Started My Flatbed Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started My Flatbed Build

Well, if anyone who owns a 2014 or newer RAM 2500 and has thought about changing those tall bedsides for a nice flatbed, you may have been told that to make it work you would have to add some spacers to clear the factory suspension/gooseneck cross member, which would raise the bed floor a total of about 8" above the stock height. I was also told by my local dealer that a flatbed on a 2500 with the coil rear suspension was not possible, then he tried selling me a 3500 cab and chassis. Well, that was all it took for me to accept the challenge.

I didn't want the bed floor any taller, and I didn't want to settle for having to climb on my tire to get something into my bed. So, I officially began the build today. We are working this build as a county fair project, so the kids helped me pull the bed and square the frame. That's about as far as we got today because the rest of our materials aren't coming in until tomorrow. Hopefully they will come early so we can get some work done. Will update pictures tomorrow.

P.S. Our show date is Oct. 13th, so wish us luck.

Subscribed.....good luck on the build and please post many pics

Comment

I've seen lots of single wheel new dodges with flatbeds and they all look normal. Is this a specific brand of flatbed that you were told this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

I will do the best I can. Im not really good at keeping up with pics, but I will get them when I can remember. If there is anything specific you guys want to see, just let me know and I will do my best to get some good pictures.

Comment

Feel free to ask any questions if this is your first build, I used to work for a welding shop that built a lot of flat beds.

Comment

Following along sounds like i great project

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
              I've seen lots of single wheel new dodges with flatbeds and they all look normal. Is this a specific brand of flatbed that you were told this?

They look normal, but to mount them is a hassle. The frame rails are not straight nor parallel like on the older models, or the 3500s. Also, with the cross member in the way, they have to be raised to clear. I see them all the time too, same body style and all, but most all the ones I have seen are all 2010 - 2013 and still have the leaf spring suspension. I know this because Im not afraid to crawl around under someone else's truck if its in a parking lot somewhere ; although I do check ot make sure nobody is around to think Im up to no good . The kicker is for the 14 and newer. I have seen a couple of them with the coil rearend at some livestock shows, but they were tall, and the headache rack stuck up above the cab so far it looked odd. Im not sure if there is a company out there making them to fit these trucks, but I haven't found it if there is. The dealers I have talked to are some local guys that sell Neckover and Gooseneck.

The main reason I didn't search real hard for a factory build bed is because I like to build stuff like this, and I cant afford to buy one.
              Last edited by Bucksaw; 09-13-2016, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                They look normal, but to mount them is a hassle. The frame rails are not straight nor parallel like on the older models, or the 3500s. Also, with the cross member in the way, they have to be raised to clear. I see them all the time too, same body style and all, but most all the ones I have seen are all 2010 - 2013 and still have the leaf spring suspension. I know this because Im not afraid to crawl around under someone else's truck if its in a parking lot somewhere; although I do check ot make sure nobody is around to think Im up to no good. The kicker is for the 14 and newer. I have seen a couple of them with the coil rearend at some livestock shows, but they were tall, and the headache rack stuck up above the cab so far it looked odd. Im not sure if there is a company out there making them to fit these trucks, but I haven't found it if there is. The dealers I have talked to are some local guys that sell Neckover and Gooseneck.

The main reason I didn't search real hard for a factory build bed is because I like to build stuff like this, and I cant afford to buy one.
                I got ya. Now you say that I did see a dodge the other day where the headache stuck way up above the cab. I thought it was the wrong bed or something. Makes sense.

Comment

Just keep the front to rear rails setting on the frame. The posts that stick up and out from the frame are very prone to cracking. It's not a great picture but you can see how I do it so the weight of the bed is on the frame. It also keeps the bed height lower as well.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is what we eventually got to yesterday. mounted up the LED tails temporarily to keep me legal, sort of.

Its hard to tell from this picture, but the frame rail is not straight. It bends and crooks in and out.

Here is the cross member I have to work around. It sticks up about 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" depending on which side you measure from. I cut my main rail 2" to clear it and there is plenty of clearance for the cross member and the wire loom on the driver side. This is also going to be one of the mounting points for the bed as I am utilizing the gooseneck cross member to tie it all together.

Those 4 bolts (5/8") will hold a plate that ties into the bed, so the gooseneck cross member will be an attachment point.

Last edited by Bucksaw; 09-14-2016, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Here is the basic frame we got accomplished over the last 2 days. We would have gotten more but the metal delivery truck didn't get here until after lunch, and all my shop classes are before lunch. But, the good news is we can get a good bit knocked out tomorrow.

The frame is upside down in this picture. The left side is the front, and the channel iron bolts to the factory front bed mounts. The back mounts (on the right) bolt into the three factory receiver hitch mounting holes. I figure if its strong enough for the factory hitch, it will be strong enough for my needs, especially with the extra attachment points Im integrating. You can also see the clearance cuts to clear the factory cross member. My plan is to reinforce that spot with some 2x3 tubing welded on top of the relief cut to restore the rigidity of that section.

Last edited by Bucksaw; 09-14-2016, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Started My Flatbed Build

Better get something to cover those tires for the time being! We ran one of my dads work trucks without the bed for like 1/2 day and busted out the back glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That thought has crossed my mind several times over the last 2 days. By tomorrow afternoon it SHOULD have fenders on it, if all goes to plan. Bought some 36" trailer fenders that will cover the majority of the tire. May even extend them to cover the whole tire if I can find some 16g scrap.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                            Feel free to ask any questions if this is your first build, I used to work for a welding shop that built a lot of flat beds.
                            Got my first question for you. Do you guys integrate the factory fuel filler neck of us aftermarket ones?

Comment

Just a thought but now might be a good time to think about separating the DEF and fuel fillers to avoid accidentally adding DEF to your fuel tank

Comment

Working...
                              X