snake question for upcoming hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snake question for upcoming hunt

Looking at doing an Aoudad hunt in Menard Texas in December. Im an Indiana guy and dont have to worry much about my nemesis, rattle snakes here. We get an occasional one but they are very far and in between here. If I book a hunt in this part of Texas will rattle snakes be an issue then or not?

Now it took me a lot of thinking before I posted this question because I know you Texas guys are laughing at this Hoosier right now lol. Ive been a cop for 16 years and running into a building to get a bad guy with a guy is down right exciting to me, but one dang rattle snake and I just don't want the hassle lol.

Thanks (I appreciate you guys taking it easy on me)

December shouldn't be too bad for snakes. If you want to invest in a pair of snake guards. Not as expensive as a pair of boots. I wear them when wade fishing to avoid sting rays.

Just watch where you are putting your feet and you will be fine.

Comment

What he said ^

Comment

You should be good in December. But I always wear snake boots just for the hell of it

Comment

They protect you from cactus as well.

Gary

Comment

Here ya go, Yankee...kidding. Thanks for taking on the most difficult of professions.

Comment

I hunt in tennis shoes most of time. Sometimes in sandals. Once you learn where to put your feet, the snakes and the thorns aren't usually a problem.

If it is a warm day and the sun is out, the snakes will be out sunning themselves in December. I've killed a few in the winter months. It is the little guys that I worry about. The big ones are usually pretty easy to see.

Comment

Rattlesnakes in tennis shoes! Caught it while maneuvering through cactus!
                Not something I'd recommend to the average yankee on his first trip to Texas though. [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji6]

Gary

Comment

Chad, like several others said, the rattle bugs should not be a real issue in December in Texas but there can always be exceptions. I have killed several in December but they are generally pretty lethargic that time of year. We have a lot of them where I hunt so I just got into the habit of wearing snake boots routinely. They are hot in summer and early season but tolerable. Keep my feet and legs warm during cooler temps and shed cactus and thorns well. You can catch these boots on sale at BPS for about 100 bucks. The ones they used to have were nothing but junk but their newer models have really improved. Mine have never leaked. Suggest side zippers if you get some. It is a real pain in the arse having to lace those things up. Good luck with your Aoudad.

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
                    December shouldn't be too bad for snakes. If you want to invest in a pair of snake guards. Not as expensive as a pair of boots. I wear them when wade fishing to avoid sting rays.

Just watch where you are putting your feet and you will be fine.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/for...ildCatid=30272
                    Never heard of someone using them to avoid string rays. Not a bad idea at all, especially if you wading on the coast...avoid rattlers, string rays and other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X