocket boosters.

Comment

I don't disagree. All the signs were there for adults to intervene. Calls to the FBI, 39 time police were at the residence. Expelled from school for violence.

What if he had been removed from his home and properly medicated. What if this was one of your children?

This kid didn't slip through the cracks, he was propelled through with rocket boosters.
            That violates his "Merican" rights, and he never did anything wrong, blah blah blah.

Tin foil hats would go insane.

Comment

In schools a lot as a sub, and last week heard an announcement from vice principal over PA for teachers to check their emails immediately -- called for a "reverse evacuation". Since I don't have access to an absent teacher's emails, I found out about the need to secure the room and keep kids in and quiet from another teacher across the hall. Texting the school secretary on my cell brought this response: "Not a drill." So I huddled kids in a corner of the room away from windows and doorway, closed blinds barricaded door with a couple of stacked chairs under handle and looked for a weapon. Fairly heavy stool seemed to be the best option, held by legs and swung like a baseball bat or axe if someone should make it in.

Shortly, an all-clear announcement was made. Later learned that a bank had been robbed a couple of blocks away and suspect was at large. Vice principal told me he was told by district police to call for the "reverse evacuation" -- basically a lock-down.

Those planning security for schools should look at Israel's methods used to stop terrorist attacks at schools and consider the presence of well-trained and armed security and back-ups at campuses.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                That violates his "Merican" rights, and he never did anything wrong, blah blah blah.

Tin foil hats would go insane.
                So I was thinking that one over this morning. If anyone makes a "terroristic threat" which can be a felony why isn't there intervention? As far as I can tell he did commit a crime when he posted the Youtube video, he should of been taken in by authorities to be evaluated.

Comment

This is another classic example of failure of the system.

Comment

So I was thinking that one over this morning. If anyone makes a "terroristic threat" which can be a felony why isn't there intervention? As far as I can tell he did commit a crime when he posted the Youtube video, he should of been taken in by authorities to be evaluated.
                    People use these outlets without any sort of recourse. Oh I was just kidding, or I was just messing around. I didn't mean it like that.

There have been enough of these now for red flags and tendencies to look for. They should ALL be taken seriously and action take AGAINST them at this point.

Comment

I had a good buddy that recently "went crazy" for lack of a better term. He had a good job with a big oil company, graduated college, had a decent family life as a kid, although his parents did divorce when he was in HS. He had been a bit odd, but nothing that bad, nothing violent. Something happened in his personal life and it was like a switch flipped. God was talking to him, the end of the world was coming, etc. Parents and friends try to get him help, but he didnt want the help, no one could force him. He ended up setting fire to a persons home. And now is in custody.

I am stating this because there really wasn't anything that his parents or peers could do to help him. Until he committed a crime. I dont know where you draw the line, but I think we have a mental health problem being called a gun problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        If y'all are so enamored with Japan, put your crap on a boat and set sail.

To hell with Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Just don't go to China, check out the knife/machete attacks going on over there. There are videos from some of these knife attacks at schools.

Comment

Chaos is an ***** to predict.
                          Not EVERYTHING is predictable.
                          Not everything has a reason.
                          Trying to minority report every instance ...is going to be impossible.. there isnt an infrastructure in place that can possibly maintain the amount of data that would predict someone is going to flip his ****, rub himself down in peanut butter, quote Dr.Seuss and set a football field on fire because some jock in middle school picked on him once.
                          Equally there is the factor of some people are evil. They get thrills and satisfaction (whatever form you wish throw in here) out of seeing pain, anquish, shock, hurt, etc in others.
                          equally impossible to predict without having a ton of false positives in your collected grouping.
                          That being said..does this mean we shouldnt try? absolutely 100% NO.

Blaming tools is the easiest thing to do, which is why the weaker minded try it at every turn.
                          Substitution is easy - take away one tool, another will simply be used, and so on, and so on. That wont change.

I dont have an answer, other than to identify the most common thread in that our society has changed. Accountability is nill.
                          Theres ALWAYS some medical reason for someones actions.
                          Theres always some social reason for someones actions.
                          Theres always some excuse for why someone does something.
                          We collectively allow our criminal system , and to some degree our educational systems, to no longer hold kids accountable.. and do not punish our kids in such a way as to be a actual deterrent.
                          We do not teach the simplest of morals anymore...actually, we don't enforce morals anymore.
                          Everything that used to be used to maintain discipline is now against some law or policy.
                          Respect is a right now...something that used to be earned based on behavior.
                          You cant honestly wonder why this **** happens when you throw those basic principles in the trash.
                          jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            Trying to minority report every instance ...is going to be impossible.. there isnt an infrastructure in place that can possibly maintain the amount of data that would predict someone is going to flip his ****, rub himself down in peanut butter, quote Dr.Seuss and set a football field on fire because some jock in middle school picked on him once.
                            Equally there is the factor of some people are evil. They get thrills and satisfaction (whatever form you wish throw in here) out of seeing pain, anquish, shock, hurt, etc in others.
                            equally impossible to predict without having a ton of false positives in your collected grouping.

Blaming tools is the easiest thing to do, which is why the weaker minded try it at every turn.
                            Substitution is easy - take away one tool, another will simply be used, and so on, and so on. That wont change.

I dont have an answer, other than to identify the most common thread in that our society has changed. Accountability is nill.
                            We collectively allow our criminal system , and to some degree our educational systems, to no longer hold kids accountable.. and do not punish our kids in such a way as to be a actual deterrent.
                            We do not teach the simplest of morals anymore...actually, we don't enforce morals anymore.
                            Everything that used to be used to maintain discipline is now against some law or policy.
                            You cant honestly wonder why this **** happens when you throw those basic principles in the trash.
                            jmo.
                            Very well said

Comment

A pattern has developed - a profile for these school shootings has been established.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post

jmo.
                                Nothing more needs to be said

Comment

Working...
                                X