Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling for support from TBOT (HB-1334)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling for support from TBOT (HB-1334)...

Anyone considering what affect the crossbow's introduction could/would have on the traditional bowhunting community and the businesses supported by it? I think it could/will affect the future of the Texas traditional archery more than any other part of our sport...shame with all the traditional heritage here.

I want to introduce a concept here similar to reverse-prejudice, there was a form of "reverse-elitism" that went on for many years when the compound bow was introduced that painted traditional bowhunters in a negative light as unethical hunters who didn't deserve to be in the field. For many years, those who chose to continue to hunt with longbows and recurves rather than the new "superior weapon" were looked down upon by their own brothers and labelled at unfit to represent bowhunters...though fewer, many still express these feelings today.

During these years, Black Widow (the business) was practically given away to an employee due to lack of sales. AMF shot down Wing Archery and Bob Lee's legacy was nearly cut short there. Any company that didn't immediately jump into the compound production race either closed down or suffered. Over the years we have learned to get along and work together and in fact traditional archery has been growing again in recent times...let's work to preserve that trend not move backwards.

This form of 'reverse elitism' by those supporting this "superior weapon" has already reared it's ugly head with the unfounded attack on the ethics of a traditional bowhunter by a crossbow advocate. If the crossbow is allowed into the Archery Season, that won't be the last time traditional bowhunters are attacked by those shooting better "bows". I hope that the traditional bowhunting community and the officers of TBOT will join with us to fight this legislation next Tuesday, March 20th in Austin.
    Last edited by tinman; 03-14-2007, 06:00 AM.

Well said Joey. Would this be a good time to maybe support mandatory Bow Hunters education?

Comment

Can you post the time and place. By the way this Bill is written its clear it was written by the crossbow manufacturers to push the crossbow into the archery only season.

Comment

I agree Joey. Funny how folks don't even consider the traditional crowd when these things come up and then when things don't go so well, they point the finger at the traditional community and accuse them of not doing enough.

Now, if we could figure out a way to keep Tomme and Thumper seperated, we might get something accomplished.

Comment

Would this be a good time to maybe support mandatory Bow Hunters education?
          Some will be calling for madatory IBEP certification IF the crossbow Bill is passed. I understand the concerns that could warrant that but honestly hesitate to jump onboard as this would effectively raise the minimum age to bowhunt to 12 years old in Texas (not eligable for IBEP certification any younger). I think such a limitation on youth would be equally tragic for bowhunting's future in today's social climate. Lots of pressure on kids today, by 12 years old we're lucky if they're talking to us much less willing to sit in a 4' X 4' box with us for the weekend!

Thumper, the info is posted on the LSBA website. ...e-mail coming, sir.

Now, if we could figure out a way to keep Tomme and Thumper seperated, we might get something accomplished.
          That's funny right there...
          Last edited by tinman; 03-14-2007, 06:58 PM.

Comment

If Tomme would fix the bowfishing-ban I'd give him a hug and a kiss......

Comment

Something to think about, the way this law is written it sounds like it would be easy to replace the Archery Stamp with a Crossbow Stamp. With the Archery Stamp buried inside the Combo it shows no real monetary gain for TPWD coming from bowhunters.

It might be in our best interests to pull the Archery Stamp out on the combo license and have it stand alone as a revenue source for TPWD. An increase in the cost of the stamp probably would go a long way towards protecting bowhunters.

Comment

Tomme, wave your magic wand. I've GOTTA see this!!!!!

Comment

Let me play devils advocate here, do you think it's wise to fight to keep a certain type of equipment out of the woods? I don't own a crossbow and do not plan to get one. I am thinking of hunting as a whole, yes we would have more Yahoo's in the woods but I don't think it would be more than a couple years. Crossbow are still limited to 40 yards and if your thinking of the deer herd, it could use some thinning in this state. The more bow hunters we have the stronger we are when we really need to fight for something. Besides once people get in the bow frame of mind who knows they may change to a more chalenging piece of equipment, I started with a compound, now I shoot a recurve and I'm looking at getting a long bow.
                  Just some food for thought.

Comment

bentstk,
                    I think one of the things that's hurt hunting the most in this state is the cost of hunting more than the weapons used. Its too difficult to find a place to hunt, the places that are usually available are usually priced too high, and there are already too many people contending for those places as it is. As for public land? Its already a bit too crowded and/or getting on it to hunt is too much of a hassel, and/or too far to drive.

Take this from a guy who grew up in "free range" country before leases though. (Still pining the good ol' days...)

I don't think the crossbow will help hunting at all in this or any other state.

Comment

Losthawg, I'm thinking the only people who will use the crossbow are gun hunters who want meat and think they can get another 30 days of hunting in. I would be suprised to find more people starting to hunt just because they can use a crossbow. I agree leases are getting out hand on price, I once said I would never pay more than a grand for a lease, this year I'm paying almost three. We do have exotics though!

Comment

Ouch, 3 huh?

I also started with a compound. It didn't agree with me.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman View Post
                          Some will be calling for madatory IBEP certification IF the crossbow Bill is passed. I understand the concerns that could warrant that but honestly hesitate to jump onboard as this would effectively raise the minimum age to bowhunt to 12 years old in Texas (not eligable for IBEP certification any younger). I think such a limitation on youth would be equally tragic for bowhunting's future in today's social climate. Lots of pressure on kids today, by 12 years old we're lucky if they're talking to us much less willing to sit in a 4' X 4' box with us for the weekend!

The only reason I bring it up is because we want to change the current rules and preserve our archery only season, but nobody seems to want to support bowhunters education as a way to help out our cause. Sure we have people taking the class and people highly recommend it, but let's be honest most archers haven't taken this course. This course only becomes important when the archer wants to hunt Hagerman (no deer there ) or the archer is going to another state that requires it. I think we need to show TPWD and our legislators that we are willing give and take in this situation.

Comment

2050z The only problem I have with the IBEP is it should be free where we could teach the class to high school kids. If it was i would be running all over the state teaching it. it is hard enough to convince a bunch of teenaged boys to give up a weekend without telling them it is gona cost $15.00
                            Last edited by Buff; 03-15-2007, 07:23 AM.

Comment

It might be in our best interests to pull the Archery Stamp out on the combo license and have it stand alone as a revenue source for TPWD. An increase in the cost of the stamp probably would go a long way towards protecting bowhunters.
                              Thumper, you should get with the TBoT staff and spearhead this. It'd give us TBoTers a little more credibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X