Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    I mix it about 1-4 vanilla to water in a spray bottle. I sometimes put a little in a bucket of corn but usually just pour a bag of corn on the ground and spray it. I ALWAYS spray myself down good before walking in though.

Thanks for the tip

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      ArrowHead Site Buck
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I killed this buck at our excavation site here in Houston co. He was born and raised on DCNF but i shot him on our private property. Here is the story.

Our dig site is about 15 acres and is bordered by land controlled by friends where i could trail a deer if needed. Anyway, Deer have readily adjusted to me being up there digging and in the last couple of weeks, some large horn rubs and huge tracks have shown up. Because of the way we cleared the land and the creek channel, there is a perfect funnel in a big thicket right behind the sifter. Friday, i threw up a popup and a bag of corn right where he was traveling anyway. The setup was perfect. I could get in and out without being seen and there was no way he could wind me on a North wind. I usually put up a camera but just didnt do it this time so i had no idea what he looked like.
      I checked it yesterday morning and all the corn was gone and deer crap everywhere. I recorned it and got out. About 330 I sneaked back in there like a mouse. Sat there till 600 without seeing anything. I knew where he had to come from and was watching.
      My heart jumped at a glimps of motion between the young pines and i got my binos up. I caught him crossing a little opening and knew instantly he was a shooter. I had a lane cleared between two rows of pines and he cam into it about 40yds and turned directly toward me. He walked to the pile of corn at 26yds and thats where he ate for the next 40 minutes without turning once! He was obviously mature and the longer i looked at those long tines the worse i wanted to whack him. He looked like a dang donkey standing there! Now I have set a standard for myself to hunt a 150 plus deer every year and have pulled off 4 in the last 5 years. I knew he wasnt 150 but a mature buck like this that was born and raised in the DCNF is a trophy to me. Besides...this was just a BONUS spot!

Back to the story, I was about worn out by 6:50 and it was starting to get dark in those pines. He finally turned slightly to the right and curved his body. That was enough waiting. I shot him slightly quartering and thought I saw the arrow disappear into him right in front of the shoulder. He blew out and I gave him a little while before sneaking out. I wanted to look but decided to go home and eat supper, besides ,I was gonna need some help dragging!

After supper my brother and BIL Sam went back with me. No blood or arrow! We worked the trail the way he went for almost an hour on hands and knees. I was sick. Then about 60yds out Sam found the arrow. Penetration up to the fletching and lung bubbles on it. From there it was just pindrops for the next hour and we hadnt moved it but about 75 more yds and we made a loose.. My brother found a spot of blood and i went to him. There was lung blood blown all over some brush and I knew he was down. I shined my light around and caught an eye out in the brush. It wasnt moving or blinking so i eased over there. SHAZAAAAAM! there he lay. The deer went about 200yds. I smoked both lungs but the quartering to me shot didnt get an exit. I took a moment to thank my helpers and the GOOD LORD for his blessings! Im sure there have been thousands of archers before me that gave thanks for an animal on this very site!

The 7.5 year old 8pt was only 15 2/8 inside but both g2s were over 12 inches and nice 3s as well. He ended up just North of 137. The amazing thing about this deer is he had adjusted to me digging there for many hours per day which gave me the opportunity to sneak just inside his core area and take him home.

Comment

ArrowHead Site Buck

I killed this buck at our excavation site here in Houston co. He was born and raised on DCNF but i shot him on our private property. Here is the story.

Our dig site is about 15 acres and is bordered by land controlled by friends where i could trail a deer if needed. Anyway, Deer have readily adjusted to me being up there digging and in the last couple of weeks, some large horn rubs and huge tracks have shown up. Because of the way we cleared the land and the creek channel, there is a perfect funnel in a big thicket right behind the sifter. Friday, i threw up a popup and a bag of corn right where he was traveling anyway. The setup was perfect. I could get in and out without being seen and there was no way he could wind me on a North wind. I usually put up a camera but just didnt do it this time so i had no idea what he looked like.

I checked it yesterday morning and all the corn was gone and deer crap everywhere. I recorned it and got out. About 330 I sneaked back in there like a mouse. Sat there till 600 without seeing anything. I knew where he had to come from and was watching.

My heart jumped at a glimps of motion between the young pines and i got my binos up. I caught him crossing a little opening and knew instantly he was a shooter. I had a lane cleared between two rows of pines and he cam into it about 40yds and turned directly toward me. He walked to the pile of corn at 26yds and thats where he ate for the next 40 minutes without turning once! He was obviously mature and the longer i looked at those long tines the worse i wanted to whack him. He looked like a dang donkey standing there! Now I have set a standard for myself to hunt a 150 plus deer every year and have pulled off 4 in the last 5 years. I knew he wasnt 150 but a mature buck like this that was born and raised in the DCNF is a trophy to me. Besides...this was just a BONUS spot!

Back to the story, I was about worn out by 6:50 and it was starting to get dark in those pines. He finally turned slightly to the right and curved his body. That was enough waiting. I shot him slightly quartering and thought I saw the arrow disappear into him right in front of the shoulder. He blew out and I gave him a little while before sneaking out. I wanted to look but decided to go home and eat supper, besides ,I was gonna need some help dragging!

After supper my brother and BIL Sam went back with me. No blood or arrow! We worked the trail the way he went for almost an hour on hands and knees. I was sick. Then about 60yds out Sam found the arrow. Penetration up to the fletching and lung bubbles on it. From there it was just pindrops for the next hour and we hadnt moved it but about 75 more yds and we made a loose.. My brother found a spot of blood and i went to him. There was lung blood blown all over some brush and I knew he was down. I shined my light around and caught an eye out in the brush. It wasnt moving or blinking so i eased over there. SHAZAAAAAM! there he lay. The deer went about 200yds. I smoked both lungs but the quartering to me shot didnt get an exit. I took a moment to thank my helpers and the GOOD LORD for his blessings! Im sure there have been thousands of archers before me that gave thanks for an animal on this very site!

The 7.5 year old 8pt was only 15 2/8 inside but both g2s were over 12 inches and nice 3s as well. He ended up just North of 137. The amazing thing about this deer is he had adjusted to me digging there for many hours per day which gave me the opportunity to sneak just inside his core area and take him home.

This is a lesson that i am hoping to put to use this season. I live on and hunt a small parcel of land, approximately 47 acres. We own cows and run the adjacent 50 acres next door that i can hunt as well. The neighbor to the west has 400 acres of solid woods and does not hunt, only takes pictures. The neighbor the the north hunts ALOT on 280 acres. If its brown, its down for them.
        And the neighbor to the east and south do not live out here or hunt. However, i am always out in the pasture doing something. Cutting hay, running tractors, clearing brush, typical farm life. Im out there at least 4-5 times a week. And the deer get used to seeing me and farm equipment. My wife took a good buck a couple years ago by tricking him. He was bedding VERY close to the pasture and would see us walking to the stand. So one day, i dropped my wife off by using the Kabota and he never thought twice. She killed him 10 minutes after i drove off. And ever since the antler restrictions took effect in Walker county, we have seen an increase in buck numbers and antler size, so im pretty excited about this year even though we are rebuilding 2000 feet of fence and building cattle pens. I did see a good buck saturday that is looking promising.

Comment

Wahhooooooo! Haven't even read it yet but I got too excited and jumped the gun!! Now back to the top.

Comment

I love this thread!! Thanks for sharing GarGuy!

Comment

ArrowHead Site Buck

I've been pretty fortunate to hunt some pretty cool places, but that spot there is something special! I saw somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 deer the day I hunted there I think? All of them where, what 50 yards Steve, from the dig site; yet none of them would be visible from the dig site itself.

Comment

ArrowHead Site Buck
                Enjoyed it Steve. Read it twice. Thanks for the entertainment and education

Comment

Great story! Got any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                    Great story! Got any pics?

Comment

That dude has some tines on him! Out-smartin a buck that has eluded them notorious east Texas "asphalt sendero" hunting good ol boys for 7.5 years into bow range is a heck of an accomplishment.

Comment

Woohoo, another GarGuy story!!! Man your stories are both informative and entertaining. Keep them coming...

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Just read the whole thread! Its been a slow day! Most definitely going to use these tactics on the deer lease this year..(6K acres with about 60-70 Members. Everyone rides around all the time in razors 4 wheelers etc. and most people gun hunt. Which im thinking will make the club archery stands a sanctuary! We shall see, excited for deer season is an understatement!!

Comment

Old Timer

For several years i had a huge ten pt with split brows and kickers off both g2s. He was on the hit list but we just never got it done. At 8 or 9 years old, he just quit showing up on camera and i figured he was dead. The day before rifle season, my Dad and I were driving down a forestry road just checking out the hunters that were out scouting the DCNF. There were people everywhere we looked. We drove around untill about noon and headed home. about 3/4 mile from one of my santuaries, a big buck jumped right out i the road. I immediately recognized the deer even though he had gone down hill a little.
                              I knew he wouldnt have been out like that with all the people in the woods unless someone spooked him bad. I told dad, "He knows where the santuary is and thats where hes headed". Now i had not seen nor had pics of him in two years but i grabbed a bag of corn and put it out in one of my little lanes right in the edge of my santuary and sprayed it down good. The next morning , i sat another stand with my daughter holding a rifle and we passed a couple of shooters but not what she was looking for. That evening, i planned to sit with her again but I had been thinking about taht old deer all day. Instead of sitting with her, i got her set up and sneaked in behind some youpons with a camp stool situated where i could see the edge of the santuary and corn pile.

At 330 pm I got a txt from my daughter that she had three bucks on her corn already. When i looked back up from reading , there was a lone doe in my corn. She was reallyinterested in something back in the thicket and could barely eat. At 405pm, she bolted out and in walked the old ten. I quickly killed him. In seconds, my daughter txt and asked if that was me taht shot. I affirmed that it was and she txt back,"ME NEXT". While i was reading it, i heard her shoot. She killed a nice 5.5 year old 11pt that she had passed that morning even though i gave her the go ahead on him.

When i dressed the old geezer, I found a 100gr Muzzy between his shoulder and ribs that was totally encased in gristle. It had about 4 inches of arrow on it that went back into his chest cavity. Amazingly, he had been shot several years earlier just picture perfect. Entry was high behind his other shoulder and his leg bone stopped it low on the off side. He was still in great shape for his age and a monster bodied deer. i dont know how he survived that shot.

When the pressure got on..he came to his santuary. We had the two deer dressed and tenderloins grilled before dark.

Comment

Old Timer

For several years i had a huge ten pt with split brows and kickers off both g2s. He was on the hit list but we just never got it done. At 8 or 9 years old, he just quit showing up on camera and i figured he was dead. The day before rifle season, my Dad and I were driving down a forestry road just checking out the hunters that were out scouting the DCNF. There were people everywhere we looked. We drove around untill about noon and headed home. about 3/4 mile from one of my santuaries, a big buck jumped right out i the road. I immediately recognized the deer even though he had gone down hill a little.
                                I knew he wouldnt have been out like that with all the people in the woods unless someone spooked him bad. I told dad, "He knows where the santuary is and thats where hes headed". Now i had not seen nor had pics of him in two years but i grabbed a bag of corn and put it out in one of my little lanes right in the edge of my santuary and sprayed it down good. The next morning , i sat another stand with my daughter holding a rifle and we passed a couple of shooters but not what she was looking for. That evening, i planned to sit with her again but I had been thinking about taht old deer all day. Instead of sitting with her, i got her set up and sneaked in behind some youpons with a camp stool situated where i could see the edge of the santuary and corn pile.

At 330 pm I got a txt from my daughter that she had three bucks on her corn already. When i looked back up from reading , there was a lone doe in my corn. She was reallyinterested in something back in the thicket and could barely eat. At 405pm, she bolted out and in walked the old ten. I quickly killed him. In seconds, my daughter txt and asked if that was me taht shot. I affirmed that it was and she txt back,"ME NEXT". While i was reading it, i heard her shoot. She killed a nice 5.5 year old 11pt that she had passed that morning even though i gave her the go ahead on him.

When i dressed the old geezer, I found a 100gr Muzzy between his shoulder and ribs that was totally encased in gristle. It had about 4 inches of arrow on it that went back into his chest cavity. Amazingly, he had been shot several years earlier just picture perfect. Entry was high behind his other shoulder and his leg bone stopped it low on the off side. He was still in great shape for his age and a monster bodied deer. i dont know how he survived that shot.

When the pressure got on..he came to his santuary. We had the two deer dressed and tenderloins grilled before dark.
                                Pics please

Comment

Working...
                                X