Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chester update

Hello friends
    We have been putting on the Stick Bow Round Up for 31 years. 29 years at Camp TaKuLa. Needing ideas!
    Looking for any suggestions on improving the shoot. Looking for different ideas, suggestions, anything. I know there has to be something that we can do different. I attend other shoots and always come away with an idea to use. Looking for any criticism, do not want this shoot to become too predictable.
    Thanks in advance.
    Reply here or send me an email at:
    bdecker@nederlandisd.org

Shirts in medium... and maybe a practice range with some bags further away. That's all I got. It was a great shoot and I would have happily kept those two pieces of feedback to myself to avoid sounding nit-picky... but you asked

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

appreciate it if you would do something about that weather

Comment

This is great shoot and you don't need to change anything in my opinion, but I got a few ideas. I don't know how hard it would be.

-design a new buckle
        -advertise as a traditional gear swap meet after dinner on Saturday.
        -aerial novelty shoot with flu-flus
        -try to give away a hunt
        -bring in a shooting coach
        -start earlier on Saturday (beat the heat, and for the hard core guys, pick up score cards on Friday night?)
        -smoker round
        -make it easier to find arrows (mowing, backstop)
        -zipline novelty shoot
        -something for the kids on Saturday afternoon (kids game night)

Comment

I also would like to see the shooting coach added if possible, or just have a sign up list for people looking to get some free/cheap coaching.

Moving targets are always awesome (like a zipline idea above!) I used to go to a 3D shoot in Buna as a kid and they would put a balloon inside a tire and roll it down a hill... you can even fill the balloons with colored corn starch to give a little "poof" when they get hit.

Comment

Novelty shoots, smoker round. Just more shooting. I always liked the either-or shots. And i might get criticism for this, but a couple more of those close shots with more sticks, trees around the score rings. Or combine those with the either or shots like I've seen in vanderpool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bionic target

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

We don't need no stinkin MEDIUM shirts. Well, I guess I could use them to wash my car.

Wayne

Comment

Great ideas, thanks

We do not do shirts every year, but the mediums do sell out
                  Practice range tries to imitate the distances found on the course
                  Every year, prayers to God for good weather
                  New buckle design in works for 35th (I know that is 4 years away)
                  Swap meet is good idea, have had in the past
                  flu-flu's have been done in the past, do not have disc launcher anymore
                  Hunts are given away in raffle when vendors donate
                  Earlier start on Sat is possible along with Friday afternoon scorecard pick up
                  Don't miss
                  zipline shot is out of the question, but would be a fun challenge
                  Kids game night is possible in chapel
                  The skeeter will be back next year along with the carp
                  Novelty shoot has always been around, not many people choose to take part
                  Have shot and liked the bionic target, need target

Again thanks for feedback, have printed ideas and will do our best

Comment

Originally posted by BillDecker View Post
                    Great ideas, thanks

We do not do shirts every year, but the mediums do sell out
                    Practice range tries to imitate the distances found on the course
                    Every year, prayers to God for good weather
                    New buckle design in works for 35th (I know that is 4 years away)
                    Swap meet is good idea, have had in the past
                    flu-flu's have been done in the past, do not have disc launcher anymore
                    Hunts are given away in raffle when vendors donate
                    Earlier start on Sat is possible along with Friday afternoon scorecard pick up
                    Don't miss
                    zipline shot is out of the question, but would be a fun challenge
                    Kids game night is possible in chapel
                    The skeeter will be back next year along with the carp
                    Novelty shoot has always been around, not many people choose to take part
                    Have shot and liked the bionic target, need target

Again thanks for feedback, have printed ideas and will do our best
                    You're bragging now. I am just joking but you and your crew have something to brag about my friend.

Comment

Like always, after I post I think of something.

-The raffle would make a lot more money if presence was not required at the time of raffle... Yes, I have an idea. If raffle item is not picked up by 5 Saturday it goes into Sunday raffle. If item is not picked up by Sunday at 3 it goes to your staff of volunteers.

Comment

I like his idea on the raffle and for the people wanting a coach lessons, I would be willing to volunteer to help coach while up there at certain times. I have a level 2 certification with USA Archery for coaching and plan on getting my level 3 this year.

Comment

New rope every year on the moving target, it can break, lol. That's all I got, Chester is at the top of my favorite 3d shoots every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Everyone knows about Chester. It has been known as one of the best tournaments in Texas. That is why so many people travel so far every year happily. The past few years the weather has been wet. I think that is the main reason for any no shows that would have come otherwise. The course it comfortable to walk when it isn't muddy. Even when it is muddy it isn't bad.
                            I think a fresh "look" to the advertising campaign would do wonders. The tournaments name itself is worth gold. Taking advantage about that in a tasteful or enticing way might be all the tournament needs to breath some fresh breath into an awesome tournament like Chester

One idea I had is that there aren't any tournaments that come to mind that have the 4 round challenge! In other words a "best of tournament" where the total of four rounds are added together and the shooter with the highest cumulative score wins.
                            The Austin tournament used to do that and I LOVED IT. When I first came to that tournament four or five years ago I didn't have a longbow. The idea of a four round course was so enticing to me that I bought a new bow from bob sarrels right after that tournament. The very next year they no longer held the four round challenge. Ever since I've thought Texas needed another like it. Robert told me they are considering bringing it back I don't know, but I would be excited about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Move the practice range to the Ball field, and use some older 3D targets there. and See if anyone will do Seminars as some of the shoots do back East, and as asked Swap Blanket for Saturday after Vendors Close. these are small things Your Group puts up a fine Shoot year after year Thanks for your hard Work,

Comment

Working...
                              X