22-250 Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My go to hog gun is my savage 22-250. I currently shoot Hornady superformance varmint 50gr. I want to try something not with a varmint bullet. I'm thinking either the Federal Nosler Partition or the Barnes TSX. Started shooting the TSX last year in my 7 mag and really liked the performance. Anybody tried either of these in a 22-250. Mainly will be a head shot hog gun 100-200 yards. Thanks

I have tried the Barnes, they shot terrible in my rifle. Apparently the length of the bullet and the twist in the barrel don't match up. Seems to be a somewhat common problem or so I have read.This is with 22-250.They shoot fantastic in all my other larger calibers.

Comment

I was gonna say Barnes because they are deadly when driven fast. But then you said head shots so it really doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        I was gonna say Barnes because they are deadly when driven fast. But then you said head shots so it really doesn’t matter.
        This. The .22-250 has enough powder capacity to drive the TSX really fast. In a .22-250 the 45, 50, and 53 grain bullets will stabilize in a 1:14" twist.

LWD

Comment

I load the 50 gr. TSX for my girlfriends Ruger 22/250. At over 3700 fps its been an accurate and deadly load. She's killed 4 deer and they've all gone nowhere. Killed two javi's with one shot as well. All have been killed out to 150 yards.

Comment

wanna try the barnes and np in my daughters, but right now we are shooting the Federal Fusions.

Comment

Headshots just go buy white box winchester.

Comment

I agree, for head shots, the basic soft point will be fine. I am a fan of the nosler partition for non-head shots though. Great expansion and weight retention. Same with the less expensive Federal Fusion.

Comment

This is what I shot and it puts them down.

Comment

I’ve shot these in the past and have had fabulous results. I was given 5 boxes of Nosler Partitions or I’d still be slinging the PowerPoints.

jrg

Comment

I've shot the 55 and 60 grain nosler partitions for awhile now for white tail and they always get the job done for me. That said all the shots I've taken with it were behind the shoulder but they do some damage that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For deer out of a .223, the Partition is my go to.

For headshots on hogs, the cheapest possible (somewhat)accurate load would be my choice.

Comment

I use the TSX in my 22-250 and has worked well on hogs and a couple does with neck shots. They are very accurate in my Tikka.

Comment

On a cull hunt at my buddys ranch we used a 22-250 and head shot half a dozen deer and it was just cheap white box junk really Off the bench I was holding 1.5 at 100 with them and they refused to group great Drop in premium ammo and the group was just under 1 inch Off the shelf rem 700 .

Hog has a big noggin do not think it will really matter .. Want to make a larger explosive hole run a varmint type bullet tiny in and lime size exit

Comment

Working...
                            X