The value of a picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The value of a picture

How do you go about assigning a monetary value to a picture? What is a picture worth? Obviously if I sell a picture and a professional photographer sells a picture there is a difference because of the name they have made for themselves... but where do you start?

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. That can depend on a lot of things; quality of photo, subject, artistic value, sentimental value, demand for the image, etc...

Could be a lot or not much. I'm certainly no expert in picture values. I've seen snapshots from weddings that would cost thousands from a 'pro'. I've seen work given away that was truly remarkable. Guess it depends on what you want to do with it and how bad somebody wants it. More details would help.

Comment

I realize that was a very vague question and that's pretty much the answer I expected. I just didn't even know where to begin with a value. Take the following picture for example. If an entomologist came to me and said they would like to purchase a copy but wanted me to throw a price out there. As a beginner, do I start at $10 or $50? What do pics typically sell for in something like a magazine? Do they just make an offer?

Fuzzy Fly by cf1154, on Flickr

Comment

Where this question came from.... I'm wanting to try to use a pictures like this one, put a scripture verse on it, make a frame and sell it in a store. I was wondering realistically what i could expect to ask for them. I know the frame, mat, etc will affect the price, but I wanted to get some idea what the picture itself is worth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunrise 1-4-12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	24060783

Comment

Originally posted by AggieHunter View Post
          Where this question came from.... I'm wanting to try to use a pictures like this one, put a scripture verse on it, make a frame and sell it in a store. I was wondering realistically what i could expect to ask for them. I know the frame, mat, etc will affect the price, but I wanted to get some idea what the picture itself is worth.

[ATTACH]323603[/ATTACH]
          If you took that picture, that is absolutely amazing. Very nice work sir. I would try and figure out what you are trying to accomplish with the picture. Is the entomologist going to use in printing an article or giving a lecture to college freshman? Most scientific artists have a sliding scale based on the intended use; i.e. lecture material 100, printed advertising 500, credited journal entry 250, etc.

For the sunset pic try and figure out your intended audience. Is this going in a high end craftshop? Bookstore? Flea market? Design studio? I would think for a print itself ~2x3' would probably fetch around $75-100. Look at ebay and you will see prices all over the place. Get with whomever will be selling for you and get their thoughts. AGain, all about the target demographic. Once you have a name (i.e. Ansel Adams) then you get to set the price at whatever you want

Comment

Thanks, that helps! That was my next step... trying to figure out how/where to sell.

Yes, that is my picture. Thanks, I really appreciate it! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while

Comment

I looked at your whole flickr.

Good stuff!

Blow that sunset up and frame it... find a place that will let you hang it on consignment (I have a buddy that sells stuff that way in a wine bar).

A quality frame job with non-glare glass will run you $300 - $500 depending on what you select. I'd mark it up double what your costs are.

Comment

wow sir thats nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

great picture sir

Comment

Nice pics

Comment

That sunset is amazing

Comment

Very nice pics

Comment

I have no clue....Those are very good,and there's no way I'd sell 'em for 50$,unless I had 3000 more just like 'em!

Comment

Good portfolio.
                            A reality check may be in order at Fred Miranda . A lot of these people are probably not trying to sell anything and yet the quality out there is amazing.
                            You do need to copywrite your material if you happen to catch one everyone just has to have.

Comment

Have you looked into Stock photo houses like istock.com? You're paid a royalty for every download. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X