Dove plot questions (George West area)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove plot questions (George West area)

I’m thinking about trying some dove plots in George West next year. I’d like to do it as correct as possible but will be limited to broadcasting the seed. I have access to two 10-13 acre fields. No real way to irrigate so will rely on rain. I understand deer will most likely hammer sunflower. So any experience in what I should try first: sesame, millet, milo or a mix of them? Fairly sandy soil as well. Thanks for any help.

Dry land crop without deer protection and broadcast planting method would have me leaning towards brown top millet. Good luck

Comment

I planted sesame and it grew like a house on fire. It was dry land, but had rain. The only thing I wish I had done that I didn't is spray for grass. The Johnson grass got thick in it.
      Neither the hogs nor the deer touched it.
      You can get it at Pogues for $300 per 50 pound sack.

Comment

Also, mine was drilled in but I don't see why you couldn't broadcast it, as well. What I've read says not to plant it too awful deep. Disc, then broadcast and drag.

Comment

How many acres did you plant in sesame?

Comment

Birds were sparse, though.

Comment

Discuss aging, scoring, management ideas and all things related to improving hunting conditions

Comment

Sesame is supposed to be good stuff, but at $300/50# bag, I believe id be planting something a lot cheaper like milo... The deer wont hit it much after it gets a foot or two tall. I planted 4 acres last year at home and had pretty decent with it. I didn’t get to shred it until mid season though so that hurt me. I would still however call it a success as the doves hit it pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                  Sesame is supposed to be good stuff, but at $300/50# bag, I believe id be planting something a lot cheaper like milo... The deer wont hit it much after it gets a foot or two tall. I planted 4 acres last year at home and had pretty decent with it. I didn’t get to shred it until mid season though so that hurt me. I would still however call it a success as the doves hit it pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Yeah, it is expensive for sure. Likely because it is popular. And not ready to the available, either. I didn't plant milo or millet because of the potential for hogs to knock down the crop and eat the seed.
                  There were some beds in the field while the stuff was growing, and later on in the season they rooted up the ground, but they do that everywhere. The planted crop was not a factor IMO.

Comment

Thanks. Any other experiences/ suggestions?

Comment

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just ordered a bag from Orange Grove co op for $241.50. They said it is the shattering kind and is strictly for wildlife food plots.

Comment

Working...
                        X