Am I the only one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one?

That hunts quail and dove with stickbow?

*Note: I did NOT say "successfully".

I hunt dove with my recurve...but not successfully. I have come veryclose. Maybe one day.

Comment

I finally hit one a couple weeks ago with a judo. It flopped a couple times then flew off. I declare the dove is the toughest bird there is. But, it was a 35 yard shot and one of the tangs may have hung something before hitting the bird. It had been feeding on red ants when I took the shot. It didn't look like the arrow skipped, but maybe I was deceived. Well, I assume it was feeding on the ants, it may have been just getting the gravel off their mound for its craw too.

Comment

I bet ya shotgun shells are cheaper than arrows, it is still fun to hunt birds with a shotgun

Comment

I have killed about 25 doves, and one quail with bow. Some of the doves had just left a limb or the ground, but nothing like pass shooting.

If you wait until they are close, and relaxed, you can get about one per dozen shots.

Comment

We use to (try to) hunt pheasant like that. Never was any good at it
            Jeff Young

Comment

Shotgun shells may be cheaper than arrows, but you can only shoot them once without reloading. One of the arrows I build I can shoot several dozen times unless I hit rock straight on or it gets lost. But, I do hunt dove with a shotgun as well. However, I was just curious if there were others that used their bow.
              Last edited by LostHawg; 11-03-2006, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I get several bob white every year while bowhunting(on the ground).

One morning I got a 15 bird limit of Blue Quail off a feeder I set up right in the middle of about six large coveys of blues, though some were calleteral damage when they would all try to use the same cow trail to escape while I was drawing(couple were even sort of in the air). Used delta 4 edge and blunts with 9ga X wire and whacked them when the different coveys were fighting over the milo.

I've shot four of five dove off the ground and fence but never in the air, I think thats a lost cause on dove.

Comment

I have shot several dove and quail off the ground with my bow...but it wasn't much of a challenge. I have been trying to get a dove while pass shooting...just not yet.

Comment

I know a lot of folks, myself included, begin/began their bowhunting going straight for the bigger game; deer and hogs. Can't really say as I blame them, but wouldn't their accuracy improve 10 fold if they worked on being proficient at the smaller game first? Especially squirrels and rabbits. But, dude, sure is fun trying for quail and dove. I had one dove carry my arrow 10 feet through the air. I was surprised to say the least. But, it sure brings your accuracy to center.

Comment

I got ya I have got a couple quial with my bow while in the deer stand

Comment

I have tried to shoot dove in the air pass shooting with my bow but they can easily dodge the arrow. Never thought about letting them pass and shooting them going away. That might would work.

I was trying to shoot a dove one day sitting on a hog waller/pond but they would not let me draw. I was sitting about 12yds away in the grass so I raised my bow to the ready draw and held it waiting for one to land but they kept flaring off even without my moving. I was starting to think these were the smartest dove in the world when right in front of me at the edge of the pond a huge bobcat stood up in the grass. Where he came from I don't know but I made a back quiver out of him. I would have never been able to have gotten a shot on the bobcat if I had not had my bow at the ready-ready.

Comment

I've shot several of the collared dove that would land in the yard after I plowed it last spring.

Comment

I was thinking about finding a couple of 50cal ammo cans full of Vietnam era 12ga shotgun plachets and using a plastic 35mm film canister on the end of a flu-flu as a launcher for aerial wing shooting for dove and quail.

Until 1983 we could bowfish Trout and Redfish but the push back then and still now by GCCA nixed their bowfishing. I sure would like to be able to bowfish Redfish.
                            Last edited by Thumper; 11-03-2006, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I've taken both dove and quail with field points on the ground! I've even nocked feathers from the backs of quail on the wing with a judo point, but haven't as of yet been able to nock one down out of the air.

If I had a place that wasn't so thick, and had a lot of quail that would hold for a dog, I'd try to take more on the wing with my bow.

One thing about it, you would surely come home with a bow arm that was tired from all that shooting!

Comment

Working...
                              X