The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Elk Thread

I’ve been poking through this thread lately. Kinda got me thinking about a wapiti and just drawing tags in general. I know nothing about either but I think I’m going to take the plunge. My guide in Alaska swears by Huntin’ fool so I will probably use them. More for guidance than the tag app service. Still going to use the service. My goal is an elk tag in the next 5 years in a solid 300” area and an archery AZ antelope. I’ve always leaned toward LO tags but an elk isn’t a “must have” for me so I don’t want to pay these steep prices folks are asking. I’m 49 and in good shape, but I only have 5 good mountain years left in these knees. Question: should I also put in for a bighorn sheep tag or would I be better off just buying poweball tickets with that money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rcole1310; 06-27-2019, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rcole1310 View Post
      I’ve been poking through this thread lately. Kinda got me thinking about a wapiti and just drawing tags in general. I know nothing about either but I think I’m going to take the plunge. My guide in Alaska swears by Huntin’ fool so I will probably use them. More for guidance than the tag app service. Still going to use the service. My goal is an elk tag in the next 5 years in a solid 300” area and an archery AZ antelope. I’ve always leaned toward LO tags but an elk isn’t a “must have” for me so I don’t want to pay these steep prices folks are asking. I’m 49 and in good shape, but I only have 5 good mountain years left in these knees. Question: should I also put in for a bighorn sheep tag or would I be better off just buying poweball tickets with that money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Technically some of the raffles have better odds then state draws. If you truly want a big horn some of the Idaho Frank church units have decent draw odds, even with a guide they are tough hunts though. Is only apply in state that have a random tag for NR: NM, AZ,NV, Idaho and think Utah. Co technically is random after 3 PP.

I prefer Epic over huntin fool. I called in last Week and Jason(owner) answered and got me on a list for a LO elk tag. Talked to Jason or Adam almost every time I call.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
        Technically some of the raffles have better odds then state draws. If you truly want a big horn some of the Idaho Frank church units have decent draw odds, even with a guide they are tough hunts though. Is only apply in state that have a random tag for NR: NM, AZ,NV, Idaho and think Utah. Co technically is random after 3 PP.

I prefer Epic over huntin fool. I called in last Week and Jason(owner) answered and got me on a list for a LO elk tag. Talked to Jason or Adam almost every time I call.
        Those guys are the reason LO tags are so expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
          Those guys are the reason LO tags are so expensive!
          Lol, New Mexico Residents are the reason why LO tags are so expensive. Straight up legislative voting

If NR hadn’t been capped at 6% LO tags would be a lot cheaper.

Now I’m not saying they haven’t gotten ridiculous but direct from Landowner is ridiculous also same land owner I bought a tag from 5 years ago wanted almost triple here recent comparedto what I paid before and that’s direct no broker, same landowner...

Comment

Looking to upgrade the stock on an old Winchester Model 70 that's going to be my primary rifle for Western hunts. Any recommendations?

Comment

Lol, New Mexico Residents are the reason why LO tags are so expensive. Straight up legislative voting

If NR hadn’t been capped at 6% LO tags would be a lot cheaper.

Now I’m not saying they haven’t gotten ridiculous but direct from Landowner is ridiculous also same land owner I bought a tag from 5 years ago wanted almost triple here recent comparedto what I paid before and that’s direct no broker, same landowner...
              We have been buying LO tags for 15 years, we were paying 2500 for unit 15 tags and 3500 for 16a. About 6 years ago brokers started offering 2x the amount to the landowners. Now unit 15 is going for as high as 8k and 16a 15k. We still buy direct from LO, but the brokers are contacting every LO and trying to buy up everything. Supply and demand, if they can buy them all, they will get whatever the market will bring. It might be my last year to elk hunt unless I draw.

Comment

Anyone else hunting NM Unit 15, Sept 14-24 hunt? I will be hunting solo there this year.

Comment

We have been buying LO tags for 15 years, we were paying 2500 for unit 15 tags and 3500 for 16a. About 6 years ago brokers started offering 2x the amount to the landowners. Now unit 15 is going for as high as 8k and 16a 15k. We still buy direct from LO, but the brokers are contacting every LO and trying to buy up everything. Supply and demand, if they can buy them all, they will get whatever the market will bring. It might be my last year to elk hunt unless I draw.
                  I paid 1300 for my first 45 tag and just quoted 4800 for a Unit 45 tag, from the landowner. Brokers been buying those tags up since the program started. The brokers are still only getting what hunters will pay for them, I’m perfect example I’m determined to hunt 36 for elk this year... and will pay for it.

It’s 100% demand. The supply was NM legislation.

Epic and HF arent going anything to cause it, though. If Anything NM it’s more blame by publishing success odds, and social media/outfitters for posting quality

Comment

I paid 1300 for my first 45 tag and just quoted 4800 for a Unit 45 tag, from the landowner. Brokers been buying those tags up since the program started. The brokers are still only getting what hunters will pay for them, I’m perfect example I’m determined to hunt 36 for elk this year... and will pay for it.

It’s 100% demand. The supply was NM legislation.

Epic and HF arent going anything to cause it, though. If Anything NM it’s more blame by publishing success odds, and social media/outfitters for posting quality
                    There is plenty of blame to go around. The more tags that these companies own, the more they can control the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Stins View Post
                      Anyone else hunting NM Unit 15, Sept 14-24 hunt? I will be hunting solo there this year.
                      I will be there. I have hunted the unit a lot, let me know if I can help.

Comment

There is plenty of blame to go around. The more tags that these companies own, the more they can control the market.
                        I get where you are coming from though. It’s going to get worse when more states lose more OTC units

Comment

It seems like New Zealand is becoming a more popular destination to kill an elk every year. Have to think rising landowner tag prices, coupled with low draw odds for a lot of units, is causing people to shift their focus a bit. Time will tell if the trend holds.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                            It seems like New Zealand is becoming a more popular destination to kill an elk every year. Have to think rising landowner tag prices, coupled with low draw odds for a lot of units, is causing people to shift their focus a bit. Time will tell if the trend holds.
                            After speaking with a couple outfits from NZ and then some NM guided offering land owner tags it’s cheaper to go to NZ for 2 weeks than it is NM on land owner tags for a 5 day hunt. My dad and I are trying to decide do we go drop camp CO next year or NZ for red stag

Comment

I will be there. I have hunted the unit a lot, let me know if I can help.
                              Thanks. I know the area pretty well just wanted to see if anyone else would be in the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

All, here is by back country pack this year minus weapon and consumables. Only thing to add is my emergency kit which usually comes in at about 4 oz.

Comment

Working...
                                X