No announcement yet.

Figure 6 hog trap. Does it really work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built a figure 6 several years ago it is ad out 36' in diameter with a hanging feeder inside.
    Most of the time I wire the pen open so the hogs can come and go with the feeder running year round the hogs can come and go until I am ready to trap some. The feeder spins most of the corn inside the pen / trap the corn outside helps bait them in. The deer still jump in and out to feed.

Comment

Originally posted by JKS View Post
      What if it's a big-un?
      AC is a pretty big guy, he Indian leg wrestles the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
        AC is a pretty big guy, he Indian leg wrestles the big ones.

Only the sows!

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
          Big catch pole

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            I don't kill the pigs while they are inside the trap. I did that once and never caught another one. If you take them out alive hogs will keep coming back. I use a catch pole and get them out one at a time.
            Got a pic of the catch poles you use?

Comment

we shoot them right in the trap, give it a couple of weeks and the pigs are back in it,

Comment

Never used the 6 trap, but I've done the heart shaped. Same principle, but you turn the ends in at the top of the trap to form a chute. I usually just put a stake above " hog high " with a string on it and run the string across the back of the trap. Hogs hit the string, stake pops out, hogs are caught ! I have had hogs push through after it was sprung, but just a few. I like a 5' high by 8' wide guillotine door better. I leave a panel out on back until the hogs feel comfortable, then put it up and set the trigger. Next time I set it up, I'm gonna paint that one panel black, it should confuse them even more. Maybe.....

Comment

I stumbled across one of these at Ft. Benning one time. It was close to if not more than 20 yards across. Got to talk to the biologist once and they said they will catch 20-30 pigs at once and the idea is to catch the entire sounder. Their thinking was if they caught the entire sounder then the pigs never learned that it was a trap and they could keep trapping.

Comment

Figure 6 hog trap. Does it really work?

Definitely work. I used 3 panels and trees to make mine. We have caught several in our trap.

Last edited by salth2o; 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
                      Got a pic of the catch poles you use?

No but you can easily make one with a pvc pipe and cable. Just make a noose on one end and a handle to hold the cable. Put it around the hogs head and pull the noose tight. Then depending on the size of the hog you lift it out of the pen or have someone get in and hog tie it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        How big should they be? I've got a small one that I trapped 2 sows in and nothing after that. Mine is maybe 25' across.

The trap in my pics above is 3 panels and probably only 15-18 feet across. I have caught over 100 pigs with this trap and 12 at one time. I have shot pigs in the trap many times, never moved it, let it rest awhile, and trapped again when baited with diesel corn.

Comment

I'm gonna give it a try soon. Thanks for the info and pictures.

Comment

I never had luck...

Comment

Originally posted by mason bowhunter View Post
                              heres one we built with a trampoline frame and made our own gates. Hope video works.

http://vid931.photobucket.com/albums...psaa9521af.mp4

I like your trap, but I'm not seeing the purpose of the trampoline. If it wasn't in there you would still have the trap. What is the added benefit of the trampoline frame?

Comment

Working...
                              X