going traditional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going traditional

Well today I went to Bass Pro and was only planning on looking at some recurves. I had been looking online and for some reason got the desire to start shooting one. Well I fell in love with the Martin Rebel..I shot it in the range there for a while and bought it. Now I guess I just got to practice and get where I will feel comfortable shooting at a deer. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Welcome to traditional bowhunting its a lot of fun and very rewarding! The biggest mistake new traditional bowhunters make is trying to shoot to heavy a bow, this causes poor form, poor shooting, and poor results with the bowhunter not sticking with traditional bowhunting.

I would start with a 25lb-35lb bow for the first couple months. This will allow you to develop your shooting style and form without picking up any bad habits from being over bowed, even if you are shooting 85lb compounds start with a light weight bow. I would practice at 7 to 10 yards max shooting at least a 100 arrows a day, half with you eyes closed. I would keep this bow for periodic form training and for off/rest days after you have shot to much the day before.

Then after a couple of months pick up a 45lb bow and practice out to 10 to 15 yards shooting at least 75 arrows a day. I would shoot this bow as well for a couple of months as you build up your traditional bow shooting strength and cement your shooting style. Make sure when you are having a bad day(poor accuracy) you move closer to the target and its equally important you do not shoot past 15yrds. After two months with the 45lb bow you will be shooting tight groups out to 15yrds.

Now you are ready for your first hunting weight traditional bow, one around 50lbs+/- and after shooting it for a couple months you should be slapping 60 arrows a day in tight groups out to 15-20 yards. What you have been doing by shooting at the closer ranges with the lighter bows is programming the computer between your ears to the same sight picture as your hunting bow without cluttering things up trying to shoot the longer distances before you have a good foundation and start on traditional shooting.

I'm a pretty good shot but its not because I'm a great shot, its because I've shot the same bow for the last 15yrs.

Comment

welcome, feel free to ask away.

Comment

Come on Mark, be honest with him and tell him what an addiction he has gotten into.

Comment

Hey Bob,

Well, I think my best analogy is that traditional bowhunting is like coffee.....everyone doesn't like it, but those that do...can't seem to function without it!

8 am and I am on here checking the board....my name is Mark and I have a problem.

Comment

Working...
          X