Last Weekend at the Lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Weekend at the Lease

The board has been kinda slow, so I will tell ya a little update on my weekend.

I took DJ out of school at lunch and headed to the lease. One of the other hunters told me to hunt #10 they had been seeing lots there. The feeder was out of corn and we saw 6 pigs that did not give a shot. The wind was good, but they had killed 3 hogs off that feeder the previous weekend and that may have them spooked.

Sat morning I put her in a tripod I had set up the weekend before. My youngest Kelby had tried to get a shot at an 8 pt there but could never get the perfect position. My girls are well schooled on what is an acceptable shot. The feeder ran before light and deer were at the corn. When it got light enough, I identified the two bucks, a three year old 10 pt we could not shoot and the same 3 year old 8 from the previous week. I am in the box blind with video camera and binos a hundred yards away. She has a radio and ear bud. I call and tell her she has the green light for the 8 pt. She never gets drawn back in the 30 min we was around the feeder.

I was a little hard on her, and she let me know I was not being supportive enough. Hum....that night we hunted a new spot and saw only a couple of pigs with no shot.

We showed the video of the 8 pt to the other guys on the lease. They agreed on the age and that he would be a good cull buck, so back we go to get him Sun morning. Well I set the feeder for 15 mins later and it was perfect. Still not shooting light, but close.

I see deer moving in and pick up my binos, a huge body but can't see the antlers. I tell her on the radio a buck is coming and he might be a trophy. On our lease a "trophy" has to be at least 10 pts and at least 5 yrs old. In other words a real good deer. As it gets light, I see he is a perfect 10, I judge him to be in the 150 class and 5 yrs old. A truly beautiful animal. Worth the penality if I am wrong. I tell DJ, take that 10!!!!!

I spend the next 30 mins on pins and needles. I am shaking from the adrendlin and I don't even have a bow. There are 4 other bucks around the feeder as well as the good one. Several times I see bucks look toward her direction. I know she is tring to get drawn. Finally the bucks spook a little and leave at a fast walk. I call and ask if she shot...although I already know the answer. She could never get drawn. The little bucks busted her every time she moved even a little.

I spent the next two hours removing the tri-pod and brushing in a tent blind in the same location. I have watched the tape 3 times. That was a nice deer. I can only hope we get another chance at him this coming weekend. Very exciting, sorry no LDPs, REALLY SORRY!

Maybe Buff can post a video clip if I can get it to him sometime.

Maybe she will get her this weekend. Good luck!

Comment

Sounds like you had a good time. I hope she gets her shot.

Comment

send it to me and I will post it up. I'm sure some how her not getting a shot was YOUR fault it must really be a challange always hunting with females. I hunt with a couple myself an anything that goes wrong is always my fault either thru my actions or poor planning on my part

Comment

Chunky do your girls ever gun hunt?

Comment

Chunky:

Thanks for the update. I felt as though I was there with you in the blind.

Wish I could add something to the board but East Texas has been very slow for me this year. Hopefully, with the colder weather and acorns being eaten up, the activity will increase. I feel the primary rut is about over and hoping for a secondary in Dec. Best of luck to your daughter. Hope the big 10 goes down.

Doug Key

Comment

Great story Chunky. Slow week on the board or not, that was worth posting. That setup is the same setup my father and I had when I harvested my first deer with a bow (less the ear piece). I was in a tripod over a feeder and he was 100yds away in a tower blind watching thru binoculars. He was able to see everything and it was a great way to share the experience.

With the school holiday for Thanksgiving hopefully yall can get down there a few extra days and make something happen.

While I am sure your daughter kept her composure like a seasoned pro, I hope you had the camera on a tripod. I get motion sickness watching home videos when the person running the camera has buck fever.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Chris, yes the camera is on a tri-pod and the video is as good as can be expected from the distance, except for no shot.

Buff, Yes they are girls and of course it is my fault, I just have gotten use to being blamed... but they are still good huntin buddies all the same. On the up side, they are cleaner, smell better, and are more hugable than a son would be. And besides that, they are pretty enough that someone will eventually take them off my hands.

DJ has never gun hunted, although she is a fine shot. Kelby killed deer and hogs with a rifle, but is now bowhunting only. While they are not afraid of the gun, they don't like the noise and kick. They also like the praise they get when they get some thing with the bow. There are 17 hunters plus family on our lease and only my family and one other guy bowhunt, the others are all gun hunters.

Comment

Mark, ya gotta bring your girls out for the rabbit hunt. I think they would enjoy it. Should be a lot of shot opportunities. I plan on having my kids out with me for the morning hunt. I also need to check to see when quail season closes. Lot of quail out there.

I really enjoy reading about the kids' hunting stories.

Comment

Working...
                  X