How are the fall food plots so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
    The deer haven't touched the turnips or radishes. They certainly like the wheat, oats and rye.
    Turnips and radishes seem to be popular in certain areas and in other areas nothing will eat them. I do not know if certain types of soil causes the turnips to taste bad or the deer have enough browse not to want them.

They eat the heck out of them here.

Comment

I planted a couple of acres of oats. Just horse feed oats from the feed store. Drawing the deer, but could use some rain.
      They got a decent rain right after I planted them, but not much since.

Comment

How do you guys keep the hogs from tearing these up? I thought about putting out some oats and rye but I'd just be pissin in the wind with the hogs. Really don't think it even sprout. They'd probably root the seed right out of the ground soon after it was thrown.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
          I'll grab pictures next time I am on the river. But when I was there last Thursday, they looked very full.

Bosque County has had warmer than normal temps up to now and timely rains along with a record acorn drop. So plots have been getting grazed on very sparingly.

Rwc
          As promised.......Plots are looking real good. Should draw and hold plenty deer come late winter cold snaps.
          Attached Files

Comment

As promised.......Plots are looking real good. Should draw and hold plenty deer come late winter cold snaps.
            RWC your plots look GREAT.
            I'm in Bosque County as well and haven't faired nearly as well.

Do you mind sharing your food plot prep, process and implementation, what you plant, when, how, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
              RWC your plots look GREAT.
              I'm in Bosque County as well and haven't faired nearly as well.

Do you mind sharing your food plot prep, process and implementation, what you plant, when, how, etc?

Post 44.

Post 37

Hope this helps.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                How do you guys keep the hogs from tearing these up? I thought about putting out some oats and rye but I'd just be pissin in the wind with the hogs. Really don't think it even sprout. They'd probably root the seed right out of the ground soon after it was thrown.
                They didn't seem to touch my little plot. Our neighbor across the road, who runs a feedlot, plants a big field in oats to graze cattle before they go into the feedlot. They don't tear that up too bad, either. However, when that same guy was planting corn on our property, the hogs would go down the rows and eat the seed out. That's why they quit planting corn.

Comment

Thank you! I actually get my seed from Clifton Feed as well.
                  This year I was a little late getting the seed in the ground (early November).
                  Maybe that had an effect. I also noticed you plant and cover 3 times. I always do one spread and then one cover. I think I’m not seeding enough.

Your plowed plots look way cleaner than mine. I never can quite get the grasses all out before planting

Comment

Thank you! I actually get my seed from Clifton Feed as well.
                    This year I was a little late getting the seed in the ground (early November).
                    Maybe that had an effect. I also noticed you plant and cover 3 times. I always do one spread and then one cover. I think I’m not seeding enough.

Your plowed plots look way cleaner than mine. I never can quite get the grasses all out before planting
                    Early November is not to late to get seed in the ground in our region. I don’t think that the November timing had a negative this year.

As for as my plots being clean looking. My plots get plowed during the prep phase multiple times. Starting in August I start turning the straw and dead grasses under. In all honestly I might turn it under 4 maybe 5 times before seed slinging.
                    On seed slinging and covering the seed. I sling all peas and bigger seed first in my deep plowed plot, then back drag. Then I sling all my oat and wheat size seeds, then I back drag them with a real light home made chain link drag. Third, I top certain plots with a three clover seed blend. I do not back drag or cover the clover seed.

I have planted this way with the same or very similar blends for 30 years. I have lots of confidence in this planting. Has always drawn deer and seems to be a tuff plot.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                      Oh My plots get a little love from the dad gum hogs. But normally it’s only under the pecans and oaks during late season. I did notice some fresh rooting in my lower river plot yesterday while walking out.

Rwc

Comment

My plots are ate down pretty short.

Comment

Yep, hogs are no good!

Rwc
                          Attached Files

Comment

As for as my plots being clean looking. My plots get plowed during the prep phase multiple times. Starting in August I start turning the straw and dead grasses under. In all honestly I might turn it under 4 maybe 5 times before seed slinging.
                            Great knowledge here. I've always just plowed once and then spread seed. I will try this method next fall.

On seed slinging and covering the seed. I sling all peas and bigger seed first in my deep plowed plot, then back drag.
                            What do you back drag with here?

Comment

Great knowledge here. I've always just plowed once and then spread seed. I will try this method next fall.

What do you back drag with here?
                              A heavy harrow with a pipe the same width as the harrow attached with small chain off both sides of the harrow. The pipe ends up being approx. 4 feet behind the harrow running parallel with the back side to side support member.

I should also clarify, on the years I fertilize my plots, I might turn them under a couple more times. But if your plot is not within a timbered area, you might be able to get away with a couple passes....

Here is what I topped my loewer river plot with this past season, Clifton Feed and Service Center stocks it or something real similar starting in late August. Just tell Sherry at the feed store you want what I bought if you can't locate it.

Rwc
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BigCohiba View Post
                                This is near Sam Rayburn? I'd be curious to know what you planted and how it's doing. I'm planning to get serious about food plots this next year...
                                Yes on Rayburn, I plant Turnips which has been their favorite this year, oats, red clover, and this year I added radishes and mustard greens and rye as a filler. Mustard greens didn't grow well but they have destroyed the turnips and hammered the radishes. I had to replant the oats as they burned up this year, but they are eating on them also. I planted the buck forage oats last year and this year last year they did awesome! deer loved them and in the spring they grew up and seeded oats everywhere. I planted them to early this year and lack of rain etc they all died.

Comment

Working...
                                X