Done with mechanical broadhead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done with mechanical broadhead!

I shot a hog a few nights ago, broad side @ 20yards. Good placement, maybe half penetration. Using a mechanical! Never found it, no blood obviously.
    Went this evening, similar scenario on placement, distance. Only difference was I used a fixed blade stinger Buzzcut. Complete pass through, great blood trail. Arrow and pig recovered! Broadhead had no damage. I've had similar issues over the years, but kept trying them because I've always felt like they created a bigger hole. Decided they're just not happening for me.

Ok...
    I will keep using them with great success.

Comment

Likely need a heavier arrow.

Comment

Probably didn’t hit the first one where you thought. I’ve got news for you. Half arrow of penetration will kill a **** moose lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is something going on besides the broad head.

What poundage/arrow weight are you using?

Comment

I don't think there is any other issue going on other than I don't think it deployed. Shooting 70lbs, 20 yards!
            I know the pig is dead, I know half penetration will still kill. But it lacks in leaving a blood trail!
            I know exactly where I hit it. Same place I hit the one tonight. I've shot plenty of animals over the years, with different bows, arrows, heads etc. I just don't trust them anymore. The animals I have killed w a mech when it worked were great. Huge channel, entrance and exit. What else could it be, other than it didn't open? I'm shooting the same setup I've been using for years. Broadheads are the only things I've changed.

Comment

what broadhead was it

Comment

Outside looking in as I am relatively new to bowhunting. A lot of things can go wrong... Why add to the list with a mechanical not deploying? Just seems like you have better odds of a clean kill with a fixed blade. I doubt I ever go to a mechanical bh. No judgment on anyone that does, just not for me/my opinion.

Comment

I’ve had great luck with Magnus Buzzcuts and regular. Some good blood 🩸 trails some poor. Fortunately, heard or saw the vast majority fall. I like their 125s. 2 holes for the win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been an avid mechanical BH guy since I started. I figured that a bigger hole will kill quicker and leave a better blood trail. That said, within the last few years I’ve pretty much switched to fixed blades. I really haven’t had any issues but like said above, why would you add one more thing that could possibly go wrong??

That, and many outfitters won’t allow you to hunt with them... if that tells you anything and I bet they’ve killed and guided for more hunts than a lot of us combined!

Comment

I agree, why add another variable. I was using a Swhacker btw for whoever asked.
                      I'm almost certain it didn't deploy. I didn't realize some outfitters didn't allow them, that does say a lot. Obviously they've encountered issues w lost animals.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                        I agree, why add another variable. I was using a Swhacker btw for whoever asked.
                        I'm almost certain it didn't deploy. I didn't realize some outfitters didn't allow them, that does say a lot. Obviously they've encountered issues w lost animals.
                        I use to be a huge rage fan until I had one break. Shoot Grim Reapers now. Way superior made mechanical.

Comment

I know this for a fact with mechanicals, a poorly tuned bow will cause all sorts of issues when shooting mechanicals. I don’t shoot it anymore but The Reezen 7.0 I have had warped limbs from the get go and that bow was never able to get tuned right and I would get penetration issues especially on hogs with mechanicals. The limbs were finally fixed a couple years ago and it was like a different bow but never shot an animal with it after that. My Obsession DEFCON6 is tuned great and will zip grim reapers through pigs no problem.

Not assuming this is your issue, but if your arrow doesn’t fly true and you get a spiral flight or a offset to one side like I did, your broadhead won’t deploy like it’s supposed to. Just an observation I got over the years with a poor tuned bow and mechanicals.

Comment

I shoot both fixed and mechanical. In my opinion there are several mechanicals that are faulty. There is only a couple I’ll shoot. But it’s nice to just screw them on and not have to tune them like most fixed heads. My main head now is a grim reaper hybrid, best of both worlds!

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                              I shot a hog a few nights ago, broad side @ 20yards. Good placement, maybe half penetration. Using a mechanical! Never found it, no blood obviously.

Went this evening, similar scenario on placement, distance. Only difference was I used a fixed blade stinger Buzzcut. Complete pass through, great blood trail. Arrow and pig recovered! Broadhead had no damage. I've had similar issues over the years, but kept trying them because I've always felt like they created a bigger hole. Decided they're just not happening for me.
                              I feel your pain as I use to swear by rage and then had to hypodermics not open on axis. Found one and not so lucky on other. I then was turned on too grave digger broadheads, its best of both worlds, fixed in front and mechanical in rear, they have been amazing and have been extremely lucky with a couple where I blew the shot and found dead deer near by. No doubt its one of the best on the market. Everyone I have let use them have now switched. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X