Seller Refusing to Sign Over Car Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seller Refusing to Sign Over Car Title

Our middle son is Army Infantry stationed at Fort Campbell, KY. He found a truck from an individual on craigslist and paid the guy $13k cash and got a bill of sale from the guy for that amount. The title was "with his bank in Minnesota" and he told our son he'd have it to him in 10 days. This was last Friday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52513860815__D280C520-B004-40A4-ADF8-58EF6ECB38EF (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	25123432

Yesterday he gets this text from the guy:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	grw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	25123431

What's the proper next step besides calling the guy out? Contact police? Lawyer?
    Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

I'd contact both!

Comment

Sellers signature on that bill of sale acknowledges receipt of $13,000, NOT $11,900.

Take him to court if you have to.

Comment

This will be a good thread and go well over 3 pages.

Comment

I'd go police first but my guess is it's a civil matter and they won't do anything. I seriously doubt a lawyer can do anything other than maybe get a judgement that's going to be impossible to collect. I hate to say it, but I think your son just learned a harsh lesson in life. I really hope I'm dead wrong. Best of luck to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
            This will be a good thread and go well over 3 pages.
            Yes. Good luck sorting this out.

Comment

Oh boy

Comment

I dont believe that bill of sale acts as a receipt. I can't believe he would do that to someone ... Just wow. Wish it was a cashier's check.

Good luck to yall getting it figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldstein View Post
                  Sellers signature on that bill of sale acknowledges receipt of $13,000, NOT $11,900.

Take him to court if you have to.
                  Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                    Wish it was a cashier's check.
                    First thing I told him.

He had a friend from his unit with him, so he has a solid case. I'm afraid it's still gonna be a costly lesson.
                    Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Good luck is all I got..

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
                        First thing I told him.

He had a friend from his unit with him, so he has a solid case. I'm afraid it's still gonna be a costly lesson.

Have your son take a few more of his buddies from his unit and they can sort it out themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
                          First thing I told him.

Especially to be that far off - Feel horrible for the young man.

Bill of sale just shows the transfer for a price, but does not confirm receipt, I dont believe.

Comment

What you going to do with taking him to court. Nothing. There is an $1100 dollar discrepancy. Spend 5 grand on an attorney? Not a good option. Small Claims? Maybe? You have paperwork signed by the original title holder. Take that and file for a new title without the old one. Tell them nothing other than you don't have access to the title but you are the owner as you have a bill of sale. If there is a title discrepancy after the fact, make him prove it. Make him be the one doing the foot work because you will always have a bill of sale in that amount and you have the car. Just walk into the county office where you have to register and register that sucker.

Also read the Bill of sale where he signed it. "This statement is true and correct under penalty of law."

Comment

Working...
                            X