"Bar" Door - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Bar" Door - Help

So the kids playroom in on the other side of this archway. The noise from us to them a vice versa makes it hard to watch TV or them to play games.

I want to add a double swinging self built door in this arch way.

Looking for some advise on door design
    Hinges to use
    How to keep the doors light weight

I have a jigsaw so the arched top is doable. I'm not a master woodworker but I have built alot of things so I should be able to follow along with your advice.

Thanks guys/gals, I will take pics as I build as well.

This photo is when we built the house just to get a visual idea of what I am trying to accomplish.
    Attached Files

That's a pickle.

Move the t-stat and put in a barn door?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
      That's a pickle.

That was my first thought as well.

Comment

That's a pickle.

Like a sliding door? Would be interesting to see how the arch at top is handled

Would you really need to move thermostat? What is clearance on something like that?

Only downside is door has to be pushed partway closed to change temp but when open it hides thermostat, which I think would be a plus

Comment

I think the door will be the easy part. Deciding where to move the thermostat will probably be the challenge.

Comment

That's a pickle.

That would be cool, just not sure how much noise cancellation your gonna get out of that or dbl swing tho. I guess every bit helps! Post pics for sure!

Comment

Problem is the barn door style must stay closed. I have a dog that is lot allowed in the play room or in the kids rooms. I need the doors to "spring shut"

That dog will mark everything in their rooms but never in living areas. Weirdest thing. Beat him so many times he just doesn't care. Worth it in his mind I guess. lol So we keep him locked out of half the house with a child gate that swings closed.

Comment

Dims

35" wide

80.5" at highest point of arch.

Comment

It's not hard to move a thermostat.

Comment

What if you bought a solid wood door that would cover the opening height and width wise then hold against the opening mark and cut with allowance for spring loaded hinges. Just a thought

Comment

Send the kids away...far away.

OK, so that was no help. I was thinking slider also, but I don't know of one that auto shuts. If you do Café Doors with the double action hinges, that will get you the auto close but wont knock out as much noise.

H, some kind of mechanical closure on a heavy glass door, like on space ship movies.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                        What if you bought a solid wood door that would cover the opening height and width wise then hold against the opening mark and cut with allowance for spring loaded hinges. Just a thought
                        This has crossed my mind. Will see if I run across a solid door 35 wide and over 80 tall. The design in it will matter because it will have to be cut in half so limits the doors I could use. Great idea though, not ruling it out.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                          Send the kids away...far away.

OK, so that was no help. I was thinking slider also, but I don't know of one that auto shuts. If you do Café Doors with the double action hinges, that will get you the auto close but wont knock out as much noise.

H, some kind of mechanical closure on a heavy glass door, like on space ship movies.
                          Heavy glass door the auto opens and shuts with motion sensor. I want!!!!!!! lol

Comment

If you build it, build one piece. Cut arch then rip it.

At least that's what I'd do

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

in for ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X