Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    Unclefish keep this thread going we all love it

I have a tall stand of peas/wheat/oats now and want to grain drill lablab and I/C peas into it. What can I spray to kill weeds that are coming up now that won't kill my winter plot?

My thinking is I will keep my current plot as cover for my summer plot to establish and just grain drill into it. Am I thinking correct on that?
    This?

I don't know what you can spray because you have both grasses and broad leaf. You can burn down the whole crop, or mow, when you get ready to replant. But I wouldn't worry too much about winter weeds. I'll be curious how lab lab does for you. I don't think its worth the cost as cowpeas and soy beans just as good. I'd also consider something for the plants to trellis...sunflower, milo[ problem there is you limit herbicide options ] sunn hemp or the like.

Comment

whats the best food plot in central Texas? I planted wheat this year deer loved it but I want to plant a mixture of stuff next year whats the best stuff to get? I get all my seed at the local feed store.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully we will find something soon.

As far as food plots for spring/summer I haven't heard of anything "new" in quite a while. El gato, Drycreek, and many others, grow some unbelievable summer plots with cowpeas and or soybeans. LabLab is expensive and I don't know how much more effective it would be than the proven summer food plot legumes like peas/beans.

BaseKam36 - are these for the fall plots? Any cereal grain like wheat, rye, oats will work great with clover and chicory. Plant all in the fall and they will last until late spring/early summer.

When I get another place I'm going to seriously look into growing alfalfa. Even though it requires close to neutral pH soil, I've read some older articles of how it was one of the best performing cash crops in East Tx of all places. They had good sandy loam soils deep down, amended the soil to raise the pH, added things like boron and other required elements and it grew and grew well on certain sites.

Seems like it would be very close to be a year round crop here depending on variety.

Writer: Robert Burns, (903) 834-6191,rd-burns@tamu.edu Contact: Dr. Vincent Haby, (903) 834-6191,v-haby@tamu.edu OVERTON – About one-third of the acreage in a five-county East Texas area is suitable for alfalfa production, according to a recent review of soil surveys. “This is considerably higher than previously thought by some,” said Dr. Vincent Haby, soil scientist with the Texas... Read More →

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          Thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully we will find something soon.

As far as food plots for spring/summer I haven't heard of anything "new" in quite a while. El gato, Drycreek, and many others, grow some unbelievable summer plots with cowpeas and or soybeans. LabLab is expensive and I don't know how much more effective it would be than the proven summer food plot legumes like peas/beans.

BaseKam36 - are these for the fall plots? Any cereal grain like wheat, rye, oats will work great with clover and chicory. Plant all in the fall and they will last until late spring/early summer.

When I get another place I'm going to seriously look into growing alfalfa. Even though it requires close to neutral pH soil, I've read some older articles of how it was one of the best performing cash crops in East Tx of all places. They had good sandy loam soils deep down, amended the soil to raise the pH, added things like boron and other required elements and it grew and grew well on certain sites.

Seems like it would be very close to be a year round crop here depending on variety.

https://today.agrilife.org/2004/12/2...e-for-alfalfa/

yes sir all for food plots. what kind of oats? I plan on planting red leaf but want to mix it with oats.

I also heard turnips work great for a mixer.

Comment

Originally posted by BaseKAM36 View Post
            yes sir all for food plots. what kind of oats? I plan on planting red leaf but want to mix it with oats.

I also heard turnips work great for a mixer.
            I have used Harrison Oats mainly and the deer liked it. Elbon Rye is my favorite cereal grain...lots of benefits that have been discussed on this thread many times and well as El Gato's great thread. The deer will eat any of cereal grain especially if fertilize it.

I had not had luck with turnips at all. Planted it twice and the deer never touched them.

My theory on food plots is to plant them in the same location(s) every year so the deer get used to associated that area with food. I like experimenting but I also like to stick with something if it works too. For me my mainstay is Elbon Rye, Oats, White Clover, and Chicory for fall plots.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              This?

I don't know what you can spray because you have both grasses and broad leaf. You can burn down the whole crop, or mow, when you get ready to replant. But I wouldn't worry too much about winter weeds. I'll be curious how lab lab does for you. I don't think its worth the cost as cowpeas and soy beans just as good. I'd also consider something for the plants to trellis...sunflower, milo[ problem there is you limit herbicide options ] sunn hemp or the like.
              So Maybe I will grain drill the peas and then shread the winter plot.
              I planted lablab 5-6 years ago half arse and I would say 30-40% of it came up and the deer crushed it.

I was just messing around and didn't do it good at all. What came up took off and did awesome in my sandy soil. Deer ate it down to the stem. The lablab got I would say 3 feet tall and all was left was stems haha

Comment

awesome thanks. what are the best types of oats?

Comment

Originally posted by BaseKAM36 View Post
                  awesome thanks. what are the best types of oats?
                  I use plain seed oats. Bob oats are slightly better but not worth the huge price jump

They are a winter plot

Comment

Read up thru page 11 and this will be my book mark.

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it!

Comment

whats on the fall food plot list this year?

I really enjoy this thread, hopefully you will keep it going

Comment

Well since I sold my place in Jan... I will hunt our small homestead place (45 acres) in Washington County this year.

Planted plots for my dad on this place the last few years. Gonna be the usual....elbon rye, white clover, chicory. Its got way different soils than my place in Burleson County had so gonna do a soil test and then fertilize the helloutofit.

Its been terribly dry there so hopefully we get wet in Sept. Nothing special on camera small bucks and lots of does. This place is not a bedding location and way more open than my old place. The deer travel a long ways on this place but its got a good creek. Some bigger deer live here...dad shot a 140 ten pt several years back and my bro shot a 135 8pt 2 years ago.

Been feeding a roasted soybean/corn mix out of a protein feeder all summer and they are destroying it.

Going elk hunting in NM in Sept so first things first! Fired up about that and will do a live hunt thread for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Whats up Steve. Best of luck on your elk hunt. Definitely missing the farm posts but everybody moves on. Yes its dry and especially in leon county too. Never heard but did you get your tractor going after the flood? Did you sell it with the property? I will say they are tearing up the feed.

Comment

Originally posted by jbhlsu View Post
                            Whats up Steve. Best of luck on your elk hunt. Definitely missing the farm posts but everybody moves on. Yes its dry and especially in leon county too. Never heard but did you get your tractor going after the flood? Did you sell it with the property? I will say they are tearing up the feed.
                            Thanks Joe. Ended up selling it for scrap and parts with a dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang......j/w but why did you sell it?

You put alot of time/money into that place. I can't imagine selling my land I hunt on that I have done likewise too

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                Dang......j/w but why did you sell it?

You put alot of time/money into that place. I can't imagine selling my land I hunt on that I have done likewise too
                                It was almost entirely flood plain and we were never gonna put a house or camp on it.

I got a good offer from my neighbor and the time was right. We had it on a 20 year note and for the monthly payments I was paying...I could have gotten on an awesome lease and also go on a good elk hunt every year. Also it was too small....you could hear the neighbors alot...and that's the one thing that convinced me to sell it. But the deer hunting was fantastic.

Next place will be bigger/better.

Comment

Working...
                                X