Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #801
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Sorry guys no pix of lion. It did not stay around long.

Wind is horrendous today. Left unit 1. 1 TBH'er still there in dark grey/black dodge. It is dry out here.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #802
mat_brsob
Nubbin' Buck

I saw quite a bit of deer and nilgai including 2 of the biggest bucks I’ve seen in a long time but never could get in position to get a shot all deer were moving through the open while I was hunting the edge of the brush line
mat_brsob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #803
Whalerboy67
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: South Texas

Looks like it was a tough hunt. Iíll be there for one of the rifle hunts. So if anyone has information they would like to share about shot placement or areas to hunt, send me a message Ďcause I am all ears.
Whalerboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #804
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Thia was the most uneventful hunt at Laguna.
Someone snap a pic if the final board.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #805
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Someone called the feds on my buddies that were duck hunting Because they were mad that their duck blind was set up too close to their pop-up....which was literally on the coast line....
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #806
FlyGuyy
Four Point

I hope this means they will be thick in there for my hunt next week, but it sounds like itís been extremely slow on all three hunts and probably not a good sign of things to come.
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #807
CentralTXHunter
Six Point

They were there. I saw plenty of Nilgai. Just never in range. Also could have killed all the does I wanted, but I wasnít after a doe. Never did see a buck though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CentralTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #808
garrettwgreg
Nubbin' Buck

Definitely a difficult hunt. Had many whitetail in shooting range just never had a chance to pull back on one. Goodluck to everyone in the next hunt.

garrettwgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #809
RobertT84
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Thia was the most uneventful hunt at Laguna.
Someone snap a pic if the final board.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Here was the board at 10am. Sorry for the glare. Can you pm the picture of the entire board from your trip?
Attached Images

RobertT84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #810
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

Man I was hoping to see a lot more on that board. I left after first day. News of bucks fighting at deer camp ate me up so I bailed. Saw a deer and nilgai both sits but closest was around 65 yards. Good luck to the next group.
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #811
Whalerboy67
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Someone called the feds on my buddies that were duck hunting Because they were mad that their duck blind was set up too close to their pop-up....which was literally on the coast line....
I felt like calling the federal officers when I was scouting unit 2 last Thursday evening after a couple of guys told me they saw a guy who looked to be hunting already. I just didnít see him to be able to confirm.
Whalerboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #812
Benson
Four Point

Hunt In: Starr, Brooks, Cameron, Zapata

Spoke to game warden yesterday in the parking lot of unit 1 and he said that the harvest numbers were way down for the weekend. He was asking about some non-hunters in the area as well.

Benson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #813
Huntindad
Pope & Young

the non hunters were 2 girls and a guy. They read the rules, the guy went back and got orange. They either was picked up or turned around. I was told they were headed my way. I rode almost to gate and didn't see them.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:25 PM   #814
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
Man I was hoping to see a lot more on that board. I left after first day. News of bucks fighting at deer camp ate me up so I bailed. Saw a deer and nilgai both sits but closest was around 65 yards. Good luck to the next group.
I was wondering what happened to ya.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:45 AM   #815
jronning77
Four Point

Headed up next week will be there on the 3rd staying at the Adolph park. Hunting solo, if anyone needs help packing one out or gets in a bind feel free to reach out I don't mind helping.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
jronning77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #816
smende1
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jronning77 View Post
Headed up next week will be there on the 3rd staying at the Adolph park. Hunting solo, if anyone needs help packing one out or gets in a bind feel free to reach out I don't mind helping.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
i'm solo as well. feel free to reach out
smende1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #817
Green feathers
Nubbin' Buck

What was final count from the hunt? Should have been good yesterday evening.
Green feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #818
RobertT84
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green feathers View Post
What was final count from the hunt? Should have been good yesterday evening.
When I left at 10am, I didn't see a single other vehicle in the main refuge. Only 3 or 4 trucks were at unit #1. Overall, everyone I talked to was very disappointed at the lack of game sightings. I didn't see any scrapes until the last day. Hopefully, they will be moving for the next group. Seemed like they were holding up alot closer to the main road than expected. We spent the first couple days riding into unit 3 and then realized there were more animals being seen in 8 close to the roads.
RobertT84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2020, 06:38 AM   #819
MMcCall
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Guadalupe County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
I felt like calling the federal officers when I was scouting unit 2 last Thursday evening after a couple of guys told me they saw a guy who looked to be hunting already. I just didnít see him to be able to confirm.

We saw this guy. At 5pm on Thursday he was walking the brush in full camo with an arrow knocked.

MMcCall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2020, 06:56 AM   #820
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Looks like they will be getting some rain to muddy things up before our hunt next week, but those daytime/nighttime temps look amazing. Will be nice to not be pouring sweat out just standing still down there!
Old 11-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #821
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Old 11-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #822
ppeeks59
Four Point

Hunted the 11/13-17 hunt, all in unit 1, I'm fairly new at this, was set up wrong. Saw a big cow and a big hog, the cow running and out of range, the big hog closer to a big gator than to me, no chance of winning that fight so I passed on the shot. Did see this ocelot, though, so a very cool thing during a hunt during which the temperature was WAY TOO HIGH for animals to be moving around.

https://imgur.com/u2UhsjP
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #823
HogStalker
Six Point

Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeeks59 View Post
Hunted the 11/13-17 hunt, all in unit 1, I'm fairly new at this, was set up wrong. Saw a big cow and a big hog, the cow running and out of range, the big hog closer to a big gator than to me, no chance of winning that fight so I passed on the shot. Did see this ocelot, though, so a very cool thing during a hunt during which the temperature was WAY TOO HIGH for animals to be moving around.

Looks like a bobcat to me.
HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #824
BigRed323
Ten Point

Definitely a bobcat.

Even though the refuge makes it sound like it is loaded with ocelots, it is super rare to see them. They live in very specific locations and are primarily seen at night. I think we see a lot of bobcats that can have a more distinct circular pattern causing the confusion every year.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #825
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogStalker View Post
Looks like a bobcat to me.
Sure, you can argue with the USFWS biologist who confirmed the ID. Long tail, distinctive and characteristic white marks on back of ears (not visible in this photo). My word of advice to you: don't enter a bobcat vs. ocelot ID contest. And, don't shoot a cat thinking it is a bobcat unless you want your own striped clothing holiday and ginormous fine, courtesy of The Man.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #826
ppeeks59
Four Point

The ocelots are out and about in daylight right now because they are breeding, which is why Unit 6 is closed for the third hunt, according to same USFWS biologist.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #827
HogStalker
Six Point

Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County

Quote:
Sure, you can argue with the USFWS biologist who confirmed the ID. Long tail, distinctive and characteristic white marks on back of ears (not visible in this photo). My word of advice to you: don't enter a bobcat vs. ocelot ID contest. And, don't shoot a cat thinking it is a bobcat unless you want your own striped clothing holiday and ginormous fine, courtesy of The Man.

Whatever you say. Those thick leg stripes donít look right, nor do the pointy ears, but itís a crappy picture so you could definitely be right. I canít even tell if itís coming or going.
HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #828
JackRyan
Six Point

Quote:

Man, thatís awesome! Seeing an ocelot would be incredible!
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2020, 07:33 PM   #829
BigRed323
Ten Point

Quote:
Actual question, did they confirm it based off the picture you posted or based off of your own description of the animal?
Old 11-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #830
Gopher
Spike

Hunt In: San Saba CO, Wisconsin, Illinois, Canada, Any TPW drawn hunt

Quote:

Congratulations on seeing an Ocelot. You had a paid professional tell you it is what it is so go with that. Keep coming down here for this hunt and you will figure it out as far as taking an animal. Good luck to those coming for the rest of this seasons hunts. I hope to be back again next season.

Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #831
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Ok boys, I'm committed. Will call Adolf Park tomorrow or Monday and hopefully get a spot. Do they have showers?

Solo here so hot me up at camp.

Justin Shelton
512sixsix1eight017
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #832
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Ok boys, I'm committed. Will call Adolf Park tomorrow or Monday and hopefully get a spot. Do they have showers?

Justin Shelton
512sixsix1eight017

Yes. Itís not an ideal set up, but better than jumping in a lake.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #833
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post

Justin Shelton
512sixsix1eight017
check with Port Isla Inn in port isabel. Nice place for the cost(cheap). It is on the outer edge of town across from the H.E.B.

I will be staying there in January for my rifle hunt at Laguna Atascosa.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #834
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuyy View Post
Yes. Itís not an ideal set up, but better than jumping in a lake.

Not by much. That park sucks. I brought meat to cook and didnít realize you couldnít have a fire unless it was in a bbq pit or some kind of container. It might be more sanitary to jump in the water and soap up than use those showers they have

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #835
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Actual question, did they confirm it based off the picture you posted or based off of your own description of the animal?
The three pictures I sent them -- to me, I couldn't really tell any difference between them, to tell the truth.

The face is much narrower than that of a bobcat. Obviously a very long tail is different, too, as is the pattern on the fur (apparently). I described the white spots on the ears, no pic.

USFWS requests all possible ocelot sightings to be reported, by the way.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #836
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogStalker View Post
Whatever you say. Those thick leg stripes donít look right, nor do the pointy ears, but itís a crappy picture so you could definitely be right. I canít even tell if itís coming or going.
I know -- I was pretty shocked to see it, and I think it was just as shocked to see me. I've seen plenty of bobcats (in fact, saw one a couple of days later) and was pretty sure I wasn't looking at a bobcat. Getting my phone out quickly enough without moving or startling it so I could take a few pics was tough. I didn't have time to get better photos -- it bounced off the road back into the brush in seconds.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #837
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Man this is going to be a long week. Cant wait to get back out there!
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 10:03 PM   #838
TexasEx57
Four Point

I was out there with my buddy on 11/20 hunt. My buddy got a doe in the first day around 10am. Popped out of the brush into a clearing right in front of my buddy as if something had bumped but proceeded to feed as normal. He drew and nailed her. She made it back to the brush where she came from, maybe made it 30 yds before expiring. I saw a total of 4 bulls and 1 cow. I took a shot at a bull at 70 yds and missed. It was my first time hunting out there and wasnt sure what to expect until i did the scouting trip in September. I got lots of tips on here and in previous posts so thank you all for those. I think overall it was a very successful trip even though i didnít get an animal, i am confident i can find them again next time. I know where they live.

TexasEx57 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM   #839
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Successful trip

TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #840
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEx57 View Post
I was out there with my buddy on 11/20 hunt. My buddy got a doe in the first day around 10am. Popped out of the brush into a clearing right in front of my buddy as if something had bumped but proceeded to feed as normal. He drew and nailed her. She made it back to the brush where she came from, maybe made it 30 yds before expiring. I saw a total of 4 bulls and 1 cow. I took a shot at a bull at 70 yds and missed. It was my first time hunting out there and wasnt sure what to expect until i did the scouting trip in September. I got lots of tips on here and in previous posts so thank you all for those. I think overall it was a very successful trip even though i didnít get an animal, i am confident i can find them again next time. I know where they live.

Nice job! Iíve had better luck finding cows and calves, more than I can count; but Iíve only found 2 mature bulls and one immature bull in two different hunts. Hoping this week Iíll have better luck locating some grey bodied critters!
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #841
NWernig
Four Point

Hunt In: Here and there

Thursday can't get here soon enough. Going to be different year for us, we normaly hunt unit 6... but since it's closed, the scouting day is going to be a lot more important this go round
NWernig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM   #842
NeedmoreOutdoor
Four Point

Hunt In: South East Texas and the Texas Hill Country

For everyone that has used a bike for this hunt, what type of tire liners are you all using? Iím planning on using slime tubes but I have read here on TBH, that it will not be enough due to the thorns. Just trying to do some last minute preparation for my hunt this week.

NeedmoreOutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #843
piercebronkite
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas, West Texas, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedmoreOutdoor View Post
For everyone that has used a bike for this hunt, what type of tire liners are you all using? Iím planning on using slime tubes but I have read here on TBH, that it will not be enough due to the thorns. Just trying to do some last minute preparation for my hunt this week.

I just used slime tires and changed two flats my entire time there. Just get yourself some tire spoons, some air and some spares. Changing a bike tire is super fast and easy.
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #844
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM   #845
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA

I'll be there for this last archery hunt this week. Were we supposed to receive an email from the hunt coordinator?

Last edited by TXFireFighter; Yesterday at 07:22 PM.
TXFireFighter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #846
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedmoreOutdoor View Post

I added these from Amazon. They worked great
TXFireFighter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top