Value of Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
    This guys crime; intoxication manslaughter with death, is punishable from 5 years to life if found guilty. 76k bond is normal and reasonable for this offense. Usually the offenders cannot make bail but this guy did. He will be tried and more than likely found guilty since he blew nearly 3x legal.

Then and only then will the officers life value be determined.
    Unless his defense attorney gets him off on a technicality. Prayers for the officer.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
      This happened on Saturday morning right? What was the dude doing drunk already on Saturday morning????? Partied all night and into the next day or what? The insanity never stops. RIP officer Givens. This is just so sad.

Drug addicts and alcoholics live to feed their addiction 24/7 … doesn't matter if it's 8:30 am driving to Church, during lunch break at work, or at 7:15 pm watching their child's t-ball practice. They have zero respect for anyone including the law and innocent by-standers.

The judicial system (most judges) is to soft and unless sentences are more severe, this stuff will continue to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
        This guys crime; intoxication manslaughter with death, is punishable from 5 years to life if found guilty. 76k bond is normal and reasonable for this offense. Usually the offenders cannot make bail but this guy did. He will be tried and more than likely found guilty since he blew nearly 3x legal.

Then and only then will the officers life value be determined.
        Did they upgrade him to murder? Intox manslaughter is 2-20. Admittedly, I haven’t read anything about this other than the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by brysdad View Post
          I guess everyone’s definition of big time is different. Max sentence is 20 years. If the jury rules that a deadly weapon was used (the vehicle) he’d have to serve half before parole eligible. Depending on prior record and good behavior he could be out in 10. I could be wrong but I also understand that if not already a convicted felon then probation could be in play. In theory, dude could serve just one night in jail. Someone let me know if my understanding is wrong.
          I don't have any idea if you are wrong but I dang sure hope you are

20yrs if he had to serve every day would not be enough

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
            Roe vs Wade set the value of life in the USA...and it is cheap.

Prayers for the fallen officers family.
            This right here. Prayers for you sir, your family and the officers family.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              I don't have any idea if you are wrong but I dang sure hope you are

20yrs if he had to serve every day would not be enough
              Governor Perry signed a bill into law that allows a 99 year sentence for anyone convicted of intoxicated manslaughter against a peace officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                Governor Perry signed a bill into law that allows a 99 year sentence for anyone convicted of intoxicated manslaughter against a peace officer.

Things like this are the OPs problem, anyone else gets killed by a drunk the 99 year sentence isn't an option, which basically says one persons life is worth more than another's. One of the main principals of the US is supposed to be equal justice under the law, but it seems that some are more equal than others

Comment

I used to have that attitude.. however my daily routine in life doesnt put me in potential life ending harm for the period of my work hours...
                  it doesnt save lives as part of the job description.
                  it doesnt run towards gun fire or harm as a first response.
                  it doesnt force me to deal with the worst people on their worst days every day.
                  it doesnt force me to be treated like complete **** by people that are easily persuaded and convinced that everything is oppressive, racist, unfair, or unjustified.

So you can say equal.. but we aren't.
                  Not really.

A higher penalty for someone assaulting/Killing a LEO (or any first responder) is perfectly fine to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X